A View From the Field








Previous Months








November 16

Debbie Speck inviting you to join in honoring Sharon Smith:

Sharon I. Smith was a dear friend of mine who passed away at the age of 81 on November 7, 2022. She loved the color blue, her cats, singing in the choir at church and her home in Copper Harbor with the most spectacular view of Lake Superior. Sharon was a strong, very independent woman who valued her privacy but when she did socialize could talk your ear off. We were friends for over 36 years, and she often spoke of wanting to take her last breath in her beautiful home overlooking the lake and be buried with her parents in Livonia, Michigan. I promised my friend I would make sure to honor her last wishes and have set up this GOFUNDME page to help defray the costs of both the funeral and the burial next to her parents. Please join me in honoring her final wish.

Sharon Smith Memorial GOFUNDME page

Sharon's final Journal entry:


November 1

I'm sorry, I'll have to do this tomorrow. It was another interesting day, but there's something wrong with Front Page and it would take me hours, and probably a System Restore to get it right. You'll hear about it tomorrow.


October 31 - Reformation Day

I don't really know why I haven't written for two nights, but I'm sorry, Nothing was going on. I can''y see and I can't walk - or nearly. gut today was different. 


I had to get up by 10 AM to get to my appointment, which was not enough sleep, but I did it. Then it took me an hour to get dressed and another hour to make and eat my breakfast, even though it's about the fastest. I stopped at the bathroom and somehow I managed to get down th e steps nd to the car.


And then...All the doors were lockd. Or I think they were all locked. I was moving so slowly and with such difficulty that there was no way I could even consider checking the other side. So I managed - barely - to get back into the house and sat down. 


First I called the doctor's office to reschedule my appointment - it's for Friday now .Then Istarted to try to get somebody to open my doors. What they never told me was that when I lost my collision coverage, I also lost my road service, although they did agree to perform the service on ,my dime. Actually, on my $162. The first place they called said they didn't have anyone available. I know about that, too. The second one said tget wiykd cine fir $162. I attakjed to them , but then I missed a call round 3 PM and bibidt ever came. It was too late to call the,m back when I noticed their call, so I'll have to do it tomorrow.




The weather for the past tree days has been clear and mostly breezy, with high temperature in the middle 50s!. It would be boring if it wasn't so pretty.. We don't expect weather like this in late October.


Grayson has been hovering around me like he knows something isn't right, and this afternoon, he actually jumped onto my all by himself.


So now I can totter up to the bathroom and lay ,y little head on my little pillow. A while ago, I saw the thick crescent moon, but now it's gone behind a tree.


It's a clear, cool night in the field and maybe I can remember tomorrow..



October 28

I don't remember when I got to bed last night, but  it was round or before midnight. I slept well, wotj tje usual; wakeups, and I got up around noon. My need for sleep, of course. i juxg sat until around 4 PM 


i should have made rice, but by the tine I made it to the kitchen, I was hungry, and it took me an hour to make my dinner anyway. and I had to sit down at least three times. Today it was a bad back.


Now I'm tired again.


Oh, and I had a terrible time dropping things on the floor in the dark. I think I got everything bac, including the washer from my insant thermometer that I lot!! I was sure I'd mever see that again. I' m not sure I can get it back together - there are several problems - but at least i have all the parts again.


The weather was really nice. We're still having our Indian summer. The sky wa clear. The high temperature was 58º and there was a wind from the southwest with gusts as high as 25 mph early in the morning. Later. the wind was mostly under 10 mph. the humidity was down in the range I liike it.


Grayson mostly slept, a;though he wanted to be petted a lot.


Sp tjat's a;; tjere was and now I must go to bed. It's a warm, clear  night in the fieod.


October 27

I got to bed between 12 and 1 had a pretty good night. I didn't hurt as much, so even though I was up a lot, I didn't have much trouble getting back to sleep. I think I got up shortly after noon, but then I just sat. I just didn't want to move.


The weather was OK. It was cloudy all day, and the high temperature was 49º. There was a light wind from the southwest - under 10 mph. Mostly the humidity was reasonable. 


Grayson mostly slept beside my feet, but when I started to get dressed, he got cranky.  When I had my dinner, he wanted soome, but I think he knows he won't get any of what I had. After I finished eating, he came and settled down sitting on my right arm until it went to sleep and then curling up inside my elbow. I still don't konw if he's sick or he thinks I am.


Today my knee isn't too bad - except that it collapses occasionally - but my right shoulder is really sore when I try to get up, which makes it hard.


So now it's a dark, cloudy night in the field and I will bo to bed.


October 26

I got to bed around 12:30 last night, I think, buii I didn't sleep very well. I was up about every 2 hours and my legs were sore. I think I got up between 11 and 11:30, but I don't remember. I had planned to wash my heir but I got lost in the phone and didn't. I did get my fish and it was good.


The weather was cool or cold - anything where they report a wind chill is cold - It was cloudy when I got up and I wasn't paying attention until I looked up several hours later and the sun was shining brightly in a blue sky. The higm temperature was 43º and the wind was mostly from the northwest. It wasn't very strong, but there were gusts up to 30 mph before it cleared up.


Grayson mostly slept, i think, although he chewed me out when I was so late getting his dinner - at least until he ate it. It's one of his faves. Then he chowed down and went back to sleep.


My knwwa and shoulders are really sore, so I just can't do  anything. Getting up is extremely painful and when I have to do something, like cook, I have to sit down once or twice just to ease the pain in my knees. It's discouraging and I doubt the Primary care provider will be able to do much for me. Wel,, we'll see on Monday.


Now it's a clear, cold night in the field and maybe I can get to bed a bit earlier tonight.



October 25

Last night it was midnight and I got up at noon. It wasn't all sleep, though. I did not have a good night. In part it's because it's hot in the bedroom again, but I hurt and I was uncomfortable. I did sleep between about 0 AM and noon, and I don't feel as tired, so maybe I just need 13 hours of sleep.


I diddled around long enough to have one meal and a snack, but I haven't been very hungry. Maybe i'll get my fish tomorrow.


I did finally do one thing, though. I have had about 3 weeks of mail lying on the floor beside the chair in the office - Grayson has liked sleeping on it - and I decided I should sort it and get rid of all the political stuff. It's odd that that has all been Republican. Anyway, among the good stuff was my absentee ballot, which I will try to do before Friday, and my debit card from SNB, which appears to have come a couple of weeks ago. Oops. So now everything is nicely sorted and I can throw away the garbage, maybe.


THe weather was nondescript. it was bright cloudy. The high temperature was 51º and the wind was mostly variable from the west to northwest and now very strong. Blah.


Grayson mostly slept betweeh my feet before I got dressed. My breakfast didn't interest him much nor did my cheese, so he has gone off somewhere now. He was yelling at me while I made his dinner, and he he has eaten it all. He likes that kind.


So that was my truncated day and as soon as the Beethoven finishes, I will be tottering up to the north end again. It's a cool, cloudy night in the field.


October 24

So I turned out the light around 2 AM and got up around 1 PM, so I should have had enough sleep,but I've been tired and hurting all day.


I forgot to mention that I filled all the pill dispensers yesterday, but it just sort of happened. I'm taking so many fewer pills lately that it's not so much of  job, Or maybe I was just on autopilot.


It wasn't such a nice day today. It was cloudy and breezy for most of the day. The high temperature was 66º with a south wind that was as strong as 40 mph. although it's died down a lot now. There was a bit of sunshine, but not a lot.


Grayson mostly slept. I it's because the weather is about to change, but we'll see. We worry about each other.


And that's all that happebed. I'm listening to Dvorak now, but as soon as that's over with, I can go to bed.


It's a warm, cloudy night in the field.


October 23

Well, this was a  weird day. I had to pee, and when I looked at the clock, I thought it was either 10:15 or 11:15, but in fact, it was 12:15, so I had to go back in the bedroom and get my glasses. I didn't really want to get up, but I knew if I didn't it would probably be at least 3 PM before I got up and that would start a new cycle of late nights and no time to do any business.


So I got up and eventually got something to eat, but I didn't eat the third piece of toast. I did my surfing and my reading, although I'm not seeing very well today. I haven't moved. Dinner was the third piece of toast and some spreadable cheese. I didn't want to get up and I didn't want anything in the house that I have to eat, so I didn't. I feel better after my toast, but I don't know how long that's going to last.


The weather was warm and breezy. The high temperature was 66º and the wind was from the south with gusts up to 41 mph. It was clear and blue until around 4:30, then the cloudsd moved in, bu tit looked to be clear at the end of twilight.


Grayson couldn't figure out what I was doing, so he kept coming around and mewing, He was happiest this morning, when I was asleep and he was asleep on his back being propped up by the bathroom door. He looks so comfy when he does that.


So that was my weird day and now it's a clear (I think) dark night in the field because it's new moon.


October 22

I think I turned out the light around 1:30, but I had a terrible night. I hurt, not in the joints so much as around them and no matter which way I tried to sleep, I was in pain. I was up about every hour and a half and while I didn't get up until after noon, I did not get enough sleep.


I kind of fiddled around, but eventually I went down to the laundry room, got a new pair of sweats and started the load of underwear. Luckily, when I finished emptying the dryer, I found two more pairs of panties, because I needed them. I had a nasty accident later in the afternoon.


So I went up to the north end, because I had to find another pair of sweats and clean myself up, but I was so tired I that after I did that, I just sat. So I was there when Debbie called. How nice!


She is in the process of buying a condo and she has been nice enough to keep me up to date on how it's going. The latest is that she may be able to close on it next week, rather than waiting until November 11. She is so excited about it that it's fun to talk to her about it.


Anyway, we talked for at least a couple of hours. My phone didn't go to low battery until after she hung up, but I forgot that I could have plugged it in. I did that when I got back to the office with my dinner.


Something weird happened to my router this morning and I had no service until I finally power failed the router. It was working to the outside world but not in the house. Strange.


The weather was warmish but cloudy, at least until late in the afternoon, when it began to clear up.. I was sitting in the dark in the bathroom and I could see stars, so at least for a while it was clear. The high temperature was 58º and there was no wind. 


Grayson was somewhere around me all day. He knows I don't feel very good. He asked - once - for my dinner, but then he went away. Otherwise, I had some trouble steering around him.


So I am tired, but I think maybe my pains will go away. Let's hope. I need to be able to sleep.


Now it's a cark, possibly clear, warmish night in the field.


October 21

I think it was around 1:30 when I got to bed and I slept well until around 1 PM.  I was tired when I got up and it just got worse as the day went on , By dinnertime, I was so tired I just sat for a long time, in the bathroom, in the kitchen,,, When I get tired, I have a hard time seeing, and it' s rea;;u bad now. I need to go to bed.


The weather was so lovely, and I wish I could have stuck my nose outside. It was clear all day and thehigh teomperature was 60º (!), The wind was mostly from the northwest with gusts up to 26 mph. Shirley used to say there was always a cold spell in October, followed by a real "Indian Summer." That hason' happened reliably in the past 20 years, what with climate change and all, but it seems to be this year. We are having about a week of warm, sunny weather (they cay) before the rain moves in again. I'll take it.


Grayson was clingy again. I don't know if it's because I went away yeserday, or he knows I'm not wekk or he isn't well. Sometimes I can read his fuzzy little mind and sometime I just can't. He wanted my dinner, or course. He knows I brought in the other bag of kibble, and he wanted some, but I was otherwise engaged. He'll get it tomorrow.


SO that's all there is and it's a clear (I think) warm night in the field.


October 20

Well, I didn't dawdle much and I got my bath, although it was 1:30 before I got to bed and I was up several times. As usual, I woke up right before the alarm went off and I couldn't wait for it because I had to pee.  I did diddle around a bit because I had to wake up, but I was doing well and then I started reading something. 


I was pretty sure I would be late, and I was, a little more so because apparently the bridge was up and I had to wait for that. I wasn't too awfully late, though. '


I wasn't walking too well but the nice people at the dentist's office helped me get where I needed to be. I'm happy to say my teeth and gums are fine. 


THen it was off to home and I needed gas, which turned out to be difficult. I didn't stop at Pat's because there was nobody else there and their gas was 9¢ a gallon more than other stations. I did have a 30¢ coupon, but the last time I tried to use it, it wouldn't work, and the last time I got gas, the pumps didn't work.


So I went around the corner to the BP station where it was $4.199. And then the pump ate my card and wouldn't give it back, so I had to walk from the pump into the store - quite a way - to get help. Fortunately, the lady was was very nice about it. So I pumped gas, and while I was trying to top off the tank a guy shouted at me "Hey, there's a puddle of gas under your car. Oh, S**T.  Anyway, even with that, it only took about 19 gallons - and the bill made my hair stand up on end. Yikes! Thank goodness I don't use much gas anymore. And also, when the gauge reads 1/8, I still have about 7 gallons left. NIce to know.


I got home around 5:30.


The weather was cold and windy but sunny and blue. at least 5:30, when the clouds moved in. The high temperature was 47º and the wind was evidently all from Calumet south. The highest it was here was 10 mph from the north and for three hours in the late afternoon, it was calm. What a difference 40 miles can make! The humidity was quite low, too. It was so nice to see the sun and to glide down the hill and see all that blue, blue water. Superior blue is my favorite shade, but I've never seen any clothes that color.


Grayson wasn't around when I got home, but he did turn up later and he seems glad to see me, although he was mostly glad to see my dinner, that he didn't get any of. As I was rustling around this morning, I discovered that all the noise he was making in the middle of the night was because he got a mouse - the first one of the fall. I had to leave it, but I will have to pick it up and dispose of it tonight.. Not my favorite task. I wish I could train him to drop them into the toilet.


So that was my day and I'm exhausted. I was not walking well, but except for getting into the car this morning when my knee went out, I've been able to get up from sitting fairly well.


Now it's a cold, cloudy night in the field.


October 19

I was even later last night than the night before, but I did get almost 11 hours' sleep. I didn't diddle around, but I move so slowly that it was still late before I had breakfast.


I was trying to do some surfing and listen to ATC at the same time when the phone rang and the dentitt said, "can you come tomorrow?" Well, I wasn't about to say no, but it means I have to wash my hair tonight, not what I was planning, because I've been really tired all day, but I'll do it. I think I can get almost enough sleep and still make it to Houghton by 2 PM.


The camera hung up again, so when I got to the office, I reseated the plug. That whole cluster of USB connectors is sort of loose. It didn't want to stay up, so I untangled the cord. Unfortunately, in the course of doing that, I pulled the power cord, so I had to reboot. Sometime I guess I'm going to have to open up the case and see what I can do about that USB cluster Anyway, with a little more fiddling and being very careful when I rolled the case back into its spot, it was working fine. We'll see about tomorrow.


Unfortunately, it was 4:20 PM before I took the first picture of the day. The day started out cloudy and cold, but sometime in mid-afternoon, the last of the clouds went away and it was clear for a while, although it was cloudy at twilight. It's still windy, with gusts up to 33 mph, and cold -the temperature has finally risen to 45º. It was nice to see the sunshine, but this is a time of year when it shines right on the monitor for over an hour, and with the glare and my bad eyes, it's nearly impossible to read anything. O have the same trouble in the kitchen, where the sun shines in the windows and I can't see anything in and around the sink.


Grayson was very clingy today, for some reason. He got a lap sit and a lot of petting.


So that was my day and now I have to run away and wash my hair. It's a cold, windy night in the field.


October 18

I was really late last night, I guess because i was reading and it was interesting. I slept well; since I got rid of all the fluid, I've been able to sleep at least three hours between trips to the bathroom, although sometimes it's close. So I got up late and diddled around a bit, but I did get two meals in for the first time in a while. I am still moving slow, so getting my breakfast took some time. I started for the kitchen, via the powder room, to get dinner and ended up reading for an hour. It was a very interesting article, I don't read as fast as I used to, either, especially on the phone, where I have to enlarge the pages so much I have to move back and forth for each line. Sometimes and some sites are all right, but I'm not seeing very well today.


Anyway, dinner was good and it was nice to have more than one meal for a change.


When I get up, I check the weather and the camera, and this morning  (oops, afternoon) it had hung up. It seems to do that every time I have to reboot and I had to reboot yesterday afternoon, because something weird happened to the mouse driver. So I decided not to wait and tried to start the laptop. I discovered that the power cord had gotten disconnected from the wall  - how, I don't know how. I managed to get it plugged back in, but I had to stand up to do it. I think it's OK now. However, it confirmed the suspicion I"ve had for a while that the last battery I bought doesn't hold a charge. That's the second one. I am going to have to hassle Amazon about that. I think it was a week ago, at most, when I last turned it on, and surely it should have held at least a partial charge for that long! Good thing I keep it plugged in (usually) because it's usually some sort of emergency when I use it.


The weather is moderating, but very slowly. We had two hours of "breezy" before it went back to "windy"" The highest wind was between 8 and 9 AM, at 38 mph with 52 mph gusts.. The high temperature was 44º, but it was mostly steady around 42º. That puts the wind chill down around freezing. It's also been very humid. My knees and hips were tolerable, but my shoulders, particularly the right one, are very sore, which makes it even more difficult to get up.


We made the New York Times, although they didn't mention the Keweenaw, because they were talking about the snow and we didn't get any. That blob that has been hanging over Marquette for the last couple of days is finally moving slowly east - the center is over SSault Ste. Marie now Not only did they get around 16" over toward Marquette, it was that horrible, wet sticky stuff that is so hard to move. I'm glad it missed us. Oh, we'll get ours, but maybe not for a couple of weeks.


Grayson got a nice lap sit and short tummy rub, but he wanted more canned food, even though he has kibble. He thought he thought he wanted my dinner, too. One thing about Schwan's single servings is that there isn't enough for both of us, especially when I've been essentially fasting for several days.


So that's all there is. The lake is still singing, but maybe not quite as loudly. It probably won't bother me. I lie down and go right to sleep.


It's a cold, dark, windy night in the field.


October 17

I was late again last night, but I slept well, as i usually do when the lake is singing, and I got up around 11L30. And did nothing. There was a lot of reading in my surfing, but that's about all I did.


The lake is still singing tenor and the wind is blowing even stronger, but there hasn't been any rain or snow here. What rain there is started out from Ontonagon to Houghton to Marquette, and it's now centered on Marquette and being pushed south by very strong north winds. The highest sustained winds so far have been 33 mph and the highest gusts have been 53 mph, not together. The temperature has been pretty nearly steady at 40ºm although it's dropping off now. It's so cold in here that I'm going to have to try to figure out where to hook up the space heater.


Grayson got a short lap sit, but he wasn't comfortable. He keeps coming back and mewing at me, so I pet him a couple of times and he goes away again.


And that's it. It's a cold, extremely windy night in the field.


October 16

I didn't get to bed until 1:45 AM, but I did sleep well - until 1:15 PM. That should have been enough, but it wasn't. 


The reason, I think, is that I have the Shari virus. It's a little early, but that's definitely what it is. So I feel lousy and all I want to do is sleep. I hope to start doing that early tonight. At least my legs weren't too bad today.


The weather is in waiting mode, although the wind has started to rise in the past hour. The temperature was in the mid 40s and there was almost no wind until after 8 PM. but in the past hour it has risen to 20 mph with 30 mph gusts from the northeast. The low is over Lake Huron, more or less, so the wind will twist north as it moves. We are under a winter storm warning until 8 PM tomorrow and a lakeshore flooding warning until Tuesday afternoon. The waves will be so high, the water will wash over low-lying areas, including roads, on the north shore. When I'm glad I'm living on a rock pile in a harbor. This is way early for winter gale, but I remember the year we stayed for three weeks in the fall and got into one, although it didn't snow; That was the year we went over to Lac LaBelle to get away from the wind and found 10 lakers huddled in the lee of the peninsula. I wish I could find those pictures. Anyway, the funny thing about toda is that the Weather Underground has been pushing the onset of the rain ahead by an hour about every hour and the time of snow rather than rain has gotten a whole lot smaller.  I believe the NWS when they say we're going into a gale - sometime - but I'm a bit doubtful about  snow this early in the season.  Yes, the lake is warm, and yes, the air is going to get cold, but that warm lake warms up the air, too. We shall see what we shall see tomorrow morning The NWS tends to get bent out of shape easily, especially this early in the season.


Grayson got a nice lap sit and a long tummy rub this afternoon, as well as his favorite food, so he was happy, even though he didn't get any of my dinner.


Speaking of critters, there were critters in the attic for a while. I think it was yesterday. I didn't hear them today. They get in every so often, but they never stay long.


Now it's time to totter up to the north end and fall into bed. It's a cold, windy night in the field and the gale is coming...


October 15

I won't be as early to bed tonight as I was last night. There are several reasons for that, including an hour on the phone with Debbie. I had been about to make rice when she called, but after we hung up, I just sat for a long time. I have that problem these days - I never know how my knees are going to be, and I'm afraid they willl hurt, so I don't want to get up. I did finally get it done and made my dinner and they weren't too bad, but I never know and standing up from a chair is difficult.


Anyway, I got to bed not long after 11PM, and I slept good but I was up a lot. I woke up around 9:30 and decided I'd had enough sleep. Wrong. I kept dozing off and unbalancing on the pot. My mistake was, I didn't go back to bed. Now I'm really tired. Evidently it's got to be 11 hours now.


When I got up, there was a bit of sunshine, but it went away fast and it's been dull and gray and raining lightly ever since. The temperature got down to 34º overnight and it was nearly steady at 40º all day, with a brief high of 44º. There was almost no wind and of course the humidity was very high. Everybody agrees that it's going to snow sundy night and maybe Monday. Sigh. The maples along the road behind my house are fully colored now and the snow won't do them any good at all.


Grayson is still very cuddly, although he didn't get on my lap. He keeps coming around and mewing at me.


So that's all there was and I have a fatigue headache, so I guess I won't even be able to hear all of the Sibelius.


It's a dark, cold, rainy night in the field.


October 14

Well, that was nice. I got to bed just after 11 PM and I got up around 9:30l. I', going to try to do the same tonight. During the night and when I got up, my knees wee very sore, but by the time I got my breakfast (very late, something else I have to work on) I was able to do it and only sat down once. When I got up to vixit the powder room and make my dinner, I wasn't in very much pain at all and I was able to make my whole dinner without sitting at all. I still have some pain in my knees, but it's quite tolerable.


It's amazing, but this has happened before. Now all I can hope is that it stays this way.


Trouble was, my knees hurt while I 'm sitting down, so I was reluctant to get up and as a result, the only thing I did was to begin to gather up the trash on the stove, and I didn't do much of that. There is so much to do around here...


What made all that remarkable was that the weather was lousy again. The temperature was steady at 40º but there wasn't much wind. It rained off and on between 8 AM and 5 PM but it wasn't very much - about 0.14". Needless to say, the humidity was astronomical, which is why I don't knowwhy my knees feel so goot. I'm not complaining, you understand. The temperature is in the middle 30s now and they are predicting snow for all night Sunday night. Seems to me it's a little early to be so cold, and it doesn't bode well for our winter.


Grayson was around me all day and he got on my lap twice and looked at me with big, sad eyes. I hope it's me who worries him and not him. He wanted my dinner, which probably has onion in it, and when I didn't give him any, he sat down with his back to me and his feet all tucked in. He still hasn't figured out why he can have yogurt and occasionally chicken or beef (not very often) but noting else. I get the sad eyes for that, too.


So that's another day and I;m praying my knees stay better. It's a dark, cold. moist night in the field.


October 13

I was moving slow last night. 


when I got to bathroom, I suddenly remembered that while I had made the bulletin, I had never sent it out. So I had to fire up the laptop and it was so long since I'd used it that it had to reboot and get all the bloat ware loaded. Then Norton went right to a disc scan. Arrggghhh!!!!! I had to compose an emali around the bulletin and I had a terrible problem getting it done. I wasn't typing very well, the font is so tiny I can hardly read it and it was responding very slowly (having partly to do with the disc scan). I finally got it sent out and as  I expected, I had made a lot of mistakes, but my wonderful proofreader had caught them all. I finally got it done and sent out, but it was 1:30 before I got to bed.


I slept well in between wakeups, but I had accidents twice and I finallly had to change my underwear. THat's the trouble with sleeping so soundly. And then I didn't get up until around 2 PM. Today was dinner, and I had to make most of it sitting down. That works, but it's sort of unhandy. Tomorrow will be dinner, too - I want that marinated salmon - but I have to make rice, so I will probably get two meals. Or I hope so.


Obviously, I didn't do anything other than get a bunch of dirty clothes into the hampers.


The weather was marginally better than yesterday. At least it didn't rain and the skies weren't so dark. The temperature was steady at about 46º and the wind was from the north at about 10 mph. The humidity was a tad lower, too, but not enough to help my knees.


Grayson has been right around me all the time, sweet thing that he is. I think he's really worried about me. Besides, he got yogurt tonight.


So that's all there us. Now I;m going to try to get to bed early.


It's a dark, cold night in the field.


October 12

Well it was an interesting day and not at all what I planned.


I got to bed around 1 AM - later than I wanted too - but I woke up around 10 AM and decided I'd better get up. I was moving very slowly. I managed to get my breakfast in about 45 minutes, but  by the time I got to the office, I had only about 15 minutes to eat it. I managed to stay on schedule, but on my way to the bathroom, I had an accident. I thought it was a minor one, mostly on the incontinent pad, but when I went to get up from the pot, I realized there was stuff all over the back of my jeans. I have that problem almost every time I have an accident, but it's been a while since I've had one after breakfast.


So it became clear that I was going to be late at the dentist, so I called them and I decided I wouldn't be able to make it at all  They were very understanding, but they didn't call back with a new appointment, so I may not be able to see them until next April. It really doesn't matter much, since my oral hygiene is good and I don't have any problems.


After that abd a call to Ron, I was so tired and I had such a backache that I laid down on the bed and napped for about an hour before he came and brought in all the boxes in my breezeway. I finally have something to eat!! I didn't get a big Schwan's order, but I got a lot of fish and I had some for dinner tonight. It was so nice not to scrounge around for something to mix wih rice!


The weather was mostly awful, but not quite as awful as they were predicting. I woke up around 10 AM because the wind was pounding on the front of the house. How I wish I had a weather station, because the NWS report was definitely NOT what I was experiencing. The blow only lasted for 10 minutes or so, but it brought the rain with it, and it was rainy and windy for the rest of the day. The high temperature was 63º, but it seemed to be going up and down all afternoon and it was more like 50º. The wind started out from the southwest and ended from the northwest, and the gusts were up to 30 mph (oh, maybe they reported that blast with the next hour's readings - the actual time of a reading is 9 minutes before the hour). Of course it was extremely dark and gray.


Grayson was somewhere around me all day. When i laid down to take my nap, he went to sleep with his back against the bathroom door. He was happy to see Ron, but I think he wanted to be picked upl. Ron did give him a nice pet.


So it was a sort of strange day and i am so tired. Maybe I can get myself back on a human schedule. My knees, my hips, my back and my hands all hurt, so I think the thing to do is put them to bed. My body just cannot stand this weather. Oh, but I have to listen to the Schubert first.


Now it's a dark, cold, rainy night in the field.


October 11

I think it was about 2:30 AM when I got to bed and I didn't get up until about 2 PM. Fortunately, the only thing I had planned was to wash my hair, and I did get that done, although it was hard. I thought I was all right, but I had to walk a bit to get the towels and weigh myself, and when I got into the shower, I started having trouble with my knee. I was having such trouble that I sat down to dry off, but eventually I was able to get dressed.


Then, after I put everything away, I had to put the load of bottoms in the dryer. By the time that was done, I couldn't walk, so I sat down in the transfer chair - much to Grayson's puzzlement - and I got his dinner and most of mine while sitting down. I'm lucky to have long arms. The only casualty was that I salted my eggs too much. I was able to get out of the chair with less trouble than I thought I might, but I still could barely walk. I made it to the office, but I've been sitting here ever since. What I really need is a transfer chair with a seat that is about 42" from the floor.


The weather was warm and pretty. The high temperature was 69º and there was a strong south wind with gusts up to 30 mph. It was clear and blue. Good thing I just checked it because the website went down. I wish I had been able to stick my nose outside, because tomorrow is supposed to be cold and rainy. I have to pump gas, too. Ugh.


Grayson was good and he didn't natter at me, but I didn't diddle around very much - just enough for the Tylenol to kick in. He was a bit perplexed by what I did to feed him, but that was all right. He was happy when I put the bowl on the floor. He is a laid=back cat abpit some things, and what I do doesn't freak him out usually.


So that was it. I'm not going to get enough sleep tonight, I fear, but I'll try. At least I'm finally clean again,  although just how clean is debatable. After I got my hair washed, all I wanted was to get out of the shower and sit down as fast as possible.


Now it's still a clear and warm night in the field, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.


October 10

) was late last night, mostly because my left leg started acting up and it took me a long time to do my think. I was technically in bed for about 11 hours, but it wasn't restful. My knee was so sore I could only sleep on my left side, where it was straight out and I had to go to the bathroom very frequently. So it was not a restful night and I felt lousy all day


My leg is still bad and I made the mistake of sitting down in three different places. It was easiest to get out of the dining room chair, but not by much. The transfer chair was very hard, but I think I can fix that. I adjusted the rolling stool so I could get fully on the seat, although it didn't feel like it, but then I discovered that it won't roll with my full weight on it. I suspect it might not roll even with Debbie on it. So I finished making my yucky dinner while standing up and I could hardly walk at all.


The only saving grace of the last 24 hours is that I got to see the Hunter's Moon setting over Hunter's Point. And the Girdle of Venus had a moonstone in it for a few minutes between about 7:45 and 8 AM. That was a sight to behold. There were some light clouds in the west, which made the Girdle brighter pink and made the moon sort of fuzzy. I can certainly see why they named the stone moonstone!


Today I did nothing. I was hoping to wash my hair, but when I felt my leg, I aborted. I have to do it tomorrow, though, so I'm clean for the dentist, but I think I can do it sitting down if I have to. And maybe even get up, too. I've taken baths sitting down before. It's hard to rinse off the soap and I can't do my bottom, but everything else works. We'll see how it goes.


The weather today was sparkling but cold. The high temperature was 53º. The wind was from the southwest and rther brisk, with gusts up to 20 mph for a couple of hours before it died down, and it has not shifted to th e north and is light and variable. The humidity was low for a few hours before it went up again. I think I knew that.


I think Grayson was asleep on the reading pillow in the chair while i was asleep. He went away for a wnile but ever since he's been lying under my feet; I don't know if he's sick or he knows I am, but having him around is comforting.


So that's it. I will have to be earlier tomorrow. Now, it's a clear, cool night in the field.


October 9

) wasn't as late last night, but I was just as late getting up and I diddled around for a long time before I got dressed and fed the cat, but then instead of making my own dinner, I went to the office. For one thing, the camera software hung up and the last few rays of the sun were so pretty that I wanted to see if I could capture it. THen I did my surfing, so it was very late before I made my dinner,


One reason I waited so long was that when I got up, I could hardly walk After suttubg for several hours, ,though, my knees were pretty good, which surprised me. I probably could have made my whole dinner while standing, but I dumped teh tray I put on the Rollator and I had to sit down to retrieve all th stuff, so I just sat while I fixed my chicken . Now I'm so iired hat I don' know if  I an get up! We;ll see,


I did finally put in a  Schwans order. The only thing I Have on hand is four meals of chicken thighs, and much as I like them, it gets old after a whle. This order is mostly fish, which I can't get locally. It will be nice to open the freezer and say, "Hmm, what would be nice tonight?"


I was surprised and gratfied to discover that I can get my delivery on Wednesday!  I must not have been the only person complaining about the chaos of their UPS shipping. We'll see how long it lasts, though.


I'm having a terrible time typing tonight, and seeing what I've typed, so please excuse any typos.


THe weather was nice - cold but mostly sunny. The high temperature was 50º. but that was between 7 and 8 AM. IIt was colder for the rest of the day. There was a light wind that maxed out at 10 mph. It was artly sunny, Since the camera wss down. I don't know when that cloud at sunset came from.


Grayson was patient until I started rustling around and then he wanted his dinner NOW. it;s  his favorite, and almost all of ht was gone before I made my dinner, which he wanted, too. Sorry, buddy. He dies feel better today and his ears are cool again.


I finally changed the batteries in the mouse and it  seems to have helped, but I'm having a terrible time finding the keys.


It's late, so i'd better go to bed. it's apparently a cloudy, cold night in the field.


October 8

It was another lost day. I could have gotten up at a semi-reasonable hour, but it didn't feel like enough sleep, so I didn't. Then there was the usual stuff, so I was late eating, then I was reading the story I'm in the process of actively writing, so now it's really late. I really must start writing some of that dowm; my planning is several weeks and several episodes ahead of what's written.


The weather was pretty much like yesterday. The high temperature was 53º and the wind was from the north with gusts as hgh as 23 mph. It was cloudy all day, with just a few peeks of sunshine.


Grayson doesn't feel good. He has very warm ears and he was around me all day. He slept on my lap for a long time this afternoon. I'm watching him.


My knees and hips hurt, but it's weird. They hurt more when I'm sitting down. It is hard to stand up and I nearly ended up on the floor in the middle of the night, because the rug in front of the toilet started slipping when I was halfway up and all I could do was crash back onto the seat. I got around it by putting on my Crocs just long enough to get up, then I took them off. They grip the tile and are much safer. I don't know how it happened, but I guess I'll be using the Crocs in the bathroom for a while. I actually didn't have a lot of problems walking, although my right hip hurt. So you never can tall. THe only problem is that I remember how hard and painful it can be to stand up so I don't do it and I wet my pants. Sigh.


So now it's stupidly late on a cold, cloudy night in the field and I'd better go to bed.


October 7

I was reading again last night, so I was late going to bed and late getting up and I didn't do anything. Today my knee has been bad so i didn't wash my hair again, and it's getting bad.


I did try to set up the rolling stool and i thought I got it right, but first i couldn't get completely onto the seat - I'll work on that tomorrow - and then it wouldn't roll. I'll have to look at the casters. It was frustrating, though. The seat hurt my bottom and trying to roll around hurt my bad knee. Having the Rollator to hold things and help me stand up was very helpful, though.


The weather was cold. The temperature was nearly steady arou8nd 42º and the wind was from the north mostly, with gusts up to 20 mph. It's moved west now and I guess it's supposed to get very windy by tomorrow. It was cloudy and gray.


Grayson wanted my dinner and he particularly wanted my dessert, which was yogurt, but it was full of berries and melted frost and I didn't have anything to put some in for him.. He even put on his pleading face, but I couldn't help him.


So it was another quiet day and now it's a cold, cloudy night in the field.


October 6

So I inverted. I was reading one of my favorite stories and I was afraid to get up, which was right. I cou8ld hardly step on my right leg at all and it took me a long, painful time go get up to the north end. Then I didn't want to get up again because I was afraid it would hurt - which it did - so I was stupidly late getting to bed. By the time I got up for the first time, it was better, and when I finally did get up it was fine until I started walking on it..


I need to get the rolling stool adjusted. It is so high right now that the last time I tried it, I almost fell off it and I could walk better then. If it's lower, I will have a hard time standing up from it, but I don't think it will get away from me. Or I sure hope not. It's an item that really needs a brake, although it would be hard to put on on it. I use the cabinets as a backstop, but it needs to be lower than it is now.


I think the rollator needs to have its handles lowered, too. They are higher than my cane and one problem I have is that when I can't put much weight on my leg, I have to lean on the handles and then my shoulders get very sore. I'll get everything customized eventually.


The weather turned cold and extremely windy overnight. The high temperature was technically 52º, but that was very early this morning while it was still going down. It was steady at 48º all afternoon. The wind was from the northeast, mostly, as high as 33 mph with 47 mph gusts It was cloudy and dull abd gray,

The lake has been singing loudly. THe wind chill has been down in the middle 30s. My body isn't ready for this, even though I am.


I didn't see much of Grayson, although he was around and he shouted at me when I was late getting his dinner. He wanted some of mine, too, but he didn't get any.


So that was another truncated, quiet day and now it's a cold, windy night in the field.


October 5

Happy Birthday, daddy. Hw would have been 110 years old today.


Last night started out badly, because my left leg was sore, but eventually it settled down. and my last sleep was almost 5 hours long. Unfortunately, it meant that I got up around 1:30 PM. I was hoping to get my hair washed, but my knee was sore again and I'm glad I didn't try. Maybe tomorrow, although my leg has been bothering me all day. I took some Tylenol when I got up, but I couldn't get the schedule right to take any more, so I hurt. At least I could walk a bit, which helped.


I did finally get the bulletin out, but I mislaid some of the information, so I had to do it twice. I really don't like the app I'm using for webmail, but the other one I know about, I can't figure out how to create and send one out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.


The weather was mostly cloudy but sort of warm. The high temperature was 69º and there wasn't much wind. I think it was more humid than yesterday, which might explain my sore legs. The wind looks like it might be picking up, which might help make it more comfortable in the bedroom. the next few days are supposed to be cold (aroundf 40º) and rainy, so I'm not looking forward to that. It's gone now, but for several hours the gibbous moon was shining in the south windows.


Grayson slept, although he began to get annoyed when I was so late (I lost track of time). He was happier after he got his wet food, which was a flavor he likes. He has been coming into the office and mewing every so often tonight.


I lost track of time again, for about three hours, so now I have to decide whether to keep reading or give up and go to bed. It's so far a sort of warm, partly cloudy night in the field.


October 4

I had a better night last night, although I kept waking up all hot and sweaty. I think it wasn't too long after 1 AM when I went to bed and I didn't get up until about 2 PM, so I should have had enough sleep, but I've been tired all day. I have to say, though, that my knees were much better. The only thing was, I didn't believe that, since when I got up, they weren't, so I just sat for a very long time before I finally got dressed and found that I could move a little better. i won't say it's over yet, but it is getting better and that's a relief.


It was a cloudy, gray day. The high temperature was 67º, but it was weird, because it happened between 10 and 11 AM and went down to about 62º for the rest of the afternoon. There was almost no wind. It was so hot at the north end that I opened the window in the bathroom, opened the one in the bedroom that I've had sort of open and turned on the fan. I hope it's cooler tonight. I'm tired of waking up in a sweat.


Grayson mostly slept. but when I started rustling around, he got anxious. He was happier after I gave him one of his favorite flavors, though. Now he's nattering at me tp go to bed.


One thing that's probably good about my leg problem is that I've figured out how to do a lot of prep work for dinner while sitting down. It involves the tray I keep on the Rollator, the long reach tool and my long arms, but it seems to be working. I'm hoping to stop using it regularly, but it's good to have those things available.


How it's a cool, cloudy night in the field and maybe I can get to bed at a reasonable time again.


October 3

It was another lousy night, but, not as bad as the one before. I was up several times and it was hot, but I managed to walk. Lying down for a while does seem to help my knees. But I got up late and diddled around.


I had to call Ron to get my mail - including my pills, which came in a box! - so I asked him to bring in the groceries. The fridge is now pretty full, but I haven't prepared the stuff for the freezer yet. I was able to do most of it sitting down, which is a good thing, because I had a terrible time getting out of the transfer chair. And since Ron came not too long after the post office closed, I only got one meal - leftovers from last night. It is nice to have a salad again, though. Mostly my problem is getting up and i had to sjust sit for a long time before i could do it, so everything took a long time. 


I hope I get over this. It's in my right hip again, too.


The weather was quite nice. It was sunny and there wasn't much wind. The high temperature was 68º.


Grayson was wandering around all the time Ron was here, but after he left, while I was sitting and waiting to get up, he was sound asleep beside me. 


So that was my day. I got a couple of gifts today, and i thank you. You keep the website going and sometimes you keep me going, too. I'm very grateful.


Now it's a cool, dark night in the field and I need to go to bed


October 2

Well, to end a lousy day, I inverted. I don't know why, although I was reading and the music was nice and I didn't want to get up. I had to have something to eat before I went to bed and the time just passed. Sigh.


So of course, I didn't get up until mid-afternoon and I'm exhausted again. that isn't completely for lack of sleep, though. My left knee is so bad I can hardly walk and everything from the waist down is so bad that I have a terrible time getting up. I had a nice dinner tonight - fish - but it took me an hour and a half to do something that should have taken 20 minutes, max. I did as much as i could while sitting down, but that meant I had to stand up several times and when I tried to stand up to do the fish, I almost thought I wasn't going to make it. I keep hoping it will get better, and I think it will, eventually. Right now, I'm severely crippled.


I wish it would be better tomorrow. I have to get all that stuff in from the breezeway and I really need to wash my hair. The way my legs are, I'm afraid to try the shower. Not only is my left knee very sore when I stand on it for more than 30 second, after I've stood up for a few minutes, it starts collapsing, xo i nddc go holc onto something. It's hard to take a shower that way. Sigh.


Norton demanded that I reboot tonight and it took longer than I anticipated. I've been having trouble with this program, so I tried to do a repair on it, but it wants the installation disk - now where the devil did I put THAT?? I will try to look for it tomorrow.


ºThe weather was cool but sunny witn almost no wind. The high temperature was 59º and it was quite humid. It was nice to see all that blue sky and blue water, though.


Grayson was rather patient with me, like he knew I'm having trouble moving. He only set up a fuss when I got to the kitchen and I think that was because he was getting his favorite food. For the past few months he has defeloped a really loud purr, which gets louder when I pet him. I hope it doesn't mean he's sick.


SO that was my rather difficult day and now it's a cool, clear night in the field and i have to try to make it to the bathroom again. Sigh.


October 1

So I was late getting to bed. For one thing, I was having trouble getting up, and for another, my legs wee killing me. I think it was the joints, but the pain had spread all the way from my hips. I didn't sleep well. I was up about every hour and a half, partly from the pain in my legs, and I had to pee. So even though I got up late, I didn't get enough sleep. That was obvious while I was trying to do the surfing I do with the phone. I kept dozing off and practically falling off the pot.


So I didn't do anything. I think the stuff in the breezeway is safe and I am having enough trouble walking that I don't 'think I could have done it anyway. I am not in quite as much pain, but I'm weak.


The weather was sp-so. Ir was cloudy, dull and gray for most of the day. It cleared up right around sunset, but the last picture before twilight ended had clouds in it again. The high temperature was 53º, but it was steady around 52º for most of the day. There wasn't any wind.


Grayson was a bit put out with me because I was late, and while he kept coming around and mewing, he didn't try to get on my lap.


So that was my day. I'm glad it's October. Now it's a cool. cloudy night in the field.

Last  updated 11/01/22 11:18 PM

Copyright S. I. Smith, 2000-2022