A View From the Field








August, 2022

August 31

So I made it through August. When I was a kid, I always felt that the summer was over after my mother's birthcay (the 13th), but for sure the end of August was the end of summer. We went back to school on the Tuesday after Labor Day, and I still don't understand this starting school before then. We ended the school year round June 20. What are they doing these days that they have to start so early? Ah, well.


I went into zombie mode last night and I was very late, so I didn't do anything at all today. I didn't get the information about the bulletin for some reason, so I didn't even do that.


The weather was cool and breezy, but not as windy as yesterday. The high temperature was only 70 and the wind was from the north with gusts up to 29 mph, although it has died down now. The clouds went away before dawn and the day was clear and blue. The humidity was relatively low, too, which I appreciated. There should be a bitsy moon up there somewhere, but I can't see it.


Grayson slept, although he was getting antsy before he got his dinner. I guess he was annoyed with me because he hasn't asked for a lap sit.


And that's all there is. Sue reads her email late, usually, so I will wait for that, but I'm going to try for an early night tonight. it's a clear, cool night in the field.


August 30

Late, but not as late as usual. I think I got enough sleep, so I was late getting up, but I didn't fiddle around quite as long as usual. I filled the north end pill dispensers, finally, end I put away the clean load of mostly underwear. 


After I had breakfast - a lovely avocado toast, the first one in a while - I filled the north end pill dispensers. That was weird. I have apparently lost a bottle of acidophilus I thought I had. I've looked all over here and I can't find it. Oh, well. I'm not sure it was doing any good anyway.


I ate breakfast so late that I was very late eating dinner, particularly because before I did, I divided up the chicken and put it in the freezer. I've gone for boneless thighs lately and I bought two packages so I could freeze single servings. I'm not too sure about freezing that stuff, because I think it may have been frozen and thawed at the store, but I have to freeze it to keep it. Anyway, I had a nice dinner, if very late.


the weather was cool and windy. The temperature did get to 74, but the wind is still very strong, with gusts up to 45 mph from the north this morning. i'm sorry to day that the camera hung up because I had to reboot the computer (thanks, Norton) and it frequently does that. I think it was cloudy this morning, cleared up during the afternoon and clouded up again around sunset. With that wind, anything might have blown in. IT wasn't cool enough to have to close all the windows, but I had to close the one in the powder room after the door blew shut twice.


Grayson got two lap sits and he wanted another one, but I was eating then. Mostly he sleeps, but he follows me around and sleeps wherever I am. He was on my lap when the door slammed the second time, and he did not like that, so he had to get up and check it out.


And that was my day. I won't say it was very productive, but I did accomplish a few things that needed to be done. Now it's a cool, windy night in the field and I need to go to bed.


August 29

Well, I didn't. I was late again, of course, because I just sat. I got nearly 8 hours' sleep, but then I did nothing. Sigh. Everything is still there to do, but I didn't.


The dentist called to change my appointment in October, but that happens a lot. The new date is several days earlier than it was, which is good. I begin to get edgy about driving much around the middle of October.


the weather turned out nice but windy. We had a teensy bit of rain between 6 and 7 AM - couldn't prove it by me - and the morning was cloudy, but it cleared up around noon, at least until 8 PM, when it clouded up again. The high temperature was 81. but it didn't feel like that because we had a strong northwest wind with gusts up to 37 mph. I don't think it got that warm here, witn the wind coming straight at me over the water. I didn't sweat.


Grayson slept until I didn't move and he started complaining. He wanted my dinne, but he didn't get it, of course. He had his own, and it's a variety he likes.


So that's it. Someday I'll be able to put two days of doing something together, but not so far. Tonight I'm tired and headachy, so I think I will try for an early bedtime.


It's a warm, windy night in the field.


August 28

Oops, almost forgo  .t, so I'm up at the north end and I'm sure it will be excruciating, but I actually did something today and I want to document it.


Of course I was much later than I wanted to be last night, but I got 8 hours' sleep with only one wakeup, which seemed to be enough, at least this time. I fiddled around until Grayson was complaining, but then I got dressed.


I had a piece of cheese and fed the cat, and then I brought in the groceries. Everything was all rightt except the watermelon, which was all water. It was very ripe when I got it, so I wasn't surprised. I had some other dead fruit in the fridge, so I triple bagged everything, and getting that stuff out gave me enough room to get everything in. The veggie drawer is stuffed. I still have lots to do, because I got some meat that needs to repackaged and frozen, and there is a whole lot of trash that needs to be taken out, but at least I've made a start. I also put away the last shipment of cat food and filled the kibble bowls. Whew.


Then I had a real dinner for a change, nicely balanced, before I went back into zombie mode, and I completely forgot about this until I got to the north end.


The weather wasn't worth bothering about. It didn't rain here, but it was dull and gray and humid. The nigh temperature was 75 and there was a southwest wind with gusts up to 24 mph, although it has gone calm lately. There are some thunderstorms way west of us, over Minnesota, that are moving very slowly and may or may not get here tomorrow. It was clear at sunset.


Grayson mostly slept somewhere around me. He gave up a hairball in the great room overnight, so I don't think he feels very good. He was complaining before I got him his dinner, and he looked on with approval while I filled the kibble bowls. He got to lick my yogurt dish, so he was happy.


And that's it. I do feel good about having done something, even though it wasn't a lot. It would be nice to put together two useful days in a row, but I don't know about that.


It's a clear (I think) cool night in the field and I had less trouble with this hookup than I feared.


August 27for most 

I was much too late last night, didn't get enough sleep again, and didn't do anything at all. I kept slipping into zombie mode.


The weather was warm, but there was a nice wind and the humidity was relatively low, so it wasn't uncomfortable. The high temperature was 79 and the wind was from the southwest with gusts up to 29 mph. It was mostly cloudy, with just a few rays of sunshine every so often.


Grayson mostly slept, as usual, but he got two lap sits and purred through both of them, although he didn't stay too long either time.


And that was it. Now it's a cloudy, breezy night in the field, and I think there is some rain on the way.


August 26

Ugh. I am tired.


I was later than I wanted to be last night, of course - it just takes too long to do anything - but I went right to sleep. However, after the first time I got up, after about 4 hours, I never got back into a deep, so I didn't get a whole lot of sleep. 


Anyway, I got up and moved about as fast as i can and I even got to read my funnies before I left. I got my blood draw and got to the doctor's office about when I was supposed to, although I had to wait because the person behind the counter was gone.


They've now finally put all the Medicare questions on paper, which is much better than having to have a nurse ask them all and enter them into the computer. I had another nice long chat with Walter, mostly about my kidneys and my potassium, although I did tell him about all my pains since I saw him last. 


Then I was off to Pat's, where I did considerable damage, but I expect it to be most of a month before I need much else, except for maybe lettuce. I have some nice things to eat and I had deli salads for dinner. I don't do that much, because it's expensive, but it seemed right for tonight.


I was exhausted by the time I got the car loaded, but I had to get gas. Well, that turned out to be a disaster. I wanted to get it at Pat's, because I had accrued 45 in loyalty points, so I went there. The first pump I went to wouldn't read my loyalty card and then stopped pumping after 0.6 gallon - for which it wanted to charge me 15, but all the buttons stopped working. So I went to another pump. That one never asked for my loyalty card = and it refused to pump any gas at all. By that time, I was getting frustrated, and besides, getting back into the car was getting harder every time.


So I went back to the BP station that is very close to Pat's. First, I found that their gas is 20 a gallon cheaper than Pat's, but the only button on the screen (oh, how I hate those screens with their stupid ads!) was "Pay Inside" so I pumped my gas - a tad over 15 gallons - and then I had to figure out how to get into the store to pay, because there was a car parked right in front of the part of the sidewalk that didn't have a step, but by the time I got turned around, they had left. When I complained about not being able to pay at the pump, I discovered that they have gone minimalist - if you want to pay at the pump, you just enter your card, no buttons to push! OK, now I know that. It still cost me $66, but that was a lot less than it would have at Pat's without the loyalty card. I'm sorry to lose the 20 a gallon that expires at the end of the month, but Pat's pumps have been screwed up for a couple of months anyway. A very nice lady helped me back into the car.


Then I was on my way home, which was a nice, sedate ride, since I and six other cars were behind a guy towing a big camper. Fortunately, he wasn't going to the fort, so I lost him in Copper Harbor.


Then there wss the gate, I had just gotten out of my car when a person came up behind me and said "I'm going in, too. Would you like me to open the gate?" Well, duh. So he did and besides, he helped me back into the car.


When I got home, I just sat for half an hour before I started trying to get the stuff out of the car and into the breezeway. I finally did it, but it must have taken more than an hour and a half. I was moving very slowly. My hips are all right, but my knees hurt. by the end, I was sitting on the bumper between loads.


Most of the stuff is still in the breezeway, but I'll move it tomorrow. It's mostly lettuce and bread anyway and I have some things to get out of the fridge first.


When I finally got to the computer, there was an important message from Walter. My potassium is too low again. He wants me to stop my diuretic for a couple of days and get my blood tested next week again. I did not want to go back to Laurium next week, since I'll be there on the 13th anyway, but oh, wel.


The weather was lovely. The high temperature here was 75 and the humidity was lower than it's been in quie a while, at least when it was warm. The dew point is down around 50, plus or minus. There was a nice breeze from the north, at least until lately. Of course, it was warmer and more windy in Calumet. Looking at my shadow when I'm out in the wind, I can see where the Greeks got the idea of Medusa. When the wind blows my hair straight up, it looks just like that.


Grayson got a short lap sit before I left and at one point while I was moving the groceries, he sat down and looked out the door and yawned at me. I do not think that's a friendly gesture from a cat. I opened the door to get the cold stuff and he ran out and sniffed around, but when I asked him if he was coming back in, he did. Don't tell me he doesn't understand what I say! He thought he wanted my dinner - there was tuna pasta - but he didn't get any. He does not like it when I go away.


So that was my day and now I have to wait a while to go to bed, because they're playing Beethoven's Sixth - my first or second most favorite. I think it's clouded up, but it's a warm summer night in the field.


August 25

So I inverted, didn't get enough sleep and wasted the rest of the day. I did get a bath, so I'm clean for the doctor, but that's it, and I'm not going to get enough sleep tonight, either. My appointment is at 11;05 AM and I need to allow at least half an hour beforehand to get my blood draw - fortunately, I don't have to fast.


The weather was a good day to ignore the outside. The high temperature was 66 and there was a bit of northeast wind. It was cloudy all day and we had a couple of hours of fog between 5:30 and 7:30 PM. Of course, it was horribly humid.


Grayson slept, although about the time I took my bath he was beginning to get antsy. I guess I made him mad, because I haven't seen him since he ate.


So that's it. I think I will read my funnies, but not the rest of my emails. It's a cool, dank night in the field.


August 24

Well, I didn't quite invert last night, but I was late. I slept well, of course, but not for very long. I'm going to be late tonight, too, but maybe not that late.


I didn't do much, but I did get the bulletin out, finally. The information came through too late yesterday for me to do it last night. For the second week in a row, I managed to do it without any mistakes. I realized i'd been leaning too heavily on my editor and I need to be more careful, because after next week, there will be a lot of things to change every week as the fall season starts (shudder!).


The weather was yucky. It was cloudy all day and between noon and 1 PM, we had 0.06" of rain, a nice, gentle rain that I wished would have lasted all day.  I don't know if we're in an official drought, but we haven't had very much rain in the middle of Lake Superior this summer. There's been enough south of us, particularly south of Houghton over to Marquette, but most of it has missed us. It's why I've often thought the marine forecast is a much more accurate one for us. Anyway, the high temperature was 67. There wasn't much wind, but what there was, was from the southeast, which is very unusual for us.  Of course, it was sopping humid. Yuck.


Grayson thought so, too. However, he shouted at me a couple of times for some reason and he got two lap sits and two nice tummy rubs. He wanted more canned food and he wanted my dinner, too, but he didn't get any of it. He has plenty of kibble.


So that's all there was. My joints have a hard time on startup, but once I begin to move, they're all right. I'm sure that after I do Pat's on Friday my hip will be very sore, but otherwise, it's tolerable. I've been trying not to put too much weight on my shoulder and it's feeling better, although I still get twinges in it. At least I'm not in much pain when I'm lying down anymore, which should make it easier for me to sleep. And I need to go do that now.


It's a cool, dank, cloudy night in the field.


August 23

Sorry about last night. I got into one of the other unfinished stories and it was so absorbing, i just kept reading.


Sunday night, I tried going to bed early again and I had another lousy night. Apparently, if I want to reset my internal clock, I'm going to have to do it in stages. And I couldn't blame it on not taking my pills, either, because I did.


So I was late getting up yesterday and I didn't do anything - didn't even eat very much. Then I started reading and I inverted. Sigh.


So I only got around 7 hours' sleep today, and maybe I can sleep tonight. i did get two meals for a change. I made barbequed pork chops, and I used a different sauce recipe, which I like much better. Grandma's sauce is too sweet - it has two tablespoons of sugar in about a cup of sauce. This one is the one we usually used for oven "barbequed" ribs and it's a little spicier and not nearly as sweet. I used the last chops I got and I was afraid they had been in the fridge too long before I froze them, but they hadn't been and I nailed the cooking time, so they are good. I have another meal. Pat's "Cowboy" chops are big, but I like them because they don't have nearly as much of that center part that is so free of fat that it's dry and cardboardy. The ones I got were smaller than usual and had almost none of that part, so I really enjoyed it. I still don't feel like cooking much, but the freezer is getting cleaned out again, so I'm eating whatever I have on hand.


Sunday night started out clear, and around midnight, I turned over and looked out the windows and it was as clear out as I've seen it in a very long time. My summer star, Arcturus, was shining brightly almost behind the crossbar in the window and there were so many other stars I couldn't recognize. So i got up and switched out the nightlights to my old red one and when I looked out the north window, there was Polaris, and at that point, the Big Dipper hadn't disappeared behind the trees yet and I could even see the sstar that attaches the handle to the bowl, which is the dimmest one. It was lovely. When I was up a while later, though, while I guess you'd say it was still clear, the seeing had gone to pot and there wasn't as much to see.


The weather yesterday was nice. It started out clear, but it clouded up until around sunset, when it apparently cleared up again. The high temperature was 72 and the wind was from the north, for a while in the 10-20 mph range, although it died down late in the afternoon. It was humid.


Today was humid, too. There was a little sunshine in the morning, but mostly it was cloudy. The high temperature was 69 and there was very little wind. It was really humid today.


I've been forgetting to mention that the days are getting short. Days are under 14 hours long now and the sun is setting around 8:50 PM. It's setting over the end of Lighthouse Point, too, in camera range. Well, the only good things I can say about this summer is that the days have been very long and mostly not too hot. Now, if we could just get rid of that humidity and have a few more clear nights,..


Grayson mostly slept, of course, except that all last night, he kept coming in and mewing at me, as if to say, "Aren't you going to bed yet?" He was happier today, because things were more normal. He got a nice tummy rub both days.


The humidity isn't doing my joints any good at all. My hip hurts a bit the first couple of steps I take after I get up, and then it's all right. Now, my problem is my right shoulder. I screwed it up, I think, because whey my hip was so sore, I was having to lean very heavily on either the walker or my cane when I was walking. The joint hurts, but the real pain is the area under my arm and over onto my chest, where the corrective surgery was done four years ago. That is excruciating at times. Fortunately, none of this is bothering me too much when I'm lying down, so that isn't the reason I'm not sleeping well.


so that was a very quiet two days, and now we may get some rain, which would be nice. If it's going to be this humid, it could at least rain. It's a cool, cloudy, humid night in the field.


August 22

It's too late and I've been reading; I'll write tomorrow.


August 21

i'm doing this very early tonight, because It seems to be catching up to me. I wasn't excessively late last night, but I did not have a good night. My feet were like two blocks of ice and I kept having hot flashes and sore spots. It wasn't until I finally got to the office that I discovered why - or probably why - I forgot to take my evening pills. Again. It's one disadvantage of eating only one meal a day. I usually don't take the "morning" pills until after I eat, and then I have to remember to take the evening ones. Sometimes I don't. I always regret it. I think I will sleep a whole lot better tonight.


I got my hair washed without sitting quite all day, but my joints hurt, because the weather forecasts that said it was going to be quite dry today were very wrong. Thanks, Environment Canada. I'm about ready to email Attilla and complain. They've been really off this summer.


It wasn't dry, but it was clear and blue and pretty. The high temperature was only 68 and there was a north wind in the 10-15 mph range. The dew point was steady around 59, plus or minus a degree or so, wich put the humidity between 75 and 80% - much too humid for me! So I hurt, although I am still pretty ambulatory.


Grayson slept, mostly, although he was asking for his dinner before I was quite through in the bathroom. I think he knows today is Sunday, when he gets his favorite flavor, and I seemed to be diddling around, even though I was much earlier than usual. He wants that good stuff!


So now it's a cool, clear night in the field and I AM going to bed!

August 20

Well, did it again, and besides, I didn't get enough sleep.


The weather was sort of nondescript. There was a deck of clouds, not very thick, over the lake all day. The high temperature was 70 and there was mostly no wind, except for a little bit from the east. The humidity was too high and it wasn't very comfortable. I had a little more joint pain than yesterday, but not a lot.


Grayson mostly slept. He doesn't like this weather. He wanted my dinner, which he didn't get, and he actually climbed onto my lap and got a good tummy rub. 


So now I must try to get to bed a bit earlier, maybe. it's a cool, cloudy night in the field.


August 19

Another late night, although not quite as late as the one before, i think. I don't remember. I do know I didn't get enough sleep.


Altogether, though, I feel much better than I have in a week or two. I didn't have a headache and I'm happy to say my joint pains are subsiding. There's a little pain left in my hip, but not a lot and  I can walk with just the cane. I've found the Rollator so useful that I'm still using it, but I wouldn't have to. Of course there is still some pain in my knees and my right shoulder and the muscles (such as they are) in the right side of my chest hurt occasionally, but I'm really doing much better. Ron stopped by with the mail and I was able to stand and talk to him for a good fifteen minutes without any problems. It's a real relief.


The weather was yucky again. The temperature  got up to 80 briefly, there was no wind to speak of and the humidity was much too high. In fact, the fog rolled in shortly after 5 PM and it was still thick when it got dark. Yuck.


Grayson thought so, too, and he didn't even want to be petted much. Mostly he slept, which is a good idea in weather like this.


So that's it. It's a coolish, foggy, yucky night in the fielld


August 18

well, late-late again. Sigh. I had a horrible night last night. I was sweating almost all night, but the real problem was that my hips were so sore I couldn't sleep. I don't know why - they feel better today - but last night not only were the individual joints sore, I had a severe pain from one joint to the other, across the front where i bend when I'm sitting up. I couldn't find a comfortable way to lie. So when I finally did get to sleep, I just kept at it. It seems better today, but I haven't laid down yet.


So I ddin't do anything again.


The weather was blah. It was sort of clear in the morning, but it clouded up aas the day went along. It it didn't rain here, although apparently they had 3 - 4" in thunderstorms down west of Marquette.  The high temperature was 75, there was almost no wind, and it was very humid. Why my joints felt better today, I do not know, but I haven't ever been able to figure out exactly what causes them to get sore.


Grayson got two cuddles and he wanted another one, but I was doing something else when he asked. He is just a very clingy little kitty.


So now it's very late and it's a warmish, very humid night in the field.


August 17

So instead of going to bed at a more or less reasonable hour, somehow I managed to invert. I should have gotten enough sleep, but I've felt tired and achy all day and I wasn't hungry. Maybe tonight will be a little brtter.


The weather wasn't as warm as they predicted, at least at this end of the harbor. It was partly to mostly cloudy all day until just before it got dark when it appears that it mostly cleared up. The high temperature was 73 and the wind was very light and from all over. It was quite humid again, and my joints were telling me so.


Grayson got two cuddles and some yogurt, so he ought to be happy. He wanted up a third time but I was doing something else.


And that's it. It's a sort of cool, maybe clear night in the field. and I need to put my head to bed before it explodes.


August 16

Well, it appears that I got enough sleep. 


I knitted for quite a while and I have only about three rows left on the first chart, so I'm progressing. There are some very difficult rows in this pattern and I keep messing them up, but I'm getting better at it. I fooled around some, but I finally got my hair washed, although it was hard. It was another humid day and my hips are really bothering me. 


Then after I ate and petted a cat, on my way to the powder room, I had a messy accident right in the middle of the great room floor. I don't know what it is about taking a bath, but more often than not I have a problem afterwards. So I stopped in the laundry room to leave my wash and pick up some clean underwear and socks, changed clothes, brought in a package of paper towels from the breezeway and cleaned up after myself. I need to do something about the big splotch a bit further down that happened after dark one night, but that will require a chair, a pail and possibly a mop. If I can continue to get enough sleep so I feel good, maybe I can do that one of these days. Eight hours isn't enough and I guess eleven hours is too much.


When I did my surfing, I found the information for the bulletin, so I got that done and sent out. My regular proofreader is out of town, so I hope the guys are up to the task, but this one was easy - no special dates, no special announcements - and I tried to check it carefully. I have some characteristic errors that I tend to make very often - and a couple that I suspect are defects in Word - and I tried to be especially careful about those. When i create something like that, which a lot of people will see, I like it to be as correct as possible.


The weather warmed up today. The high temperature was 80 and while it was that warm, the humidity was low - the dewpoint has been nearly steady in the middle 50s - but before and after mid-afternoon it was humid enough to bother my hips and knees. It was clear and pretty in the morning, but after about 5 PM the clouds began to move in and it was quite cloudy by dark. I guess we're in for some rain over the next couple of days. Oh, ouch.


Grayson slept wherever I was. And he asked to be cuddled, but he didn't stay long because it was hot at the time he got on my lap and neither of us like to cuddle when it's hot. Oh, and he told me when the FedEx guy came. I thought I heard something, but he had to get up and go see what it was. Now there are two boxes out in the breezeway that need to be opened and put away.


So it was a more productive day than I've had in quite a while, which is a good thing. Maybe I can string two together? I would really like to read, but not only should I get to bed, the things I want to read haven't been written yet. I'm still plotting them in my head, but I won't know how they really come out until I write them and I haven't felt like writing - or anything else - lately.


Now it's a cool, cloudy and sort of breezy night in the field, and I think it's blowing in some rain.


August 15

Huh. Middle of August already. And I haven't done anything.


I sure didn't do anything today. It has to be because my hips and knees, as well as my shoulders, are so sore, but I've been having sinus headaches, too. All that makes me not want to do anything at all.


So I didn't. I didn't get enough sleep, either. I was middling-late getting to bed, but I miss-read the clock and got up when I should have gone back to sleep, so I was tired and achy. 


I did knit about 4 rows. This is a round shawl, so even though I'm only on row 46 or so, i already have 192 stitches, but that's only just enough for my 24" needle, so not only is it slow going, I have to push the stitches around a lot. I had made the observation that the center is ugly, but that was when I tried to make it with the purple yarn and now I suspect I'd made even more mistakes than I have with the dusty lilac. It s a weird pattern and very easy to screw up. I won't say the center is beautiful, but it's not that bad.


I was supposed to have a Zoom call with the nephrologist on Wednesday, but right after their automated system called to confirm it, they called to cancel and now it won't be until September. I think the only appointment I've had with that guy that was at the original time was the first one. When I'm glad most of my medical services are with Aspirus. 


The weather started out cloudy, but it soon cleared up and the afternoon was very pretty. The high temperature was 68 and three wasn't any wind. It's still very humid, though, which no doubt is the reason I hurt so much.


Grayson mostly slept, of course. He got even more excited than usual about his dinner, and I don't know why. He thought he wanted some of mine, too, but he didn't get any. It wasn't very good anyway.


So that was another lost day and now it's a clear, cool night in the field.


August 14

Three in a row. I was a lot earlier to bed and a lot earlier getting up, but it didn't matter.


We had a little power glitch, so I guess I'll be setting clocks. Since I was sitting in the dark, all that happened that I saw was a "beep" from the UPS and my little task light went out. But i turned it right back on and it was fine, so I don't know what that was.


The weather was cloudy and cool again. The high temperature was 71 and there was no wind. It was very humid again, which not only contributed to my not wanting to move, I have a sinus headache.


Grayson slept, but he got his favorite food and he got to lick the yogurt dish, so he was happy.


And it's a cool, cloudy night in the field again.


August 13

Today is mama's birthday, number 105.


It was another late night and lost day. I did knit a bit.


The weather was cool and cloudy. The high temperature was 66,, briefly, and the wind was light to calm and variable. There were a couple of rays of sunshine, but not much.


Grayson mostly slept, of course, although while I was washing my face, he was lying just outside the bathroom door and he shouted at me. So I said, "Don't shout at me!" and he didn't. He would like it if I could rotate my schedule back three or four hours.


now it's another cool, cloudy night in the field.


August 12

We completely zoned out today, both of us.


The weather started out mostly clear, although there were a few clouds in the morning, but around 5:30 PM it clouded up. The high temperature was 76 and there wasn't much wind. What was nice was that the dewpoint was quite low - at or under 50 - so the humidity was low and my hips, especially, felt much bttter. Unfortunately, we're probably in for some reain, so it won't last. Haven't I told you that if there is something up in the sky that would be nce to see, it will be cloudy?


Grayson was getting upset by the time he finally got his dinner and he was shouting at me, but he liked it and he got to lick my bowl of yogurt, which he loves.


And that's all there was. It's a coolish, cloudy night in the field.


August 11

So I was late again, but i slept better than I have for a while. Not that I did anything with it.  I filled the kibble bowls, and that was about it, but I diddled around until it was quite late.


The weather was pretty, but cool. The high temperature was 72, briefly, and there wasn't a lot of wind. It was mostly quite humid and my joints were telling me so. It was clear and blue all day and now the full supermoon is shining brightly in the south windows. 


Of course, that will wash out the meteors, but I've seen meteors - I think the first time I saw the Perseids was when I was about 13 and all three of us sat out on the deck behind my bedroom in the mosquitoes to see them. It was sort of a ritual for all of my teens. I was always mostly a summer astronomer anyway, although somehow i managed to learn the winter constellations. The house was in the way of the southern sky from my deck, so there was a lot I had a hard time seeing. I'm still more familiar with the northern sky than the southern. And this moon is so bright it's washing out most everything I can see from the bedroom, other than Vega. My summer star, Arcturus. is mostly gone anyway.


Grayson was getting antsy before I fed him, in part because his kibble bowls were just about empty. He is happier now. He got to sit on my lap for a while, but not very long today.


So now it's late and I must try to go to bed tonight. It's a clear, cool, moonlit night in the field.


August 10

I don't remember why I was so late last night. I didn't sleep very well. I was up several times, and after about 8 AM, mu left hip was so sore it made my whole leg ache and I didn't sleep very well, although I didn't get up unti almost 1 PM. Then I knitted a bit and fooled around a lot before I did anything.


I unloaded and realoaded the dryer, so now I have jeans and underwear again, as well as some other things I threw into the loads. 


It was a bright clear day, but not too warm The temperature went down all day from 78 at midnight to 59 a day later and for most of the day there was a brisk north wind, with gusts up to 28 mph. For most of the day it was not very humid, and my joints were thankful.


I think my right hip is beginning to heal, but now I have this thing with my left hip, and of course my knees... The first few steps after I stand up are very difficult, but I've been able to get around a bit better. I;m still using the Rollator, but that's at least in part because it's so convenient to put stuff on the seat. Oh, and I had to bring my cart into the office to get the cat hair and other junk out of the wheels and I haven't moved it back into the kitchen yet. The Rollator is addictive, though, just because it's so convenient. Only I don't want to get dependent on it.


Grayson was upset with me because I was so late, and I'm going to have to fill his kibble bowls soon. He will eat the whole bowl of canned food, but he doesn't like to empty the kibble bowls. This is a trait of most cats I've known; they leave a bit in the bottom of the bowl, maybe in the hope it will grow. 


So that was a rathe rtruncated day, and now it's a cool, clear night in the field and the nearly-full supermoon is shining brightly in the south.


August 9

My guess is that the wifi problems I've been having lately are the result of a failing piece of equipment. The connection went down completely for a while last night and I haven't been having any problems tonight, although I haven't tested the actual speed; Either that or they upgraded something. It's a relief. It was getting really bad.


I was a bit later than I wanted to be last night, of course, but not too late. I slept well and i felt some better today. For one thing, the humidity was much lower and my aching knees and hips aren't nearly as sore as they have been. They still hurt, but I can get around a bit better. The only thing is, I've gotten into such bad habits since I hurt so bad. 


I didn't do a lot, but I washed a load of underwear and paid some bills. 


The weather was hot, or it felt that way to me. The high temperature was 83, and for most of the day there was very little wind. It was clear and blue and after dark, the nearly-full moon was shining in the south windows. I finally reset the start and stop times of the canera - by half an hour on each end. I doubt very many people look back at the archive like I do, but at least there will be fewer plain black screens. Sigh. IT's always sad when I have to do that, although I'm hoping for a nice late summer and fall, not nearly as humid as June and July were.


Grayson doesn't like this weather any better than I do, and he mostly sleeps all stretched out so he can get as much air as possible. There are disadvantages to wearing a fur coat. At least I can sweat all over - and I did. He wanted my dinner, of course, but no such luck.


So that was my day and now it's a clear, warm night in the field. At least the wind has picked up.


August 8

Well, I'll write this, but it may not get posted until tomorrow. PastyNet is having some sort of problem again.


I was too late last night. It's another case of not wanting to get out of my chair because it's too painful. IT's still very humid and my joints are telling me so. Anyway, when I did get up, i had a really yucky accident, all over the floors. I think I've sort of cleaned up the office, but there is a big area in the great room that needs attention. At least I have my rolling chair so I can sit while I work on it. I just have to have time. 


I got up at a sort of reasonable hour, which means I didn't have enough sleep, and I just almost fell asleep in the powder room, so maybe I can crash tonight. If the internet is down, I might as well. I did get my hair washed, finally


The weather started out cloudy, but it cleared up around noon and the afternoon was very pretty. The high temperature was 67 and there was a light north wind. The humidity, though, varied from 97% to 80%. Yuck.


Grayson didn't like it either, I think. He was complaining by the time I finally got dressed, but he didn't try to geth my dinner. He does things like walking around under the Rollator and rubbing his whiskers on my cane that annoy me.


So that was my day, such as it was. At least I'm socially acceptable agak.


when I looked out the south window, the big gibbous moon is shining brightly in the south. It's a clear, cool night in the field.


August 7

This is getting monotonous to write about, although it doesn't seem monotonous to live. It was another lost day. I was ridiculously late getting to bed, so I got up ridiculously late and did nothing. Well - I put the load of bottoms in the dryer. Whee1


THe weather turned cool. The high temperature was only 62 and there was very little wind. it was slightly less humid, but that's not saying much. It was cloudy until around 1 PM, cleared up nicely until around 6 PM, then clouded up again. I got a glimpse of the gibbous moon behinc the clouds before it was completely covered.


Grayson mostly slept, of course, although he was getting a bit antsy by the time I fed him. After I ate, he came and mewed and got a nice tummy rub. He is probably asleep in the doorway now.


And that's all. It's a cool, cloudy night in the field and i tmight rain a bit.


August 6

Bah! Another lost day. I did finish washing the load of bottoms and I'll put them in the dryer on my way north, but otherwise, nothing. Bah.


The weather was meh again. The high temperature was 81, fairly early. It was (and is) very humid and there was some wind that settled down from the north. It was cloudy and dull all day. Meh, but not good for my joints.


Grayson mostly did his thing. When he mewed at me after I got up, I just petted him, but this evening he came up beside me and mewed so I picked him up and we had a nice love in. He never stays too long, and I don't know why, but it's nice to have a lapful of purring fur every so often.


Now it's a warmish, humid, cloudy night in the field.


August 5

Another lost day. I was rather late last night because I had the usual accident. I slept fairly well, but I was really tired by the time I got to bed. The way I've felt today, I didn't get enough sleep, sp I'm doing this early and hoping to make up for it tonight. The only thing I did today was start the load of bottoms washing. I'll finish it tomorrow.


The weather wasn't too bad, actually. The high temperature was 81 and there was a nice southwest wind, with gusts as high as 33 mph. It's dying down now, of course. There was a lot of sunshine but there were clouds and after about 5:30 PM, it clouded up completely. 


Grayson had me a bit worried. He usually follows me around, but last night, he never came up to the north end, and he still wasn't there when I woke up around 10:30. So I put on my shoes and my glasses to go after him when he came running down the hallway meowing. I don't know where he was, but he acted like he forgot. So I picked him up and we had a good cuddle before i went back to bed. I think he would like to cuddle more, but I have other things to do...like sleep.


So that was my day and now I think I'll read for a bit longer - hopefully not too long - before I go to bed. It's a warm, cloudy nignt in the field.


August 4

Very sorry that the journal for last night didn't get uploaded, but PastyNet had a failure and I couldn't get to my website. I did write one, and it's below.


I was late getting to bed because I had an icky accident on my way north and I had to clean myself up and relax my mind. those things always upset me. I did sleep, though, with only one wakeup, and I didn't feel so bad, although I didn't do anything with it. The trouble is, my hips are still very bad, the right one particularly, and when I'm sitting down I just don't want to get up. That's undoubtedly why the accident and it's why I didn't do anything today. I have a load of bottoms in the wahser that needs to be washed, and I'll do that tomorrow, but that's all.


The weather was nice again, and quite a bit cooler than yesterday, which was also nice. the high temperature was 69 and there wasn't much wind, although it's still very humid. It was clear and b;ie a;; day. Nice.


Grayson was a bit complainy before he got his dinner and he wanted some of mine, too, but he didn't get any. Just a little while ago he came in and spoke and I picked him up and we had a nice love-in. He also wished me good morning when I got up, which I thought was nice of him.


So that's another lost day, and now it's a coolish, clear night in the field.


August 3

This weather is not conducive to my sleeping well. I was so tired when I finally went to bed that I fell asleep on my back, which doesn't happen very often. While lying on my back for a while relaxes the muscles, sleeping on it for several hours stiffens it up. And besides, the reason I woke up was that I was about to have an accident. I was out of bed when I did, but it was messy anyway. I think I got up around 11 AM and it was getting warm when I did.


The information for the bulletin came in yesterday and I finally got that put together tonight, without too many mistakes.


I had asked Ron to help me finally get the last of the groceries into the house, and he did that, as well as varoius other things that had come in the meantime. I was so grateful. After he left, I got everything put away in the fridge, although I haven't put away the dolly and the tub yet. 


I am having so much trouble walking that I am mostly using either the Rollator or the transfer chair. I wish I didn't have to use the Rollator, but if I don't, it takes me forever to move. Both hips are bad, although in different spots, and my knees are acting up again. It's the weather I'm sure.


The high temperature was 84, but that happened early in the afternoon and it went down rapidly into the 60s. The dewpoint was around 60, plus or  minus a few degrees, and the humidity actually got below 60% for a little while, but mostly it's too cool and humid for my joints.


Grayson was mouthy today, and I don't know why. When Ron was bringing in the stuff, Grayson made one rush for the door, but Ron caught him and he didn't try again. He did get a couple of lap sits and he finally quieted down. He wanted some of my dinner, but he didn't get any. 


I actually did feel some better today, which I guess means my potassium is still going up. That's nice; I was really dragging last week. Now if I can just get the right mix of food to keep my potassium normal and my kidneys happy, I can go on. I doubt it will happen, because it seems to change on almost a daily basis.


When I turned out the light last night, a bright light hit me in the eye and when I looked out, the lighthouse is apparently in operation again! I assume it's been off for so long because they were waiting for parts. The current light is just on the top of a steel structure, so it's a simple thing, but it's old and when something breaks, they have a hard time getting the parts for it.


Oh, by the way, this may not get posted tonight. PastyNet had a major failure, and I haven't been able to get to my website all evening. I'll try again tomorrow.


Now it's a cool, clear, breezy night in the field.


August 2

I was up sever3l times during the night and I got up around 10 AM, so I didn't get enough sleep. That should have been early enough for me to leave at a reasoable time, but I am having so much trouble moving that once I'm sitting down, I just don't want to get up.


Anyway, I did make it to the hospital by 3 PM, but they were busy and I left around 4 PM. By the time I got home, the results were online. My potassium is still a little low, but not much, my kidney function is a tad less good than it was Friday and my uric acid is a tad higher than I'd like (but I think that's because all the flank steak I ate over the weekend). So I guess it was worthwhile. They're going to have a fight if they want me to keep flying down the peninsula every couple of days, though. Both I and my car are too old for that.


I hurt so bad that I still didn't get the rest of the groceries into the house, but Ron called because he finally picked up the message Debbie left for him, and I put him on to help me get everything into the house that needs to be here. We had a nice conversation, although his phone is VoiP and it kept cutting out. 


The weather started out nice, clear and blue, but still humid. By the time I left the hospital, it was clouding up and between 8 and 10 PM we had a little thundershower - 0;11" of rain. It looks like that may be the end of our rain event, but we'll see. The high temperature here was 74, with a nice southwest wind that eventually got up to 37 mph gusts. It was warmer in town, but that breeze made it tolerable. It's really humid now, and yes, I can tell the difference between 50% and 90% humidity. Walk or don't walk.


Grayson knew I was going away and he went and hid someplace, although he was very happy when I got home. He wanted my dinner, of course, but he figured out that he wasn't getting any before I finished it. I hope he doesn't think I do these things becaue I'm mad at him, but it's hard to tell.


I did not feel very good when I got up and I am really tired now, so i may not stay up to hear the whole Rachmaninoff, but we'll see. 


It's a cool, breezy and possibly rainy night in the field.


August 1

Of course I was much later than I wanted to be last night, but I was cooling off and I was just too tired to get up. My hips were so sore I ended up getting out the Rollater, and it helps a lot, although it rolls so esily I have to be careful to stay close to the handles.


Anyway, it was after 1 PM before I got up and I felt all right then, except for my hips. The doctor called again and, as I suspected, the call was about my potassium, so I have to go down to Laurium tomorrow and get another blood test. Sigh. I had a lot of high-potassium food today, so maybe it will be better. I hate to have to drive down there, but it is some concern. This hapens occasionally, but the new guy hasn't seen it before.  And I admit, I don't feel all that good. 


The weather was mostly cloudy and cool, but it didn't rain here. THe high temperature was 67 and there is a brisk north wind in the 15-20 mph range. Howeer, it is still much too humid - around 80%, so it's icky. IT cleared up after dark and the camera caught a nice picture of the moon setting over the mountain.


Grayson was very talkative today, and I don't know why, except that i was late and he wanted his canned food. He did get a nice lap sit, so I guess he knows I've forgiven him. And he didn't try to get out when I had to go out to the breezeway. He didn't get any of my Harbor Haus dinner, but we had yogurt for dessert and he might like that even more than I do. The dish looks like I washed it.


So that was my quiet day and now it's a cool, breezy night in the field.

Last  updated 09/01/22 10:49 PM

Copyright S. I. Smith, 2000-2022