A View From the Field








August, 2021

August 31

Oh, late again. The Brahms was the last thing in the evening program - between midnight and 1 AM, so I started out late and for some reason, solitaire deals easier games after midnight, It must have something to do with how they get their random number - which isn't very random at all. Anyway, I was late. I slept well, but not nearly long enough. I knitted and I'm making progress, if slowly. The next time I knit, I will have to start a new ball of yarn. I'm doing that at a point where it will be easy to work in the ends, so I don't have to splice the ends together, which I hate.


That was all I did. I did begin on the bulletin, even though I haven't gotten the information for Sunday's service yet. I had to make so many changes to get the information into last Sunday's that I wanted to reset everything and I can do everything except the first two pages. That's done, so now I have to wait for Pastor. Sue is away until tomorrow night, so it will work out. I don't think I'm going to wait for the email tonight.


The weather was cool but mostly sunny. The high temperature was only 69 and it was very humid, but there wasn't much wind. There was a little fog early in the morning but it didn't last long and it was mostly clear and sunny. 


Grayson is still very clingy. He slept under my feet while I was knitting and he spent some time on my lap until he apparently got too hot. 


So that was my day and now it's a clear - I think - cool night in the field.


August 30

I was later than I intended, mostly because I had an accident as I was starting north, I think. I slept quite well, for once, and I was so late getting up that I didn't knit. I was so late that I didn't do anything.


Well, I actually did do a few things. When I got up, I had no internet connection. That happens occasionally, and first I thought it might be the router extender, but I reset that and it didn't have any connection, either. So when I got to the office with my breakfast, I checked and there was NO internet connection. So I looked at the router and there were no lights on it. Unplugging it at the router end didn't do anything, so I burrowed under the desk, and there I discovered a transformer that wasn't connected to anything - aha! Finding the plug wasn't easy, because I have the usual rat's nest of cables under there, but I found it and everything came up nicely. Or I thought it did. I didn't try the extender until later and it did not come up nicely. I had to kick it a couple of times to get it working right and for the second time, I had to get halfway through a setup screen before it began to work right. Everything seems OK now, though, but it was annoying. It was also curious. the plug apparently didn't come out of the transformer until about 8:30 this morning, which is kind of weird.


Oh, yeah, and sometime after I moved the CPU back into the corner, the camera hung up, so pictures were rather spotty all day. And after dark, I was looking at the software, which has a current picture, and I couldn't see the lighthouse, so I had to try another way to make sure it was working.


When I got up to get dinner, I discovered the reason I couldn't see the lighthouse light was that the fog had rolled in. It was a fitting day that was so humid I am having trouble walking. There were a few clouds in the early morning, but it was sunny and clear for most of the day. The high temperature was 71, but the dew point was around 60, which means it was unacceptably humid. There was some north wind, with gusts up to 23 mph, but it has gone calm now. 


Grayson mostly slept, although he has come around several times to talk to me. He didn't seem to want to get on my lap, but he wanted some of my dinner. He didn't get any. Mostly he slept.


So that was another lost day and now it's a cool, foggy (I think) night in the field. I want to go to bed, but they're playing Brahms, so...


August 29

I don't remember why I was so late last night, but I was. Thankfully, I didn't hurt and my feet were warm and calm. Well - I didn't hurt until almost noon. I took some Tylenol early, but by noon it had worn off. 


I knitted without much trouble and I'm making progress. I'm over halfway down the side. Thankfully, I realized I had miscalculated and there are only 43 (or maybe 44) repeats on the sides, which is not many more than the 37 on the ends. It will still take a while to finish, but I'll keep plugging away at it. It takes me about half an hour to do one repeat. It helps that on most days, it's bright in the bathroom so I can sort of see what I'm doing.


I've forgotten to mention that the pair of socks I was working on have gotten up and walked off and I can't find them. The last time I saw them, I had taken them to the powder room and knitted a few rows, but I don't remember where I went after that and I've looked all over for them and they are gone. I know they have to be around here somewhere, so I'll keep looking, but it's so annoying. Mostly socks are my waiting room projects, so If I have to sit in any waiting rooms, I will have to take one of the other pairs. The thing is, I was more than halfway down the foot of the second sock and I wanted to finish those things before I have to go back into wool. Sigh. I still say there is a black hole in this house and I just have to wait until it burps up the stuff it swallows.


Anyway, i just sat for a long time before I took my bath, so it's been a one-meal day again. Probably good - my weight has been tending up a bit and I don't want that to happen.


The weather was, um, unsettled. On reason I was late getting to bed is that we had another line of thunderstorms go through around midnight and it rained until around 5 AM - a total of 0.65" to add to the 0.32" we had yesterday evening. It's been a very long time since we've had that much precip. Then the wind began. It started from the southwest, but it soon switched around to the northwest and picked up to 40 mph gusts. It's dying down again now, but it was a bit noisy up at the north end for a while. The high temperature was 78, but that was around noon and it was in the low 70s for the rest of the afternoon. The sun came out around 2 PM and the afternoon was mostly clear. However, it's still pretty humid, over 60%, so it isn't very comfortable. I just had a sneezing fit and now I'm having a hot flash.


Grayson didn't complain too much about me sitting around and I guess it was too warm for him to sit on my lap, but he's been around. I wanted to lay in some of his favorite canned food and I found all of it is out of stock. I'm getting tired of this.


So that was my day and the plan is to get to bed earlier - I need to take some more Tylenol - but we'll see how that works. It's a mostly clear, warmish night in the field.


August 28

Ugh. I had a bad night last night. I was a bit later than I intended getting to bed, and then i couldn't get to sleep. My feet felt cold and my legs were twitchy and I hurt. So finally, I got up and spent an hour and a half, more or less, sitting in the bathroom playing solitaire before it felt like my body settled down. After that I slept, and I didn't get up until noon, but I have been tired and sore all day.


So I sat some more and didn't do anything.


Part of my problem may be the weather, which is the kind I like least. The rain last night stopped by midnight, but it was cool and extremely humid. Still is. The high temperature today was 74 and there wasn't any wind, but the humidity was 90% or higher and around 6 PM we had a nice bunch of thunderstorms move through that dropped 0.31" of rain on us - 0.30" in less than an hour. That didn't do a thing for the humidity.


Grayson didn't really like the thunder, but he had already spent time on my lap, so he endured. He isn't really afraid of it, but he doesn't like the noise.


So that was all there was and it's a cool, damp night in the field. Ugh.


August 27

I wasn't early last night, but i was earlier than the night before. I can't say I slept well. I hurt, and for a while in the middle of the night, my feet were so cold they kept me awake, until I finally was able to wrap them up in the bottom of the body pillow. Mostly I hurt. Getting over shingles can take weeks.


I knitted with almost no problems today - I don't know why - but I only did three repeats anyway. I figured I wouldn't push it. That was all I accomplished.


The weather wasn't good. It was cool; the high temperature was only 65 and there was a bit of wind that finally settled down from the south with gusts up to 22 mph. Around 4 PM, it started to rain lightly and we've had about a third of an inch. Of course, that meant the humidity was very high and for much of the afternoon it was foggy. My joints don't like it.


I'm not sure what Grayson's problem was today, but maybe it was just that it was cool and I'm warm and he hasn't had enough lap time lately. He came and sat on me three different times, and one time, he got a nice tummu rub, Another time, he curled up in my right arm and went to sleep. It's nice to have a warm cat on my lap.


So that was another lost day in a lost week and now it's a cool, wet night in the field.


August 26

Everything was late yesterday, and it was stupidly late before I got to bed. I slept well, with only a couple of wakeups, but it was something like 11 AM - I don't remember exactly - before I got up. I knitted three repeats with far less trouble than I've had lately. I'm making progress - I'm working along the edge of the center now - but it will take a long time to get it done.


I washed the load of bottoms, which I will put in the dryer before I go to bed, but that was about all I did.


The weather was so-so. The high temperature was only 70 and there was a light wind that started out from the north and ended up from the east. It was clear but smoky in the morning but by 4 PM the clouds had moved in and I guess we may have some rain. 


Grayson got to sit on my lap for a while this afternoon. I don't know why he always decides to sit on me just about the time I really need to go to the bathroom. Fortunately, I made it. He is happier, because I filled his kibble bowls, but he wasn't really thrilled with his canned food. He likes chicken a whole lot more than turkey.


So that was my day and now it's a cool, cloudy night in the field. I will (I WILL!!) be a whole lot earlier to bed tonight.


August 25

Nothing to report. I was late last night, but not as late as I'm going to be tonight. 


This morning I knitted, but only two repeats and I had some difficulties. I just do not know why that pattern is so hard - it's not all that involved - but wow! At least I'm making progress. I found a place where I guess I worked in a new ball of yarn, but I can only find one end. I have no clue what is actually going on there and given my bad eyesight and the dark yarn, I may never figure it out.


The only other useful things I did were to fold the underwear and soak a load of bottoms, which I will wash tomorrow. Evidently, all the changes to the bulletin were yesterday.


The weather was all right. It was cloudy this morning, but it cleared up early. That was hard to notice because there is a lot of smoke in the air again so the sky was white until right before it got dark. I guess it's clear now. The high temperature was 76 and the wind was from the north, mostly under 10 mph during the afternoon. It's still pretty humid.


Grayson is not pleased with me. He wanted to sit on me just as I had to get up and go to the bathroom and i am making him eat the kibble that is on the floor before I fill his bowls.


There hasn't been much change in my shingles. My chest is still sore when i sit too long and my back itches. I am trying to use my patches, but I just can't get them anywhere near where they ought to be. I will try putting one under my arm tonight and see if that works better. However, I read that it can take two weeks or more for them to work and by that time I expect the worst of my problem to be over with anyway.


It's still surprising how tired being in pain makes me. I know I always have some pain, but this is wrose than I've had for quite a while and one forgets. I need to go to bed.


Now it's a clear (I think) coolish night in the field, but they're playing Beethoven.


August 24

I was so tired last night! I got to bed around 11 PM and mostly I slept well, although I was up several times, of course. I got up around 9 AM, but I have been tired and achy all day. I used one of my lidocaine patches last night, but I couldn't see that it did much good.


I did a few things today, I guess. I got the rest of the groceries in and put away. Since this is all fresh stuff, the fridge is bulging. I had a nasty accident which lead me to finally unload the dryer. I will fold the underwear tomorrow. I have a load of bottoms to wash, too, but I didn't do that. There was stuff on the counters in the kitchen that I got rid of. So it wasn't a completely lost day.


The weather has turned cool again. The high temperature was only 72. There wasn't much wind and the humidity was in the 70s - not very pleasant. I guess there was some rain to the south, but all that happened here was that it was cloudy and dull all day.


Grayson finally broke down and came to cuddle with me. He wanted to come just as I was having my accident, but after i sat down again, he came and got cuddled for a while. I wondered how long it would take. He was mad at me yesterday. 


So that was another day, but it wasn't quite lost. Now it's apparently a partly clear, coolish night in the field.


August 23

I wasn't too late and I slept fairly well, although I had to take some Tylenol in the middle of the night. I was just waking up when the alarm went off, so I got up...and the phone rang. I actually answered it, because I thought it might be the clinic, but there was silence on the other end and when I looked at the number, it was clearly spam.


Anyway, I moved reasonably quickly and I was able to get my lunch packed and do most of my surfing, except for the ad emails. I got away when I wanted to and the only glitch was that the garage door wouldn't close. I got to the hospital in the middle of a rush, and then I found the tests I asked for hadn't been ordered after all, but the important ones were. 


My interview with Trish wasn't very long but it was interesting. Mostly it's determined by the government, but I did mention my sore side and when she looked at it, she said, "Oh, shingles." Huh? That was about the last thing I expected, but most of it is on my back and the nurse at the oncology office didn't look at that. So I left with prescriptions for stuff to ease the pain. And when I went to get them, I discovered that one of them needed pre-authorization. Since I didn't want to have to go back to get it, I paid - but I'm very annoyed, but not as annoyed as I will be if I don't get reimbursed. This stupid excuse for a health system we have affects everybody except the people who write the rules and somehow we can scream as loud as we can and they don't hear us.


Oh yes, and Trish informed me that she is leaving at the end of the year. So my February appointment will be with a Physician's Assistant - I've been downgraded again. I am not pleased with that, but at least I'm seeing an oncologist once a year. These are some of the things we never think about when we move from an area with lots of health care.


I sat in my car and ate my lunch and then I went off to Pat's and spent more than I expected, but the price of groceries is going up, for sure. By the time I got home, I was tired and hot and sore. I had to come in and pee, and then I moved everything to the platform, but I only brought in the stuff that needed to be refrigerated. I will get the rest tomorrow. It's mostly fruits and veggies anyway.


The weather was warm again. The hith temperature here was 83 and it was 87 in Calumet. I was melting by the time I got home and melting again by the time I got the car unloaded, even though the temperature was dropping by then.. There was a southwest wind in the morning but almost none in the afternoon. It was mostly clear until around 7 PM, when a cloud bank moved in.


When the alarm went off this morning, Grayson meowed and then he jumped up on the bed and almost walked on my head. I don't know what was in his fuzzy little mind. He wanted to be petted, so i did that, and he was a bit confused because I didn't follow my usual routine at all. He was interested in me bringing in the groceries, but he didn't try to get out. He thought he wanted my dinner - I had a picnic - and he went away when I didn't give him any. That crab salad is mine!


So that was my day. I hurt now, but i need to take some more Tylenol and try one of my lidocaine patches to see how that works. Getting it onto my back will be hard, but apparently putting it anywhere in the vicinity will do. There is also some ointment, but no way can I reach that. I'll try it on my front.


Oh, and I have another prescription for the new shingles vaccine. This time I think the pharmacy has the order, but I can't get it until at least two or three months after my current infection is cleared up. Sigh. If I'd gotten it when I originally asked for it, this would never have happened.


Now it's a cloudy, warm night in the field and I want to hear the Elgar...


August 22

I slept well, but I had to get up once to change my underwear and once to take more Tylenol. It was one of those days.


I knitted three repeats, although I had a lot of trouble with the last one.  I washed my hair and I filled the pill dispensers, but in between I just sat, and it wasn't until I was getting ready to leave the bathroom that I remembered that there were a bunch of things i wanted to do today. Some of them will have to be done tomorrow, but at least my appointment isn't until 2 PM, so I won't have to leave until after noon. I will be going north as soon as I finish this. 


The weather turned cool, which was nice. The high temperature was only 71 and the wind died down to under 10 mph. It was clear all day, although it looked like there were some clouds in the west in the last pictures from the camera.


Grayson was very upset with me even before I took my bath. He wanted something to eat beside what he had and he let me know, pacing in and out of the bathroom and complaining. I haven't heard from him since I gave him his dinner, even though I had fish. 


So that was a lost day and now as soon as the Arvo Prt finishes, I'm off to bed. It's a clear (I think) cool night in the field.


August 21

I waited until the Tylenol kicked in last night, so it was 12:45 before I got to bed. I slept surprisingly well, considering how hot it was. I think possibly I'm finally beginning to get over this thing. I took some more Tylenol in the middle of the night and around 2:30 this afternoon, and I hurt a bit now, but it's not as bad as it was and it depends upon what I'm doing. It feels better when I stand up. Oh, I hope it's going away1 This has been awful.


I got up around 10 AM and I knitted three repeats, with difficulty. I do not know what it is about this pattern that I find so difficult. Part of it surely is that it's eggplant purple, but that can't be all of it. Well, not only did I find some other patterns in some magazines, I got a new book of shawls the other day, so now all I have to do is match up the yarn to the patterns. Only I have over 200 repeats to go before I'm through with this thing. And no, i will not abandon it at this point. It's going to get done.


That was the only productive thing I did today. Even though I got some quality sleep last night, I felt tired and headachy all day.


A lot of that has to be the weather. Shortly after I got up, it got really dark and for the next four hours, we had intermittent rain showers, including a couple where it rained really hard for a few minutes. It's so neat to hear that while sitting beside the open window. There wasn't any thunder. The problem was, the temperature was in the low 70s then and the humidity went up to 94% for a while. That made it so damp everything felt wet. Well, the rain finally stopped and immediately the humidity fell and the wind started. Talk about a front...I haven't seen one like this in a long time. I think it may beginning to die down now, but the wind got up to 22 mph with 37 mph gusts from the northwest and the temperature has now dropped to 67. It's amazing how cold that feels after the heat we've had. It still feels more humid than I'd like, but I should sleep well tonight! The only thing I didn't anticipate is that the lower temperatures did a number on my right hip and knee, so I've been having a bit of trouble walking.


Grayson was not nappy. First it was hot and sticky and then there was that wind...he kept coming where I was and complaining, It may be that the wind blew the shower door closed, too. And then he got something for breakfast that he liked, but there wasn't enough of it. He likes those flavors with all the gravy, but all they have is gravy, which isn't as filling as the other kinds. So I thought I was giving him another can of the same thing, which turned out to be something else. I think he was confused, but I know he'll eat it.


So that was my day, and now it's time to totter up to the north end. I'm beginning to hurt big time again. Maybe - just maybe - I will fill the pill dispensers before I crash. It's a clear, windy night in the field and there is a full moon up there somewhere.


August 20

I don't remember when I got to bed, but i think it was around 12:30. I had a much better night last night, but I was taking Tylenol every 4 hours, which I don't iike to do for long. It helped. I think I got up around 10 AM, maybe.


I knitted and I turned the corner and did one repeat on the side of the shawl. I had enough trouble that I didn't try to do any more. I found a stitch I had dropped but I don't know where. It could have been in the edging or it could have been in the body. Whatever, I at least tied it off. Fixing it will be part of the final phase.


I was late enough that I didn't do anything much, except to try to get my appointment at the clinic straightened out. They didn't have the right blood tests. According to their patient website they still don't, so I guess I will be attacking that again when I get up on Monday. And the oncology department ordered a couple of tests I don't know why they did. Sigh. It never ends. But if I didn't direct my own treatment, who would? And then where would I be?


Ron brought the mail and my license tab came, so I won't be driving around with an expired car license anymore. 


The weather was awful. The high temperature was 87. There was a little breeze mostly from the south and it wasn't too humid, but it was hot around here. It was mostly sunny, but there was a lot of smoke, and the sun set behind some clouds. I guess we might get some rain tomorrow. I hope so; it's been a very dry summer.


Grayson just laid around. However, around the time it got dark, he laid down right at the base of the desk and I didn't know he was there, so when I pushed back to get up, I rolled over him. I think he's all right, but you should have seen the look on his face. I'm sorry, guy, but I don't have eyes under my chair and it was a stupid place to lie. I've been waiting for something like this to happen.


So that was my day and now it's cooled off a bit and so far, it's a clear, warm night in the field and rhe almost-full moon is shining brightly in the windows.


August 19

I got my shower, and I felt much better for it, but I was much later than i have been lately. I went right to sleep - on my back - but after I was up for the first time, I had a hard time getting back to sleep. My sore muscles were beginning to bother me and my feet felt cold for some reason. And yes, I had taken my pills! Anyway, the rest of the night was difficult. It didn't help that I got a spam call at 9;15 that woke me up. 


I finally got up around 10:30 because my back was too sore to sleep. I knitted and I finished the top edging! Wow! Tomorrow I can start on the first side - 86 repeats. Wow. Anyway, I felt like I'd accomplished something.


It ws all I did, though. I was so late that there wasn't time for anything else.


Oh, and it finally occurred to me that maybe I should try taking more Tylenol. I take some at bedtime - have forever - so that I can relax enough to sleep, but I had neglected to see if it would help my aches. Well, it did. So while it's not supposed to be the right amount, I will be taking it every four hours until I get rid of the pain. So far, it's working and I am as pain-free as I've been in three weeks. Of course, I will cut back as soon as the pain goes away, but right now, even six hours is too far apart. It's so nice not to be in pain! Maybe I can get a good night's sleep tonight? What a relief.


The weather was hot again. The high temperature was 84 and the wind was under 10 mph from all over. It got really hot in here. It was clear, except that there is a lot of smoky haze in the air so it wasn't ever really clear.  The humidity got as high as 71%, which isn't really comfortable. The dew point has dropped a little now, but it's still damp. the gibbous moon, riding low in the south, is a lovely shade of yellow, which it should not be.


Grayson just slept, mostly laid out on his side. He liked his breakfast, but he did not like the weather at all. And for once, my dinner didn't interest him.


So that was my day. I can't take any more Tylenol until 12:30, so I guess I'll be up until then, but then I expect to sleep for a long time. It's a warm, humid night in the field again.


August 18

I'm still not sleeping really well, because my muscle problem is still with me. i did get to sleep for a while on each side, which helped, but I was sore when I got up. The hot weather has worked to make my hip less sore, though, which is a good thing.


I didn't do anything again. I knitted in the morning and I now only have four repeats to do to get done with the end of the shawl. Then there is the first side and there are 80-something repeats there. It's a big thing. I keep hoping that as I get even more comfortable with the pattern - I have all 12 rows just about memorized now - I will be able to do more than three repeats in a reasonable sitting, I am still having some problems with it, though. I know where they are, but I still have trouble with them.


I am hot. I was hot all day. It was so hot that I embroidered without my MagEyes, which have a band that goes around my forehead. Fortunately, this fabric has a large enough count that I can see what I'm doing. I'm making progress. It amazes me that such a small thing - it's 3" square - should take so long, but when it has 30 colors, I guess it makes sense. I'm working on leaves again.


Anyway, it's still around 85 in here, even though the outside temperature is under 80 now. There isn't much wind. The high temperature for the day was 81 and for a while there was a little southwest breeze, which helped, but now the wind has gone calm. The humidity never got below 62%, which is why it felt so nasty. The smoke is back, too, and it turned the sky white and the sun orange. The sun has snuck back into the camera view again. It's setting over the lighthouse now. And there is a gibbous moon hanging low in the south right now, so it's not cloudy.


Grayson spent the day laid out in a spot where he might catch a breeze. He doesn't like this weather any more than I do. He got some of my ham for breakfast and some of my chicken for dinner, so he was happy.


I had planned to take a bath tonight, but I think I would have anyway because I am so sticky and icky. Everything I am wearing is wet and so is my hair. Yuck.


So now it's a clear (except for the smoke), warm night in the field and I must go and take my bath.


August 17

My sleep was somewhat disrupted last night because I was trying not to upset my muscles. Mostly lt worked, although I was up several times. I slept on my back for most of the time, although in the early morning, I spent a couple of hours on my left side and i finally ended up on my right side. I slept all right, but when I got up, I hurt.


I knitted anyway and I only have seven more repeats across the end of the shawl. I had some difficulties, but no more than usual.


I was making my breakfast when the DHHS lady called and asked if she could come today instead of tomorrow, and I said sure. Best to get that over with as soon as possible. However, I was making a rush for the pot when she arrived and I had an accident, so she had to wait until I changed my bottoms, and I didn't quite make it to the bathroom, so after she left, I had to clean up the floor. Sigh. It never ends.


Anyway, I explained why I can't take her financial advice and she reacted better than I feared. There isn't much she can actually do for me. My income is high enough that I'm not eligible for most of their services and there isn't anyone who can find the kind of help I really need here, because nobody will come this far. So she went off rather quickly so she could get across the bridge before the rush hour - they are repairing the bridge again - and I doubt I'll hear from her again.


That took most of the afternoon. I embroidered during the talking and I'm making progress on the second little picture. I think it was the companion piece to the one I finished last week and I've noticed that very seldom is the second one as nice as the first one. It will be pretty, though. 


It was another hot day. The high temperature was 84 and there was a southwest wind for most of the day, which was good. It's a bit more humid' the dew point was 60 for most of the day. That was fine when the temperature was over 80 but it's getting damp again now. Like last night, I had to close the south window because the wind was blowing on my right side and cramping my muscles. I'm sure that's how I got into this state. 


The sky started out clear, but the smoke is back. When I had to go up to the bathroom late in the day, the sun, which was mirrored in the shower door, looked like a great big orange, or like those pictures they show that are taken with solar telescopes. The smoke may be gone again now, but there are new fires up in Canada and in the west, so I don't know how it will be tonight. I've been able to see the Little Dipper for several nights and when I was up at the right time, the handle of the Big Dipper.


Grayson laid flat out except when the lady was here. He greeted her with meows and sat on the cart between us so that he would get petted. He wanted my dinner again, but he didn't get any.


So that was my day and now it's time to crash. it's a clear (I think) warm night in the field.


August 16

 I'm not getting enough sleep. I didn't have much pain when I went to bed last night - a bit after midnight - and i slept on my back for most of the night. That was partly because of my pains, but also because it was hot. However, around 7 AM, I began to hurt and I had to use the heating pad. By 9 AM, I knew I had to get up. I need more sleep than that right now, so I've been tired and headachy all day again.


I did do a few things, though. I washed a load of underwear that should by dry by now. And I swapped the cart that was full of beads with one with almost nothing in it and almost filled it with stuff that was on the desk. I'm not done with that yet, but it was getting dark, so I gave up on it. And I'm sure I'll be rearranging it for a long time. The baskets I had most of the stuff in fit in the drawers as long as nothing laps over the top, so that made it easy. I got down to the top of the desk in spots and found a few things I didn't know about - or had forgotten. I have a lot more to do on the desk, but at least i have a start.


It was hot, but not as hot as yesterday. The high temperature was 81 and there were light winds from the southwest. The dew point has risen a bit - to 63 lately - but for most of the day the humidity was fairly low. That was all that made it tolerable. Having to use the heating pad was a problem, though.


I reset the start and stop times of the camera, so it will be taking pictures an hour less now. It doesn't matter - the half hour at both ends was all dark anyway. We're down to 14 hours now. Sigh.


Grayson slept and I was later working on the carts because he went to sleep right in the doorway and I didn't want to bother him. 


So I did a few things today and I need to go to bed as soon as the Schubert stops, even though I'd like to hear the rest of the evening. It's a clear, warm night in the field.


August 15

Ugh. When I went to bed last night, I thought maybe I was finally over the worst of my sore chest. Wrong. I didn't have any pain and I slept well, except that I was up a lot, until around 6 AM, but after that, I got sore again, so I was up a lot earlier than I wanted to be. 


I knitted and played games and eventually I took my bath. That helped, but now I'm really sore again and it's so hot I just can't use the heating pad, if it would do any good. So I didn't do anything.


It was hot. In fact, it still is. The high temperature was 91 and only the low humidity - the dew point was right around 54 all day, which put the humidity as low as 30% - and the west wind that gusted as high as 28 mph made it at all tolerable. It was still hot.  It was clear and sunny, too, which of course made it hot in here, but it never got warmer than about 85, thanks to the breeze.


Grayson just lay around. He does not like this weather. He was complaining before he got his canned food. I think he knows that he's going to get his favorite on Sunday. He may not know it's Sunday, but I think he knows that every 7 days he's going to get something particularly yummy. He did come around to be petted several times, but mostly he slept.


So that's all there was and I must go to bed, but I'm not looking forward to it. I only hope my chest won't keep me awake.


It's a clear, warm night in the field.


August 14

I got to bed at a sort of reasonable hour and I went right to sleep, but after the second time I got up, I was wakeful for a couple of hours. I don't know why. I wasn't thinking about anything serious and I didn't hurt too much because I had the heating pad, but I just couldn't go back to sleep. Eventually I did, and while I was up one more time, I didn't get up until around 10:30. I'm afraid sleeping on the heating pad may have messed with my skin, although since I don't have any feeling on that side, I don't know why it hurt. Anyway, when I got up I was tired and headachy and I was that way the whole day.


I did wash a load of bottoms, which need to go in the dryer, but that was about all.


I have decided that what the DHHS woman was suggesting isn't going to happen. There are a lot of reasons wny, but among the most important is that it would be dishonest. It could also leave me in a far worse financial situation than I am now. So, no. We won't do that. She will be here on Wednesday and I will explain it to her if she wants to know.


THe weather was actually pretty nice. it was nearly sunny all day. The high temperature was 74 and there was a moderate north wind with gusts up to 22 mph. The humidity was fairly low, too.


Grayson mostly slept although he wanted my breakfast and my dinner. He didn't get either. He came and sat on me for a while, but I was sort of antsy and I think the heating pad was too hot for him.


The heating pad is helping, but I still hurt. Massaging the areas that hurt sometimes helps, too, and moving around will help. I seem to feel better when I'm standing up, so part of the problem may be that when I sit down, I compress those areas and they go into spasms. That has happened to me before, although not there. I would say I caught cold in the muscles, although there must be a medical term for it. I hope it won't last too much longer.


I knitted this morning, but I was too tired and headachy to do much this aftenroon. Now it's bedtime and I need a bath. It's a clear, coolish night in the field.


August 13

Today is my mother's 104th birthday anniversary. As I've gotten older and distanced myself from her, I think I've formed a more balanced view of her, but she was a wonderful woman and a great cook and a great mother and friend. I still miss her even after 28 years. Happy Birthday, mama.


I got to bed at a sort of reasonable hour last night, but i had some trouble getting to sleep. My back hurt and I couldn't get the heating pad the right temperature and I was thinking about what the DHHS woman said. Eventually I got myself in hand and slept well for the rest of the night.


I knitted, with some difficulty but I got my three repeats done. I also made some progress on the little roses. Otherwise, I didn't do anything. 


The weather was cool. The high temperature got to 70 briefly, although for most of the day it was in the 60s and there was a brisk wind from the north with gusts as high as 29 mph. The humidity was around 50%, plus or minus. It was partly to mostly cloudy and there were clouds over us at sunset, but they seem to have gone away now and there is a little moon at the south end of the camera view.


Grayson is still clingy, but unfortunately, just as he decided he wanted to sit on my lap, I had to get up and go to the bathroom and he didn't try again. He did get quite a bit of petting. I think he was more comfortable today, with the lower temperature and humidity. So was I.


So that was it and now it's a cool, clear night in the field.


August 12

Well, I got my bath and I was in bed by 12:30. After seeing now much better my back felt after running hot water on it, I gave in and got out the heating pad. It helped for a while, but I still hurt by the time I got up. The pain has mostly moved back around to the front, so I will use it again tonight. It's supposed to be cooler, so it should be a good night to sleep.


I knitted and I finished my little roses and started its companion piece, but that was all I did, because I had a long telephone conversation with the woman from DHHS. She will be coming back next Wednesday. I don't know why, and I have to ask her if this is a one-off or if she will be keeping track of me. I count on my friends for that.


I also finally called the insurance agent and got my questions answered. I also called the contractor again, but I didn't hear back from him. I will give him another two or three times, but then I'll be trying someone else. I need to get this under way.


The weather was lovely - my kind of weather. The high temperature was 79,  but there was a strong northwest wind that gusted as high as 38 mph and the dew point was at or below 50, which meant that the humidity was around 40% until the temperature dropped. It's in the low 60s now and will probably bottom out in the middle 50s. Great sleeping weather! We will take advantage. there were a few puffy clouds, but it was beautifully clear at sunset and the thin crescent moon set over the mountain just a while ago. There will be stars tonight and I suppose that if I was really energetic and i went up on top of Brockway I might see some meteors. I'd rather sleep.


Grayson slept, mostly somewhere close to me. He thought he wanted my breakfast and he really wanted my dinner, but he didn't get any. I don't think he really likes lamb anyway.


So that was my day, and now it's a clear, cool night in the field.


August 11

I got to bed at a more reasonable hour last night, but I had a hard time getting to sleep. The pain in my back felt like I was being stabbed. Finally, I got to thinking what Johanna would do if I could see her at midnight, so I sat down in the bathroom and pressed the area that hurt up against the lip of the toilet seat cover. After about ten minutes, the pain mostly went away, so it's certainly muscular. 


After that, I got to sleep easily. I got up at a reasonable hour this morning and I knitted my three repeats, but just as I was about to get up and wash my face, Mary Ann called. She wanted to warn me that the people were going to come to get the trash today, but we had a nice, long conversation.


Then I had to rush off to the post office to mail my outgoing and get my UPS package, so I didn't get any food until around 3 PM. 


I was able to have a while to eat and do my surfing and then Mary Ann arrived, followed quickly by five guys and the township pickup and trailer. Everything is now gone. They didn't even make me put the trash-trash in orange bags and they took everything except the electronics. The other side of my garage is now empty again. It's so nice. The rest of the stuff - electronics and some other hard stuff - will eventually go when Mike gets here. It's hard to get my mind around how clean my house now is.


Mary Ann felt the same way. She stayed and we talked some more. She is another good friend. I am so fortunate in my friends. I may even be able to get her to come on a regular basis, but she seems interested in helping me with the last things that need to be done to get things really neat around here.


The weather was interesting. It started out the way it has been lately - warm and humid - and then around 8 AM, suddenly the wind started blowing from the west with gusts up to 28 mph. That went on for about three hours, then it went calm and there hasn't been much wind since. The temperature went up to 80 briefly, but the humidity went down to under 50%. My hip feels much better already. When the wind started, it got very cloudy for a while but when it went calm, the skies cleared and they've been clear ever since. The smoke is mostly going south of us, so it was even blue for a while and there was another nice moon tonight. I even saw some stars last night. I could take a lot of this - temperature in the low 70s and humidity in the low 40s is my nearly ideal conditions.


Grayson was very excited to see Mary Ann, and he even talked to her and let her pet him for a long time. She was sitting on the sewing chair and he was on the cart between us and he was so happy. I know he's lonely, even though he likes to be with me. He's a very social cat.


So that was my day. Now my garage is empty and I can begin to fill it up again and I will be getting some more help to get the rest of the house in order. And I'm tired. I was sitting hunched up so much that my chest was extremely sore again, but I've been trying to sit straighter and it feels better. I need to take a bath tonight - and I WILL - and that should help, too. These things have always happened to me in the summer, when I can't possibly use a heating pad, so I just have to figure out other ways to cope.


It's a clear, warm night in the field and the moon is setting just to the north of the mountain. All is well.


August 10

With all the computer stuff, I was too late getting to bed and late getting up. My aches didn't bother me too much when I was lying down, although moving around with my hip was hard. Today the pain has moved around to my back, so I guess it's muscular. It's too hot and humid to use the heating pad, so I guess I'll just have to suffer until it goes away or it cools off.


I didn't do anything because I was so late, except that I had a text conversation with Scott. They still plan to come and get the bags, but I don't know when. He was the one who called DHHS.


The weather is miserable. The high temperature was 80 and the dew point was 68, which means it was very humid. Around mid-afternoon, it began to get very dark and then the thunder began. We had 0.3" of rain between about 3:45 and 5:15, so of course, it's been even more humid ever since. Most of the rain and all of the lightning was out over the lake, but it was a bit noisy around here for a while.


Grayson doesn't like the weather one little bit. He found the coolest spot in the house - right next to my bedside table in the bedroom - and he spent most of the day there. He got up and complained when the thunder started. He doesn't get scared, but he doesn't like all that noise, I suppose because he was a stray and usually thunder means rain. He wanted my fish, but he didn't get any because I had put a little herb mix with onion in it on before I cooked it.


So that's all there is and now it's a warm, very humid, very uncomfortable night in the field.


August 9

Ew, it was not a good day.


I got to bed around when I wanted to, but I didn't sleep well for the whole night. My scars and my hip ached and my feet were cold. I think I was sleeping when the alarm went off, but I never got into a deep sleep. I don't think I will have such a problem tonight.


I moved about as fast as I can and I was finished with my morning surfing when I had an accident and ended up having to change everything I waw wearing except for my socks. I was particularly annoyed with having to change my top, but either some tea or some crud got on it and I try not go go out with spots on my shirts, because I know how I've reacted when I've seen that on other old people in the past.


I left about when I wanted to anyway and I got to the hospital when I wanted to. My visit went well, I guess, although if I had been on the other side and a patient with my history came in complaining about the pains she was having in her chest, I would have ordered some kind of scan. Oh, well. I'll see how it goes. it could be just muscle...but it could be something else. I thought about that later.


Anyway, then I went to Pat's and I now have lots of lettuce and a couple of nice dinners as well as some more watermelon. Walking wasn't any harder than usual, but moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake was a real problem. I managed, though, and the only time I accidentally hit the accelerator I was in park. I had to move the strap on my right Croc to the back because my shoe kept coming off.


The trip down wasn't bad, although I had to pass one guy. THe trip home was another thing. I was waiting to turn into the gas station and I had to wait for at least 18 cars going north. I wondered what that was all about, although the parade was led by a little poison green thing that apparently was driving really, really carefully, I always wonder when I see something like that. Maybe the guy doesn't have a license?


Anyway, I had to pass the guy I was at the gas station with, who had a trailer with four bicycles on it and another two on his roof. Maybe I'd drive slowly if I had that setup, but by that time I wanted go get home. I led the parade into Copper Harbor, although I didn't think I was going so slowly.


For once I didn't have to open the gate coming in, because someone was going out at the same time. It was a relief. I got home around 4:30. I unloaded about half the groceries when I had to come in and pee, and I sat until 7 PM before I brought in the rest of the stuff. My ploy of putting a tub on the furniture dolly worked great, although I had too much stuff for it. Just about everything I bought had to go in the fridge, which is now bulging.


Then I came in here and just sat for a long time. For one thing, I couldn't decide what i wanted to eat. I didn't want to make a real dinner - I'm too tired - and it took me a while to figure out something else.


When I came in the first time, i discovered that Grayson was lying in the hallway, waiting for me. He had a lot to say after I sat down. I think he was complaining because I left him for the whole afternoon. He wanted to be petted and he wanted some of my sandwich, but it's too hot to sit on me.


It was hot, and it was terminally humid. The temperature here got to 81 about the time I got home, although it dropped off after that. The dew point was nearly steady around 68 which meant that the humidity only briefly got under 70% and it's now over 90%. Unfortunately the camera hung up, it looks like around 9:30 AM and I didn't notice it until after I left, so we didn't get to see the fog roll in around 8:30 PM or so. It didn't last long then, but I think it's foggy again. I do not like this weather. It gives me all these aches and pains.


Grayson has finally gone off again, but he was not pleased that I went away and left him.


I was just about to go to bed when the game I was playing hung up and I ended up having to reboot twice, so I won't be early tonight. At least I got to hear Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto. And everything is in the fridge - nothing is out in the breezeway. I think Debbie threw out a bunch of canned goods. though. Oh, and my blood work was great. My potassium is high and my creatinine is as low as it gets (that's kidney function). So something was good. 


So it's late and it's a warm, very humid, foggy night in the field. I hurt and I'm very tired.


August 8

I need to go back to bed. For some reason I thought today was the 9th. Sigh.


I was in bed by 11:30, a little later than I planned. I slept mostly well. I was awake around 7:30 after one wakeup, but that didn't feel like quite enough sleep, so I went back to bed...and the next time I woke up was 11:30. Not exactly what I planned. And I feel like I need to go back now.


I knitted my 3 repeats of the edging and it took me about 15 minutes less than the last time I knit, so I'm slowly getting into it. It still takes almost 2 hours, though. And then I fell down the rabbit hole and didn't take my bath until after 6 PM. So it was a one-meal day.


One reason is that I hurt all over. Every joint ached or felt like it was being poked with an ice pick, depending. My scars ached extremely - still do - and I even had those twinges like I get where I have the  neuropathy, except all over the place. I want to trade in my body.


The weather didn't help, and it probably had a lot to do with my hurt, especially the joints, The lowest the humidity got was 79%, which is dreadful for my joints. The high temperature was 78. sometime in the afternoon. It's so humid that the towels felt wet before I even used them. Yuck. It was cloudy all day, too. Oh, and the camera hung up at least twice. I think it's OK now, but I will probably have to reset it tomorrow.


Grayson wasn't so patient with me today. He kept coming in and chewing me out until I finally started moving around. I wonder if he's realized that he gets his very most favorite canned food on Sunday? So he ate and then he went to sleep. He didn't even ask for any of my fish. 


So it was a lost day, and I'm going to bed. My eyes are telling me they need to be closed. I have to leave around 11 AM for my appointment at the clinic. It's a warmish, cloudy, very humid night in the field. Yuck.


August 7

I'm tired tonight, so maybe I can get to bed early. I wasn't so late last night, but it was after midnight. I slept well and I think I slept enough, but I've been tired all day.


Debbie called late this afternoon and we talked as long as we usually do, even though we saw enough of each other a week ago. i guess that's how it is with friends. 


The weather was cool and sort of cloudy or smoky. The temperature did eventually get up to 68 for a while, but for most of the day it was around 65. The wind was light and mostly from the east.


Grayson mostly slept, of course, but after I hung up with Debbie he came and sat down on my lap and got a good petting and he purred at me.


So it was a quiet day and I hope it will be an early night. It's a cloudy, cool night in the field.


August 6

I managed to get to bed around midnight last night and I slept well, although I was up for about 45 minutes around 6 AM because I was thinking about something I wanted to check online. At least with the phone I can do those things while I'm thinking about them instead of trying to remember what I wanted to know. I think this one was about cooking beans in the slow cooker. Anyway, it was nearly 10 AM before I got up for good, which was nice.


Not that I did anything with my time. Grayson was complaining before I got dressed and the only thing i did was to try to call the builder. I only got his phone mail, so I only hope to hear from him on Monday. 


The weather was so-so and blah. The high temperature was only 70 and it was in the middle 60s for most of the day. It was cloudy but not smoky and there was a wind from the north that got up to 25 mph gusts. The rain they were promising never happened at all. 


Grayson slept after he got his breakfast, although he wanted some of my fish. Those portions are only 6 oz. so he didn't get any. I don't think the parmesan and whatever else they put on it is good for him anyway. He just can't understand why he can't have anything with onions or garlic, even though it smells so good. Tomatoes aren't too good for him, either.


I was listening to the radio and stitching on my little roses (all leaves today) when it suddenly occurred to me that I never got a renewal notice for my license plate. So I went out to the Secretary of State's site. Wow, talk about a user UNfriendly site! I had to search all over before I found the right page, and then I discovered that the whole process is now online and to the best of my knowledge, they never told anybody they weren't going to send notices by mail. On the other hand, they didn't charge me a late fee, which they did the last time I forgot about it, so I guess it has occurred to them that maybe most people don't know about the change. I don't know what people who don't have internet access would do. They will send me the tab and registration document by mail, I guess, because they did say I couldn't get the registration electronically. And so far, I haven't gotten a receipt by email. These people...


So that was my day and I'm going to try to get to bed at a decent hour again tonight. It's a cool, cloudy night in the field. We need rain...


August 5

I was only a little earlier last night and I got two phone calls this morning, one on each phone. The one on the land line was to remind me of my doctor's appointment on Monday and I was glad to get it, because I wasn't sure whether they had ordered blood work - they had - but the other one was a seriously wrong number from Henry Fort Health System in Detroit. The person said she would call again, which will be interesting. If she does, I guess I'll have to answer and tell her she has the wrong number. My cell number is a very easy one, but I can't tell you how many wrong numbers I've gotten over the years I've had it - at least 30. At one point, it got so bad there were several numbers I had to block to get them to stop calling me. Sigh.


Anyway, after the first one, I went back to sleep, but when the cell phone went off (I keep it in the bathroom) i got up to see who it was and I decided to stay up. As a result, I didn't get nearly enough sleep, so I didn't do anything much today. Ron brought my Schwan's order on his way home and we had a nice conversation - the iirst one we've had in a long time.


After he left, I chipped the ice out of the bottom of the freezer. I am happy to say that the ice seems to be slowly subliming. I still can't get the basket out, but now it's mostly the ice underneath that's holding it in place. There was a little in front of the basket, but not much, and I haven't cleaned it up in at least a month. If i wanted to take the time, I might be able to free it with the hair dryer. I'll see how it looks next month and then I may try it. I dearly wish I could get that basket to come out, not to mention the bag of beef and broccoli that is frozen into the back of it...


The weather would have been nice except for the smoke and clouds. The high temperature was 81. but I think it was while I had my head in the freezer, so I didn't notice it. The wind has been from the southwest, although it went calm during the middle of the day. It has now picked up again and the temperature has dropped enough that I had to close the south window. There is still a lot of smoke out there and the sky was cloudy-bright as well, so the camera pictures were black and white.


I don't think Grayson felt very good today. He mostly lied around and at one point, he batted me when I wanted to pet him. He didn't draw blood, but those little, sharp claws hurt. He did eat and he greeted Ron, but I wonder about him. I'm watching him.


So that was my day and maybe, just maybe I can get to bed at a semi-reasonable hour tonight. I need to haul myself back - my doctor's appointment is at 1 PM on Monday, so with the blood work I'll have to be there by noon.


It's a warmish, cloudy night in the field.


August 4

Late again and nothing done. Well - I worked on my little cross stitch project and it's about half done. 


And I took the rug out of the dryer so it would finish drying. i have two rugs for my bedside that are made of the leftovers from an athletic sock factory. I doubt they're available anymore; I got these 20 years ago. Anyway, they cut off ends and some local weavers wove them into nice rugs. They are thick and cushy and they wash like a dream. They don't slide as much as other throw rugs. A couple of the locals used to sell them in their gift shops, so I got a couple when I knew I was going to have a house here. The one I washed is he largest and I don't know how long it had been down. It was full of cat hair and dust and drips and probably oher stuff. I soaked it the other day and then I washed it and dried it. Its one disadvantage is that it takes forever to dry, so right now it is hanging over the washer. It should be dry by tomorrow.


The weather was warm, sunny and very smoky. The high temperature was 82 and there wasn't any wind. it's very humid.


The camera hung up around 9 AM, and it was a while before I got here to fix it. Sorry about that. You didn't miss anything.


Grayson mostly slept, laid out outside the door to the office. He doesn't like this weather as much as I don't.


So that's all there is and I'll try again. It's a warm, humid night in the field. Where is our August cool spell?


August 3

I was going to be late anyway, but just about the time I was planning on going up to the north end, the computer keyboard stopped working. I fiddled a while and then I rebooted, but it wasn't until I followed the cord to the back of the CPU and ended up with the plug in my hand that i realized what the problem was. It was OK anyway - the camera hung up and I couldn't get it to work, either, so I needed to reboot. Anyway, that added time, even though the reboot worked faster than usual (Why?? Experiments should be reproducible - they should fail in the same way.) and then I fiddled around for a while longer, getting everything set up the way I wanted it.


So I was really late getting to bed and really late getting up and I didn't do anything today. I got my nine hours, but it didn't seem like it and I've been tired all day. I'll be a little earlier tonight, but these things seem to accumulate.


The weather was rather nice, although the smoke was thick again. The interesting thing was that while the temperature went up and down a bit, as low as 68, the high was 74 and it never got higher. There was a light north wind until around 8 PM, when it went calm for a couple of hours before it switched around to the southwest, also light. Without the smoke, it would have been clear.


Grayson slept mostly. Debbie gave me a couple of cans of the food she feeds her spoiled brat cat, and he thought they were pretty good, but i expect they're expensive.


So that was a lost day and it's a warmish, smoky night in the field.


August 2

I was a little earlier last night, but not a lot. I did sleep a bit longer, and I knitted a couple of repeats of the edging. I hope to get it down well enough that I can do at least three an hour, but we'll see how that goes.


That was about all I did, except that I FINISHED the sampler! Wow! For a while there I was thinking I'd never get it done. When I unrolled it and held it up, I find I really do like it, so all my hard work was worth it. I started my next project, which is about as different as cross stitch can get. This one is 3" square and it has 21 colors as well as three blended colors. I did some leaves - there are three families of green - and it isn't going to take very long, but it's fun to work on something like that. It's something I found when I got into the cupboard the other day and it will prepare me for the two big Redoute-style pictures I have in the queue.


I had noticed that the contractor who built my house still has a website, so I called the number on it...and it was disconnected. I wasn't surprised. Philippe isn't as old as I am, but he's not that much younger and he retired some time ago anyway. It's too bad. I felt much better about dealing with him than I do with the guy who came out here. I'll keep looking.


The weather is warming. It actually spiked up to 80 between 3 and 4 PM. That was when the smoke moved in. It had been clear and blue until around 3 PM, but then the smoke got so thick I couldn't even see the mountain. If you looked at the camera page this afternoon, that wasn't fog - it was smoke. Looking at the NOAA smoke map, it seems like most of northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan are on fire. So sad. Anyway, here, there was a light north wind for a while, but it's died down now. It was quite humid for most of the day, but it's going down to a comfortable level now.


Grayson is just happy things have settled down in his house. I had to try to clean his tray today and that did not go well. He has been peeing in it, instead of in the shower, and it's been so humid it hasn't dried. He pees a whole lot, too. I think I got it under control, but it was hard. He was a bit put out with me because I was late getting his breakfast, and all of his kibble bowls were nearly empty, and then I decided they should be washed before I filled them. Once he got them back and I gave him his canned food, he was much happier and he slept somewhere near me for the rest of the day.


So things have quieted down. Cheryl insisted upon running a load of miscellaneous dishes and things through the dishwasher and I still haven't done anything with that except for what I need. Too much waling around.


Now it's a late, warm, smoky night in the field and I guess I'd better go to bed.


August 1

Well, I was ridiculously late getting to bed. Mary Ann had called twice, I think, when I got home and she called me back right as i was about to save last night's journal and go to bed, around 11:00. We talked for three hours. Debbie isn't the only one I talk to forever. We hadn't talked for three or four weeks, though, so there was a lot to catch up on. She is fine but Bill is still doctoring heavily. His problems just seem to keep multiplying.


So I was only up once overnight and I was late getting up and then I just sat for a long time. I got dressed to late for a real lunch and too early for dinner, so my schedule has been rather off today. I did have the rest of both my fish and Debbie's fish for dinner tonight, and while it was a bit overcooked, it was still as wonderful as it was last night.


The weather wasn't too bad. The temperature got to 68 late in the day and the wind was from the north, under 10 mph, all day. Skies were cloudy until around 1 PM, then white for the rest of the afternoon and clear when it got dark. it's still much too humid for my taste, but it got down to the low 70s late in the afternoon.


Grayson was impatient with me. He wanted his breakfast, which he inhaled, and he wanted some of my fish, which he didn't get. He did fall asleep on my lap for a while late this afternoon. I think he's glad all the rustling around is over.


I discovered that the ladies didn't get to the floor in the hall, which has spots on it, so I will have to see if I can take care of that. I also discovered that they were using my barf bucket when they were working in the breezeway, Fortunately, I had come across a little green bucket - I think it was supposed to be a paint bucket - that will make a much better barf bucket. I will only have to get it up to the bathroom.


i also discovered that it seems like the builder who built my house is working again, so I am planning to give him a call tomorrow. I hope he can help me. I am just not comfortable with the guy who was out here. He may be a good builder, but he clearly has some mental problems. I mentioned that to Johanna last night and she agreed with me, and she knows just about everything that's going on around the Copper Country. Let's hope.


So it was a quiet, rather truncated day and I don't intend to be nearly as late tonight. It's a cool, clear night in the field.


Last  updated 09/01/21 11:24 PM

Copyright S. I. Smith, 2000-2021