A View From the Field








February, 2020


February 29 - Leap Day

I was reading again, and you know where that leads. I think it was around noon when I got up, and i knitted on the sock for quite a while. I did some more later, and I'm starting the toe, so this one has gone fast. As I mentioned, it's been so long since I did a sock on #2 needles that I'd forgotten how much faster they go. That's good, because this yarn is really rather boring and I want to get done with it.


I intended to go to the post office today. I didn't go yesterday, because it was so nasty out, but when I called Ron, he pointed out that the Copper Dog is this weekend and I guess Copper Harbor was a zoo. My package had apparently not arrived anyway. So I will hope it's there by Monday.


I won't be going to church tomorrow. I had hoped to, and the weather looked to cooperate, but I would be going and coming in the middle of the Copper Dog, and I just don't want to get hung up in that. So I read for quite a while and then I wrote for quite a while and I think I have the story I was writing on in the proper order now. I didn't get to the next exciting part, but I'm in a position now where I think I can get there without too much trouble.


The weather was much nicer than yesterday. The high temperature was 32. The wind started out from the north, but between 1:00 and 2:00 PM it switched around to the southwest. It wasn't very strong in either direction, although it's gotten a bit gusty lately. It was clear this morning, but it clouded up around the time the wind shifted and it was cloudy at sunset.


The guys slept. Grayson didn't get much lap time because he sat down on me and started kicking my gut and I don't like that, so I shooed him away. I think Louie has been up at the north end all day, as usual.


So it was very quiet. I still don't feel good, and besides my head and my runny nose, my tummy is a bit rocky, especially after the sort of weird dinner I had. I'm getting tired of this. So now it's late and maybe I can wash my hair tonight after all, but we'll see. It's a dark, cloudy night in the field.


February 28

I guess I was reading last night and i wanted to finish the story, so I was very late. I just cannot get my schedule under control. It's depressing. Anyway, I got a call from the hospital around 9:30 this morning. As usual, I was awake when it came, and I got my appointment rescheduled. I went back to sleep, but there was a spam call around 11:30, so I decided to get up. When I saw the weather, I decided not to go out, even though I should have packages at both the store and the post office. When I saw that snow swirling around behind the breezeway, and saw that the wind chill was 0, I bailed.


So I did nothing much. I had a cat on my lap for a good part of the afternoon, after I cleaned up from my accident, but finally he left and I got an hour and a half of embroidery in. I am still working on the big diamond. I've done all the cross stitch except where I goofed and had to rip, and I'm doing the backstitch - or in this case, some of it is double running. Except for a few rows on the sock, that was it.


The weather is windy. The temperature is finally moderating. It got up to 24 late this afternoon, but the wind is still from the north and very strong - in the 20-25 mph range with gusts as high as 40 mph. It was dark and cloudy all day but there wasn't any snow. Late in the afternoon it began to clear up, although there were still clouds at sunset. When I finally went to get some dinner, there was a little crescent moon hanging over Porter's Island and casting a glitter path on the ice. Maybe I'll see a star or two.


The guys were sleepy. I was a bit concerned, because nobody came when I opened a can of food, but somebody has been eating it, so I guess they're all right. I know Grayson is; he was running around and making like a vulture while I ate. I don't know about Louie. I think he was the one eating the canned food, but he must be up at the north end asleep.


So it was another extremely quiet day. My head hurt and my nose ran and when I stand up, my hips and lower back are almost too sore to move. Oh, well. Eventually I'll get over this.


It's a clear (I think), cold and windy night in the field.


February 27

I didn't manage to get to bed until 12:30 again, but I slept fairly well, and I didn't get up until after 11:00, so I should have had enough sleep. It was in part because I started Googling high potassium foods, and it turns out that I eat a high potassium diet. I haven't been eating bananas and I don't like avocados very well, but everything else on the top 20 list is in my diet (including Brussels sprouts), so the only thing I can think of that may be causing my problem is that my diarrhea has been worse than usual lately...but that may be a catch-22, since low potassium seems to cause diarrhea... Can't win sometimes.


Anyway, it was a nice, slow day. I called the doctor's office but they didn't get back to me, so if I don't hear from them tomorrow morning, I will call them again. And I got into a mess with my order for kibble tonight. I placed the order for all four bags at once (total 64 lb) and then I realized that is too much for either me or my FedEx driver to handle. He'll do it, but it's bad for him. So I had a chat with Chewy, and I must say that at least in this instance, their customer service is very good. So it will come in two boxes, and not one. That's still too heavy for me, but my driver can handle it. They said FedEx approved the weight limit - which I will try to remember to talk about to my driver the next time I see him. He is actually an independent contractor, so he may not have any clout, but at least he might try to talk to them. Sixty-eight pounds is too heavy for anybody to try to lift, in my opinion.


So that was about all I did, because I had a cat on my lap for most of the talking. He really does get bent out of shape when I go away for an afternoon. i guess he wonders if I'm ever coming back. You'd think Louie would be worse, with what he went through, but they have such different personalities. They were happy because I filled the kibble bowls. I was surprised, because Louie sat right down at a different one from what I thought he'd been eating, although I know he likes both kinds, apparently equally well. That's good, though, because the one he didn't eat is the one I'm completely out of. Anyway, they both got a good loving. I always thought Louie ate plastic bags because he had hairballs, but now I think it's because he doesn't have any food to eat and his tummy hurts, and the plastic fills it up. People do things like that, too. Poor Louie. He is so fat, he can't jump at all anymore, but he is still sweet to me and he can still run occasionally.


It snowed today. at least until about 5:00 PM. It wasn't heavy enough to register at the weather station, but it did cover the mountain for most of the day. It was cold; the temperature was 18 all day, and the wind was in the 25 mph range from the north, and the gusts have now risen to 43 mph. Of course, it was dark and dreary, so I ignored it.


I still hurt, although not as much as last night, and I felt lousy. My nose was running and my head hurt all day. I did have a nice dinner tonight. I picked an exceptionally tender lamb chop and it was lovely, and I had the sweet potato fries from Schwan's that have been in the freezer for a while. They were good but mushy, and I think I will like the sweet potatoes I got yesterday better. I do not believe in low-carb diets, but I try, as best I can, to lean toward complex carbs. I have been interested to discover that potatoes of all kinds are high in fiber as well as a lot of the nutrients I need to try to keep healthy. Oh, goodie! The only thing I found interesting is that people eat the skins of sweet potatoes. We never did, but then, it took us a long time to even eat the skins of white potatoes, and now I like them much better with skins. So I will bake my sweet potatoes and enjoy - and try not to use too much butter! Like regular potatoes, salt helps. Anyway, I will continue to eat brown rice - I ordered more yesterday - but it's nice to have more variety to eat than I've had. I'm not sure about that last batch of rice anyway. It was pretty gross the other night, and I only hope reheating it will make it less mushy. Potatoes, here we come... Oh, and all that stuff is a good source of potassium, too. 


So that was my day, and now I need to try to get to bed early. I am still exhausted. It's a very cold, dark, windy night in the field.


February 26

Wow, I am tired, but at least this time it's because I did something. I got to bed around 12:30 this morning, and I slept fairly well, although I was wakeful after about 7:00.


It was a sort of frustrating morning. I had to grab a pair of jeans out of the laundry room - and I found a pair that weren't very clean - and then I decided I wanted to wear one of my warmer tops, so I finally had to investigate the window seat (under it is where I store all my fleece). Well, I found why Grayson had been scratching on the fleece throws. I thought so. The only thing I don't know is where they were peeing when they wouldn't go downstairs. So I have a lot of cleaning and a lot of washing to do.


Anyway, I got dressed and got breakfast and I was running late so except for my daily devotion, I didn't get to do any surfing. I was sort of on track, but as I was getting ready to go down the hall to get ready to go, I started dribbling off. Fortunately, it wasn't bad, because I didn't have time to change my undies. 


I was very surprised by the road. While it's mostly snow and ice covered from here to Copper Harbor, from there south, it wasn't bad. There was snow from Copper Harbor to Lac LaBelle Road, but it was spotty, and they had salted and sanded some of the worst parts from Copper Harbor to Lake Medora. Why they stopped there, I don't know... It would have been a whole lot better if it hadn't snowed this morning. From Lac LaBelle Road south, it was clear but wet in spots and the further south I got, the less wet there was. I got behind an idiot who thought he was driving on glare ice, but I got around him. Not that I went at my usual speed; I was very careful on the covered road and not much less careful from there south. There are some curves - I know them well - where any amount of ice can be disastrous.


So I got to the hospital just about when I wanted to and I even got a good parking place in front of the emergency entrance. I ran into a whole lot of chatty people, but that was nice, since I haven't seen may people for a while and they were all nice.


I had a good visit with my PA, who is also chatty. It appears that not all the way I've been feeling has been my sinus thing or the tamoxifen, though. My potassium levels are way down, which is a good reason to feel bad. So we decided to see if I can adjust my diet to get more potassium, and I will see her in three months. Not on the day of my appointment, though, because I already have another one that day at about the same time. I will wrangle that tomorrow.


That took a while, and then I was off to Pat's. I was concerned about walking around there, but my knees were better today than they were yesterday, and while I was awfully tired by the time I got through, I made it and I got help getting into the car. That turned out to be a good trip - I got everything I wanted, including my OJ, my honey and my bread. I also got a lamb chop and some pork chops. I've been thinking about pork chops again, although I haven't decided whether to do them in the slow cooker again (of course, that means I have a liner) or use my old recipe with onions and mushroom soup, which I haven't had in a long time. We'll see.


Anybody who saw me in front of the eggs, though, would have shaken their head at that dotty old lady. I went through about a dozen cartons to find four with the longest expiration date. Since I buy my eggs four dozen at a time, I want them to be the freshest possible. I buy locally sourced eggs, and the last time I did, they were so fresh I could poach them, even after a week or two of storage. i eat a lot of eggs. When they're fresh, I fry or poach them, and when they begin to get old, I scramble them. I like eggs - always have.


Anyway, I did more damage than I'd hoped but less than I feared and I have a lot of stuff I won't have to worry about for at least another month or two, like salad dressing. 


I had to get gas. I actually only needed around 17 gallons, but since I was there and I had discounts for 35 a gallon off, I thought it would be good to get it, since I don't know when I'll be back. That was a real frustration. The first pump I went to, when I looked at it, said "please pay inside (E01)" and it was hung up. So I had to close the gas cap, get back into the car (with no help) and find another pump. The one thing I've always found annoying about the gas stations owned by Pat's is that they are very stingy with their maintenance. Anyway, I did find a pump that worked. but my discount is only good for 15 gallons, so I had to put the pump back in the bracket, take my receipt and do the whole thing over again. By the time I finally crawled back into the car, my fingers were frozen. 


Did I mention that the temperature was around 20 with 20 mph winds? My parka and my baby cap keep me nice and warm - having cold legs doesn't seem to bother me much except in the knees - but I have Raynaud's Syndrome, which means that my fingers (and toes and nose and upper lip) freeze up and get numb and sore, and defrosting them is even more painful. So when I left Calumet, my fingernails were all blue and my fingers looked like I'd been soaking them in water for too long. Fortunately, it's a passing problem, and as soon as the car warmed up, I was fine.


I got home around 5:30 and I had to unload the car. Most of the stuff is still out on the platform in the breezeway, but it's as cold or colder out there as it is in the fridge. I am exhausted and very creaky. I did get a nice dinner, but only the with the veggies I bought. I will consider cooking tomorrow. And my potassium problem.


The weather was frigid. The temperature fell all night, and it was around 20 all day, all over. The trouble was the wind, which was from the northeast in the 15-25 mph range, which put the wind chill down around 5, Like I said, my parka and my baby cap keep me cozy, and if I can wear my mittens (which I couldn't) my hands stay warm. My legs get cold, which doesn't do my knees any good. If I'd thought about it, I would have worn my longjohns. That usually helps. It was dull and gray and spitting snow all day, but I don't think there was more than a quarter inch of accumulation.


I don't know what the guys did while I was gone. Grayson has been around since I got home. First he wanted to sit on me when I had to get up and get my dinner, and then he wanted my dinner. How they react to things always surprises me. Louie is very nervous about new people and odd sounds, but me going away doesn't seem to bother him much at all. Grayson loves new people and sounds don't affect him at all, but he hates it when I go away.


So that was my day. Oh, shoot! I can't go to bed now - they're playing Beethoven's 8th. I know we'll hear a lot of Beethoven this year, but that's fine with me. I want to hear all I can. Anyway, I guess I accomplished a couple of things today. Now it's a very cold, dark night in the field, and as soon as the Beethoven finishes, I'll be tottering up to the north end.


February 25

Late again, of course. Not tonight, or at least I hope not. One never knows, especially since I'm trying to get help from PayPal to transfer a very nice donation I got from someone today, and I can't do it. As I just wrote them, in their effort to make the website easy to use, they've made it totally unusable. Sheesh.


I got up late, of course, and I knitted for a long time, but I got the leg and the heel done on the sock, so tomorrow I can have at the foot without worrying about counting or short rows or anything. The colors in this thing are sort of dull but the print is interesting, so it's not as boring a knit as I thought it might be.


The weather was nondescript, dull and gray. The temperature fell all day, from a high of 35 at midnight to 27 now. The wind was from the northeast to east in the 15-25 mph range.


The guys mostly slept, but they both got a good loving. Louie got his in the bathroom, and he purred a lot. Grayson finally came and sat on me and he got his love, too. I don't remember, but I think he left without my urging. 


I had a schedule all plotted out for the evening, which has now been destroyed by the stupid internet...and they're playing Brahms' 4th, which I like. I wanted to get to bed early so that I could get up and get ready for my day out in a reasonable manner, but oh, well. I'll make it. I need to wash my hair tonight so I'm pretty for the people. And I'm really tired.


I've forgotten how to cook rice. The last time, I burned it, and tonight it came out mushy and watery, even though I followed the directions on the package. That might be all right, because it usually gets very dry when it's in the fridge, but the directions clearly called for too much water. Well, hopefully, by Friday I will have my new liner and I'll be able to use my rice cooker again.


So it's a cold, cloudy night in the field and it might snow again...


February 24

So I was late again, for no good reason, and I was really late getting up, then I had to spend a long time sitting in the bathroom, so my entire day was skewed. It's not too late right now, so maybe I can get to bed soon and begin to make up for it.


I was so late that I didn't do anything but my surfing, but while I was reading, I knitted on the sock, and I'm getting down toward the heel. I've been knitting on #! needles for so long that I'd forgotten how much faster socks go on #2s. I'm torn, though. I like to take a sock when I go to the doctor, so I have something to do while I'm waiting, but it looks like I may be turning the heel on Wednesday and I don't like to do that unless I have a quiet place to do it. Well, we'll see. Maybe I can forge ahead and get the heel done tomorrow. I'm going to do a short-row heel, because I want to keep the pattern in the yarn, and that takes a lot less time than a flap heel.


The weather was nondescript. Our sunshine has gone away, or it did after about 1:00 PM. The wind has died down, too. The temperature was nearly steady around 39 for most of the day, although it's dropping off a bit now. It's a lot more humid than it was over the weekend, and my joints are telling me so. The afternoon was dark and dull.


The guys slept. For some reason, Grayson hasn't even tried to come and sit on me for the past couple of days. I talked to him about it tonight, and maybe that will help. I'm afraid he has confused sitting on my lap with walking under my legs when I'm at the computer desk. Louie sleeps all the time anyway.


So that was it. I can't do any shopping until Wednesday, so I'm making lists. It was warm enough in here today that I didn't have to worry about the space heater, but I'm going to have to replace it. because neither the heat nor the fan are working very well. 


Now it's a cool, dark night in the field and I have to decide whether to stay up to hear the Rachmaninoff or not.


February 23

As frequently happens when I sleep as long as I did Friday night, I was very late last night and I didn't get a lot of sleep. Maybe tonight will be better, but I'm reading one of my favorite stories, so we'll see. Anyway, I took my bath this afternoon and ate late. And I didn't do anything but my surfing.


The weather was nice again. It was clear and blue all day, and the high temperature was 47. I don't think I've ever seen it this warm since I've lived here. This morning, there was hardly any wind at all, but around 2:00 PM< all of a sudden it started to blow from the northwest, and the gusts got up to 43 mph before it began to die down a bit. It always amazes me. One moment, it can be nearly calm, and the next, it's blowing a gale. It doesn't work up to it - it just starts. It sure was nice to see the sunshine again, and it's warm in here for a change, thanks to the solar heat.


The guys slept, I think. I didn't see much of any of them. I think Grayson had a hairball, but he didn't come around until I started eating my dinner. He thinks my Chicken Cordon Bleu smells good - and I suppose it does, because it has all sorts of things he likes - but he wouldn't eat it if I gave him some and besides, the serving is too small to share. Louie slept all the time I was in the bathroom, but it was warm enough that he kept turning on his back and stretching out full length. He is a big cat especially when he's fully stretched. One thing I've always loved about cats is how comfortable they can get.


So it was a very quiet day, and now it's time to go to bed. I feel a bit better than I did yesterday, but my head still hurts and my nose is still running. My throat is scratchy and at intervals, one of my mastoids starts to ache or a lymph node gets sore, so clearly I'm still fighting it. I have to go to town on Wednesday, sick or well, snow or not, both to see the oncology department and to shop for food and get gas, so I'll just have to hope I feel better by then.


Now it's a warm, clear night in the field - amazing to write that!

February 22

I was so tired last night that I got to bed shortly after midnight and I didn't get up until 11:30 this morning. Of course, that meant I'm going to be late tonight. I am still sick. My head hurt all day and my nose ran, so I had already decided not to try to get up at 6:00 AM to go to church, but my hours are so skewed there was no way I could do that anyway.


Except to knit on the sock for a while I didn't do much of anything.


It was another beautifully clear, warm day. By the time I finally got to the studio, it was 71 in here, and it's been a very long time since that last happened. Oh, I love that free solar heat! The high temperature for the day was 41 and the wind was very light and all over the compass. It was beautifully clear all day. I


've had to adjust both end points of the camera pictures - again - and I'll be doing the same thing for quite a while. We're gaining day length at over 3 minutes a day now. And of course, in a couple of weeks we'll be going on stupid daylight savings time, which screws everything up, including my schedule. If I can't get up at 6:00 AM now, how am I going to get up at 5:00 AM?


The guys slept. Oh, did they sleep! All the time I was in the bathroom, they were asleep on the floor there. 


So that was a nothing day, and now it's late and I do want to try to wash my hair tonight. At least maybe I can begin to get that part of my schedule under control...


It's a clear, dark night in the field.


February 21

So it was another late night, but not quite as late as lately. I slept, of course, since I was falling asleep before I

got into bed, and I got my nine hours, but that meant that I woke up late and had to rush. I needed to go to the post office - I got my power cord, but I haven't tried it yet - and I needed a few things at the store to tide me over until I go to town on Wednesday. Then I had to get my small Schwan's order.


Once that was all over (and put away) -whew! - I tried calling the maker of my rice cooker - again - and after a couple of tries I finally got a person and ordered my inner pot. It seems like they have an extremely picky way of checking the validity of credit cards and since I hadn't put in my middle initial or added the four digit extension onto my zip code, it rejected. Sheesh. Anyway, with the help of a nice person, I managed to get all that taken care of and I should have my pot by next week. In the meantime, I will have to learn how to cook rice all over again. I made a mess of one of my pots the last time. It's amazing how easily one can get used to something.


That was about all I had time to do. i managed some embroidery while the talking was going on, but the motif I'm working on now is fussy, so I didn't make a lot of progress.


It was a beautiful, sunny day, but windy. The high temperature got up to 44 (!) and the wind was mostly from the northwest with gusts up to 33 mph. I can't remember another February when the temperature got that warm, but then, this has been a weird winter altogether. The humidity was very low (as low as 35%), so once I got moving at all, I didn't hurt too much.


I think the guys slept. Grayson wanted to sit on me, but it was at a time when I was about to go and do something else, so I couldn't let him. Both guys spent as much time basking in the sunshine in the great room as they possibly could.


The sunshine finally warmed things up in here, at least to a reasonable temperature, and it was nice not to freeze my nose. For some reason, my sinuses were really clogged today, so I had a headache, runny nose and runny eyes all day. I'm sure I still have that sinus infection, so I feel lousy. I am going to try - try - try - to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight. We'll see how that goes.


Now it's a relatively warm, clear night in the field. I want to see those stars!


February 20

I was earlier last night, but that's not saying a lot. I got up around 11:30, I think maybe, and today I actually knitted two rows on the shawl. It's been a while since I worked on that, and I had less trouble than I thought I might, although I did drop something and had to recover. Only a couple of stitches, though, and I think I got it back together right. I hope nobody ever looks closely at that thing - I've made a lot of mistakes in it. And I washed my hair. I would rather shower before I go to bed, because it warms me up, and I had trouble getting to sleep last night because I was so cold, but somehow I haven't been able to do it lately.


I was looking at something on the phone when all of a sudden, I lost my wi-fi. I thought it might be the extender, so when I finally got to the kitchen, I power failed it - it's in the powder room. That didn't work, so I went on my way, and I determined that my computer was working fine, I was mystified. So this evening, I gave up and called Verizon Tech Support, although when I called, I didn't know that was what it was. It turns out there are any number of things I had never gotten set up properly that are now, so that was good, and I found out a bunch of other things about my phone that I didn't know, including that every app I've ever used was still running on it, and I found out how to close them. So that was good, too. We couldn't solve my wi-fi problem, though, until I finally power failed the router - duh! - and that was the problem. So I probably won't have to use tech support again, but it's nice to know it's there. and My Verizon, which had somehow gotten deleted, is there, too, which is also nice. It only took almost two hours. They have what amounts to an insurance policy that covers all one's devices, even if they're not from Verizon, which I wish I could afford, but unfortunately, it's $20 or $25 a month and I just can't afford that. It's nice to know about, though, if I should ever get any money.


So that took up most of the evening. I got to embroider a little while the talking was going on, but not a lot, because the cat was on my lap and he didn't want to leave until I had an accident.


The weather was pretty. The high temperature was only 22, and there was a brisk wind with gusts up to 28 mph, but it was mostly sunny and quite clear at sunset. The sun has moved back into camera range, by the way, although it's still quite a way south. And the days are 10 hours long now. Oh, spring will come eventually.


The guys were sleepy. Louie got his loving after I got up, and Grayson spent most of the afternoon asleep on my lap - I guess we've settled our differences - but he didn't want to get up until I had to make him, so I didn't get to embroider as much as I wanted to. And he was under the computer desk again, but he hasn't so far been twining around my legs, which is what zaps the keyboard. I have the space heater pointing right at that corner, so I suppose it's warmer under there.


It's cold around here, especially at the south end, and while my space heater isn't dead, it's clearly dying, or at least the fan is dying. I did a little more research, though, and Walmart has a much better selection of the kind of space heater I need at much better prices than Amazon's, so I will have to see if I can get a new one. However, I have some household things I need, and the cat food situation is getting dire, as well as the situation with my countertop oven, so it may be a while before I can get anything else. 


Well, that was my day, and now it's a very cold, clear night in the field.


February 19

I was so upset last night that I inverted. It was probably just as well that I sat here and read, because I was so upset that I probably wouldn't have slept anyway, but it meant that I got up late and I didn't have a lot of time to do much. So far it was a better day, though.


The task of the day was the bulletins. For the next six weeks, there will be two a week, and then there will be Holy Week. The one for Ash Wednesday was particularly difficult because we wanted it on a half sheet and Pastor spelled out the entire order of service, but I managed to get it on two sides of a half sheet. It took some work, though. The rest shouldn't be so bad.


The other task I set myself was to try to get as much as I could remember of the stuff that got deleted last night back into the story. I know the critical scene is just about the same, because I've been thinking about that so long that I had it memorized, but the action leading up to it is all different, because I was just writing what occurred to me and not paying attention. I guess it's all right - I haven't read it yet - but I know it's not the same. At least it's done and I've saved it for sure, unless the whole file gets deleted (shudder!!). Word says it's saving something every 10 minutes or so, but I have no clue what it is, because every time I really needed a backup, there was none. Of course, last night everything was so screwed up that it panicked me and I now realize there were better ways to have handled my problem. Maybe next time, but every time I've had one of these glitches, it's been different. Well, live and learn.


It was a very cold, windy day in the field and it snowed pretty much all day, until around 6:00 PM. The high temperature was 15 at midnight and it got down to 9 at noon before it recovered a bit - to 14. The wind has been from the north at around 20 mph with gusts as high as 31 mph. Of course, that puts the wind chill well below 0. It was mostly dark and dreary.


I didn't see much of the cats. Louie has undoubtedly been hanging out at the north end, where it's warmer, and Grayson has clearly been aware that he did something really bad last night. He did want my dinner, but otherwise, he's been staying out of my way. He tried once to go under the desk, but I screeched at him and he ran away. I understand him well enough to forgive him, so maybe we can get back together tomorrow.


So that was my truncated day. I should wash my hair, but I think I will do it tomorrow, like I have been lately. Now it's a frigid, windy, snowy night in the field and a good one to hunker down and sleep long and hard.


February 18

This has turned out not to be a good day.


I wasn't too late last night, but I just did not want to get up this morning, so it was after noon when i finally got up. So I missed a phone call from my old pastor. Sigh.


I have been thinking about one of the stories I'm working on, and I started writing around 7:00 PM. There was a scene I've been thinking about for some time, but it took a lot of preparation to get to it, so by around midnight, I had written around 4100 words. Good words. I read them over several times and they were good.


In the meantime, I discovered that the inner pot of my rice cooker has been bent out of shape and it won't cook anymore. I dropped it a while ago, and when I went to use it the last time, it didn't fit down in the outside correctly so I couldn't close the lid completely. So today, I decided to take my little mallet and even out the two places I knew were raised. How the bottom got raised by dropping the whole pot, I do not know. Then I went crazy and tried to smooth the entire bottom, and from the looks of it, I pushed it in far enough that it won't make contact with the heating element. I will try (tomorrow!) to fix that, but I think I'm going to have to get a new liner. Not the whole appliance, just the inner pot. I hope I can get one.


So I was writing away when Grayson came in. There is something about him, when he walks under the computer desk, he zaps my keyboard. Unfortunately, when he walked in, I had just highlighted everything I wrote today to see how many words there were, and both the keyboard and the mouse went crazy. Before I could do anything, everything I wrote was deleted - and it's gone. Completely gone. So was a lot of other stuff, and before I finally got it shut down (I thought) I was trying to open document 21! 


In the meantime, the keyboard was so screwed up that I couldn't do anything, so I decided to try to reboot to see if I could fix it. It took forever to shut down and forever to come up, and then it tried to start both Windows Mail and Word, and Word was still screwed up. So I clicked "Shut Down" instead of "Restart" and I think I have it back in one piece, but my writing is gone.


Then, right after I started this, Grayson came back and got under the desk and zapped the keyboard again, although not as badly, and I had a horrible time getting out of there. It must have something to do with the static electricity in his coat, but it drives me nutty.


The weather was better ignored. The temperature started at 30 at midnight and it had fallen to 15 at midnight. It was windy; the wind was from the north in the 20-25 mph range, with gusts as high as 37 mph. It was dark and dreary and we had several snow squalls.


Other than Grayson and the computer, they both slept, various places, except that he made like a vulture when I was eating. I don't know what I'm going to do with that cat.


So that was a lousy day, and now it's late again, but I'm not through trying to put my computer back together again. It seems obvious that some of the problems Microsoft caused with Windows 7 are already in my system, and I've been reluctant to install the last three updates, for fear I'll make things worse. I have determined that I do not want to go to Office 365, because those programs are stored in the cloud, which means that when my internet connection is down, I can't do any work. And with the way they've screwed up the updates, I'm terrified of Windows 10. So I will stand pat. There are some rumblings that people want to keep Windows 7 alive without Microsoft, so I'll just have to hope and put my trust in Norton.


Now it's a late, cold, dark night in the field.


February 17

I was reading, mostly, last night and I completely lost track of time, so it was very late when I finally got to bed. I got up around 11:00, but I didn't get enough sleep and I don't feel good.


I was playing with the phone when it rang. It does that so seldom that I hardly realized what had happened, but when I tried to answer it, I couldn't hear, so I hung up and it rang again. It was Debbie and she was in a panic. It seems that the clinic had called her because my land line had been busy since last Thursday and they were worried about me. They decided to call her before they called the Sheriff, Debbie is very resourceful, and since she knows my cell number, she called me on it and determined that I'm OK before she called the clinic back.


In the meantime, I was trying to figure out why my land line was showing busy. I tried the phone in the bathroom, which is a cordless one, and yes, indeed there was an open line. I thought it was probably either the phone by my bed or the one in the kitchen, both of which don't sit in their cradles very well. However, when I tried to turn it off, it wouldn't turn. I pushed all the buttons, but it didn't finally turn off until I got it in a dead zone and it lost contact with the answering machine, which is at the other end of the house. Then, a while later, I checked the phone in the bedroom and it was fine. So was the one in the bathroom, so I called the clinic back.


I think they panicked, but I was glad they did. I get so few phone calls anyway that I didn't notice I hadn't gotten any since Thursday, although I was muttering because the clinic hadn't called me back. As Debbie pointed out, it's nice to know the system works well. I was sorry to give her a scare, but I didn't know about it either until she called me.


She called back this evening and we had a nice conversation, although I cut it short because there was something I wanted to listen to on the radio. It seems like she will be coming up on my birthday, although she probably won't be here in time to celebrate it. It will be nice to see her again.


I don't know what the problem with the phone was, but after this, when I turn it off after a call, I'm going to have to check it to make sure it's really off. I don't give very many people my cell number, so my land line has to be available.


So that was the excitement of the day. 


I embroidered all the time the talking was going on, so I got four hours in, and I finished the third tier of charts. Now I'm 75% done, more or less, and the next time I embroider, I will start the bottom four charts. That is sort of a hodge-podge of bushes, medallions and letters, and I will have to finish the border all around. It seems I've been working on this thing for a long time, but it's a big project. It still surprises me that I haven't gotten bored with it, but there are enough strange little motifs to make it interesting.


The weather was nondescript. The high temperature was 32 and there was a strong southwest wind that got up to 39 mph gusts this morning. It was cloudy, dull and gray all day, but nothing came down as far as I could see.


The guys slept someplace. Grayson didn't try to sit on me for some reason. Louie got his loving this morning. It still delights me when he curls up at my feet in the bathroom and purrs. I'm not doing anything for him except be there - and he purrs. Grayson will purr when I touch him but he doesn't usually do it otherwise. Grayson did want some of my dinner tonight.


I will probably regret it tomorrow, but I am so tired of fish and chicken that I hauled out a piece of steak tonight and made some of my baby potatoes. It probably wasn't the best steak, because it's been in the freezer for a while, but it tasted fine to me, and I do like those potatoes. So when I get a gout attack and run off at the bottom all day tomorrow, I'll probably regret it all, but it sure was nice for a change.


So now it's a cold, dark night in the field and maybe I can get to bed at a semi-reasonable hour?


February 16

I was too late last night and for no particular reason. I slept well, but I just did not want to get up until I almost had an accident. And then I sat for too long, so I didn't do much of anything. I got my hair washed, and I  washed the load of underwear, which is ready for the dryer. While I was in the laundry room, I rustled around a bit and I found the pair of compression hose I had lost. They were with a pair of warm season socks, so they've been buried for a while. I couldn't wash them today, because I didn't want to bleach them, but the next time I do bottoms, I will. It's a good thing. I have two socks that have serious runs in them, so they don't compress as well as they used to, so I need that fourth pair.


I just had a sneezing fit, so I'm not over that, either, and I still feel lousy.


The weather was nondescript, although we did have a little a little snow around 2:00 PM.  The high temperature was only 14, but it was around 12 for most of the day. There was some wind this morning, which died down in the afternoon, but it was cold outside. it was cloudy and dark and dreary.


The guys slept. They got some of their favorite canned food today, but more like dinner than breakfast. Grayson tried to sit on me just a while ago, but he wasn't around when I could have had him on my lap. Louie had a tummy ache, and I think he gave up a hairball sometime this afternoon. I hope that helped him.


So that was my day, and now it's a frigid, dark night in the field.


February 15

Okay, now I've heard Beethoven's Triple Concerto, so I can go to bed. I was going to try to go to bed early, and clean, but it isn't going to be early and I think I will do the clean thing tomorrow, like I did the last time. It seems easier earlier in the day.


I did get to bed around midnight last night, and I slept well, although I was up several times, and I had to rush a couple of times to get there before I had an accident. Sometimes having those hot flashes wake me up is a good thing.


I got up around 10:00 and I knitted on the new sock. I finished the ribbing and did a row or two on the leg. This yarn is weird. It alternates almost solid stripes of medium blue with a couple of blotches of black with a wide stripe of white, royal blue and black that is all mixed up. I don't yet know what it will finally come out looking like. That's one reason I keep knitting these things - surely I have enough socks! - because I want to see how the pattern will come out. This one doesn't feel as soft as some others I've knitted, but maybe when it's washed and rinsed in fabric softener, it will soften up some. Most of my socks have.


That was about all I did. I ended up spending most of the day in the bathroom. I had to sit down twice before I got dressed, and then after breakfast, when I got to the powder room, I had to sit down three times before I could finally go away. At least I haven't had an accident yet today.


I washed the load of bottoms that has been building up in the washer. All my sweats were dirty, as well as several pairs of jeans and a whole bunch of underpants. I have to wash a load of underwear, too, but I'll do that tomorrow. It's taken me quite a while to get the new bottle of soap into the laundry room. It's a big bottle and it's heavy. I was wondering how I was going to horse it around, but it turns out they'd thought about that and the directions were on the side. You tip it up on one narrow end, where the spigot is, and push a red button and the soap comes out! Wow! From now on, that's what I'm going to buy. It's cheaper by the ounce anyway, but I had always thought it would be too hard to handle that big bottle. it's not so heavy that I can't hoist it into the cupboard, it fits well enough that the doors close, and all I have to do is pull it out about two inches and I can dispense as much soap as I want. I love it when I find something that works so easily.


The weather was about the same. IT started snowing around 9:00 AM and it continued until around 1:30 PM. I don't think there was much accumulation. The temperature has risen all day, to a high of 31 at 10:00 PM. The wind has shifted aroudn to the northwest, and it is gusting up to 35 mph. it was cloudy and dull all day. 


It is extremely cold in the great room and the studio. It was around 58 when I got here this afternoon, and even running the space heater on high, it's only gotten to 68. I may have to break down and call the repair people. I don't know if I can stand this. Cold makes my arthritis much worse. The bathroom has been holding at around 72 (with the thermostat turned up as high as it will go) and it's warm in the bedroom and closet, so at least I can sleep in comfort. 


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me for most of the afternoon and he wanted to come back later, but I said enough, already. I am not his pillow. Louie has been hanging out in the bedroom, where it's warm. 


So that was another very quiet day and now it's a dark, cold very windy night in the field.


February 14

If you celebrate Valentine's Day, I hope you had a nice one. I still think that's another so-called holiday ginned up by the greeting card, candy and flower industries and I've always thought it was sort of dumb. St. Valentine was a martyr and i don't think romantic love had much to do with it.


Anyway, I actually got to bed before 1:00 AM last night and I slept fairly well. It was a bit cool at the north end, because of the temperature and the wind, but I managed to stay fairly warm. I got up around 10:00 and I cast on the new sock and knitted about four rows, I think. 


That was about all I did. I finally went out to the garage and got my package, which was buried in a snowbank. I'm afraid the ink may have frozen, but I'm letting it thaw out completely before I check it. I also discovered that my snow shovel has disappeared. I'm assuming Walter inadvertently put it in his truck when he was clearing out my driveway, but I need it. There is a bout a 12" drift in front of the garage that needs to be knocked down. Besides, it's my shovel, and it wasn't cheap.


Tomorrow I will have to wash a very large load of bottoms, so I finally got the laundry soap into the house, altnogh not into the laundry room yet. I had to buy a very large bottle of soap the last time, and I've been avoiding trying to use it, because it's heavy, but now I have to. At worst, I can pour some of it into the old bottles, although I'd rather not do that. Every time I have to pour soap of any kind from one bottle to another, I make a mess.


The weather was bifurcated.  It was cold and snowy until around noon, and then it cleared up completely and warmed up a little. The high temperature got to 20  late in the day, and the wind has shifted around to the southwest, although it's now gusting up to 38 mph. It was nice to see the sunshine and blue skies this afternoon. I guess the snow may be back for the weekend, but at least we've had a few hours. 


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me all during the talking, unfortunately, so I didn't get to do anything. When I was up at the north end, Louie was laid out on the floor in the bedroom, which is the warmer spot in this weather. He got some good canned food this morning, so he was happy.


So now it's a clear, cold night in the field, and I'll be off to the north end soon.


February 13

I inverted last night, for various reasons, but mostly I was reading and I wanted to finish that story. I managed to get around seven hours' sleep, but I'm tired and I don't expect to be that late tonight. Besides, I haven't decided what to read next, and if I start writing on the story I've been thinking about, I'll never get to sleep.


I didn't do much. i finished the crazy sock, so now I have a new pair of light-weight wool socks to wear when the weather warms a bit. I took my bath in the middle of the afternoon, which turned out to be a good thing. I'm stronger and my joints aren't as sore early in the day as they are at night. 


I decided to bail out of the appointment I had tomorrow. It was just a check-in, and it's not going to be nice out. Besides, my head still hurts and I'm still dripping, so better I stay home. Of course, the airheads in the oncology department haven't called me back, so now I will have to beat on them to get a rescheduled appointment, but I more or less expected that.


The weather was snowy and frigid. The "high" temperature for the day was 7 and it has been snowing lightly all day. The wind has shifted to the north and it has moderated some, but the gusts have been as high as 25 mph. The snow was clearly lake effect and it came in bands, so we had a few peeks of sunshine in between showers.


The guys slept, of course. Louie got his loving this morning, although I think he was confused when I took my shower. Grayson got to sleep on me while the talking was going on, which I wish he wouldn't, since I would like to either embroider or cast on a new sock, but oh, well. He also thought he wanted some of my dinner, which he did not get. I only make enough for me, but I've offered him enough of those things to know he wouldn't eat them anyway. So he made like a vulture all the time I was eating, which I find annoying. It was nice to have him on my lap, though. The temperature here was 60 when I got here, and it has only now gotten up to 68, so it was nice to have a warm cat to bury my fingers in.


So that was another quiet day and now it's a frigid, snowy night in the field. And I'm going to bed. Really. Even though they are going to play Sibelius.


February 12

Late, as usual, but I got enough sleep, and the rest of day was lost. I am still sick. Earlier I didn't feel so bad, but then I started sneezing, and now I feel lousy again. I'm toying with the idea of canceling my appointment with the oncology department on Friday. I just do not feel good at all. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.


The weather isn't helping. It has been snowing lightly all day. The temperature got up to 30 this morning, but then it began to drop, and at midnight it was 6. The wind has been strong from the northeast, with gusts up to 40 mph, so the wind chill is now -15. It's cold outside.


The guys were sleepy. Grayson got to sleep on me for quite a while, but when he tried to come back up on the counter, he had a problem and all I heard was a crash - I don't know what he pulled on the floor, but I doubt I'll be very happy with it. Louie actually came down to be closer to me, but he took up residence under a chair on top of a wad of tissue paper. I suppose being under something concentrates the heat a little more.


So that's all there is, and now it's a frigid (!), snowy night in the field.


February 11

Almost forgot again.


I was late last night. i am going to have to stop reading that Google Discover stuff or I won't do anything else. I did get nearly 10 hours' sleep, which was good, but it meant I got up late, and then there was Google again... I must stop that.


Otherwise, I didn't do much except the bulletin, but that usually isn't much of a job anymore. There were four people to add to the prayer list, but this time of year is hard on us old people, especially if we have any serious health problems. I hope I can get to church on Sunday - it's my favorite service and I really want to go, but we'll see how it goes.


The weather is beginning to change. It was partly sunny for most of the day and the high temperature was 32, but the wind was strong, with gusts up to 32 mph from the northwest overnight. The snow is now supposed to start tomorrow, not tonight, but it's still gusty out there.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me for a long time and Louie is up at the north end.


So there isn't much to report and now it's apparently a partly cloudy, cold, windy night in the field.


February 10

So I was late again last night. I think it was because i was reading. Tonight is going to be different. Really. I'm tired and I'm sick. I really do have another sinus thing. It's not as bad as the one last fall, but It's enough to make me feel lousy. 


I managed to get dressed and eat before I ran off to the post office with my taxes, and I stopped at the store, because my extension cords came. I got a few things to eat, too. I'm going to try to go to town tomorrow, but there is some suggestion that it might snow, so we'll see how that goes. If I feel like I do today, I won't go. I can't wait until Friday for financial reasons, so we'll see how it goes.


Debbie called tonight and we called until my phone battery died. This is the land line, and I think the battery is going. It used to last longer, although we talked for over 2 hours, like we always do. She is going to get an orphaned kitty, and she sent me a picture on my cell phone of a beautiful gray cat. I love gray cats. And white cats. And calico cats...But my two first cats were gray, so I have a special feeling for them.


The weather was actually rather nice for this time of year. The high temperature was 32 and there was almost no wind. It was cloudy this morning, but it began to clear up around 1:00 PM and there was a lot of sunshine until late in the day. The humidity actually got down under 60%, too, so I don't hurt as much. 


The guys slept. Grayson didn't get any lap time because I was busy when he came around. He could have sat on me all the time I was talking to Debbie, but he wasn't around then. Louie is up at the north end, of course.


I have a thing I want to share with you. I really want to publish some of my stories - all of them if I can - but I don't take rejection well, so I've given up the idea of trying to place them with a literary agent. The alternative is to self-publish, and I think I've found a reputable company to do that. The thing is, I don't have the money to do it - or anything else - so I'm thinking of trying to raise it from one of the money-raising websites. I don't know if it will work, and I have some research to do, but I'd like to try. I think - without having costed it out - that it would probably take at least $5000 and maybe more, but the company would take care of placing my books with the big online sellers, for starters. I think I have some ideas that other science fiction writers don't and I think I write fairly well. We'll see what happens.


So now it's a cold, dark night in the field and I'll be off to bed as soon as the Mendelssohn is over. Really.


February 9

Oh, I was ridiculously late last night. I don't know why I do that, but I was reading again. Tonight will be earlier.


I didn't get up until noon and instead of knitting, I filled the north end pill dispensers, and then I read some stuff on my phone. Google has this thing they call Discover that has links to articles they think might interest me. I can't get them to stop showing stuff about sports (I used to be interested in sports - 40 years ago - but no more), but there have been some interesting things lately, including a warning that Microsoft screwed up Windows 7, I suspect on the last update they put out, which I haven't installed yet. And every time they put out updates to Windows 10, they screw something up there, too. Makes me wish I could use Linux.


Anyway, I was late eating, but I got all that done and I did my surfing, and then I filled the pill dispensers at the south end, which I didn't last month. It's so much easier if all I have to do is pour out the right handful of pills. So I'm set for the next four weeks. Besides, the pill bottles have been on top of the printer and I need to be able to get to that.


The weather was totally nondescript. The temperature was steady at 24 and there was almost no wind. The humidity was around 75%, which is lower than it has been lately, so I didn't hurt quite as much. It was very dark and dreary, and there seemed to be some haze down the harbor at times, but I don't think there was any snow here.


The guys slept. They were very patient with me. They had eaten every last crumb out of their dishes, but they didn't fuss very much and they seemed happy when I filled all the bowls. I'm getting down to the end of the kibble bags, so I will have to do something about that next month. Louie was trying to eat a plastic bag when I got to the kitchen, but I wonder if that wasn't just to tell me how hungry he was. Grayson didn't get to sit on me until just a little while ago, because I was doing other things. 


So that was a very quiet day, and I am planning to get to bed much earlier tonight. Wish me luck. It's a cold, dark night in the field.


February 8

Oops, forgot. Sorry. I hope eventually I can get the laptop running again and get some remote desktop software again so I can do things like the journal when I'm up at the north end. In the summer, I can come back down here, but it's too cold at this end of the house to go wandering around with no clothes on. Besides, I was late.


So I was late getting up and late eating and I'm late now, much too late to go to church tomorrow, unfortunately. I don't feel good, either. I've got my virus again and frankly, I feel lousy.


The only thing I did yesterday was get my Schwan's order. The driver was so early, I was still sitting in the bathroom in my nightie when he called. It seems like I can go from nightie to washed and dressed in 20 minutes, which is pretty good, I think.


Oh, and I called to raid the IRA so I can pay my taxes, and I think finally they have everything the way I want it. It only took six weeks...


Today I did even less, but i was late getting up. I knitted three rows on the shawl yesterday and three more today, and I am now officially halfway through the center part. I hope the second half doesn't take as long as this has.


The weather has been nondescript, mostly. We had light lake effect snow for most of the afternoon yesterday, but there was even some sunshine today. Yesterday's high was officially 24, but that was around midnight and the temperature fell off all day, to a low of 12 between 2:00 and 6:00 AM today. Yesterday the wind was mostly from the northeast, with gusts up to 28 mph, but today it had shifted around to the southwest, although it was mostly calm. Yesterday was dark and cloudy, but there was some sunshine between noon and 2:00 PM before it clouded up again. The moon is full and it's so bright it looks almost like dawn is breaking.


The guys slept. Nothing to report there, except that it appears that Grayson went off with the pieces of toast I had left from my breakfast. At least they're gone, and I can't find them. There also appears to be a mouse tail on the floor in the kitchen, but I'm not about to pick it up and inspect it. I find one of those every so often...


So that's been a very quiet two days and now it's a cloudy night in the field but it's not very dark with that lovely moon up above the clouds.


February 6

I was a bit later last night - half an hour or so - but I slept well. I didn't get up until around 11:30, I think, because I spent almost an hour around 9:00 dribbling off and reading Google headlines. I find them addictive, although most of them are dumb. Even though they know my address, they don't keep changes I make and when I log into my account (which I rarely do, because I don't trust Google) I don't get those nice things they call "cards." I don't know why.


Anyway, I knitted four rows and then I played Solitaire before I washed my face and brushed my teeth, and then I had to sit down again to dribble off some more. The jolt I got from all my probiotics and the psyllium seems to have worn off. Or maybe it's cyclic, which I've always suspected.


Anyway, I was so late that I didn't do much but my surfing. I did get to embroider for about an hour on a smaller circle, but I didn't make a lot of progress. Slowly, I'm closing in on the last page of the third row of charts. I'm still finding this an interesting project, mostly because it's sometimes difficult to see how to stitch it while using the least amount of thread.


The other thing I did was to finally sort out all the mail that had piled up on the computer desk. I didn't do a lot but sort, but I think I have the tax stuff together and the credit card and utility bills separated. I needed to find my tax bill, because it's due on the 14th, and I had to do some figuring to decide how much I have to withdraw from my IRA to pay it. It's a lot. There's not a lot in my IRA. I'm trusting the Lord will provide for the future. Anyway, I will get that underway tomorrow.


The weather was nondescript and there was even a couple peeks of sunshine around noon, but around 4:00 PM we had a period of light snow that lasted almost until dark. It didn't snow hard, and there didn't seem to be much accumulation, but there will probably be more tonight and tomorrow. The high temperature was 33 and around 3:00 PM, the wind shifted around to the east and there were gusts up to 25 mph. As the day wore on, it got very dark and dreary.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me for a little while, but I had to run up to the north end and when I finally got back to the studio, I wanted to knit, so he didn't get to come back. I am not his pillow, and I still haven't convinced him of that. Louie slept up at the north end. When I got up, he was lying in the doorway to the bathroom, half in and half out. I haven't figured out how they decide where to sleep next. I know they sleep on the floor in the bedroom because it's warm, but they also like the rugs in the bathroom.


So that was another very quiet day and now it's a dark, cold, and probably snowy night in the field.


February 5

For the first time in a long time, I got to bed just after 1:00 AM. I'd like to do that again, but I'm thinking about washing my hair - time to get back on schedule - and I don't know. It was nice. I got up around 10:30. I knitted two rows, with difficulty. Sometimes I have an easier time starting out than others, and I've made a lot of mistakes in this one. I think it's because the yarn is so dark that I can't see the stitches, except by looking through them to the white page behind, and that doesn't always work. Oh, well, Nobody but me will ever know.


I also knitted on the sock a bit, when I had to go up to the north end, and I only have 12 more rows to go on the foot before I start the toe. It's taken me a very long time to do these socks. They're on #1 needles (2.25mm) and there are a lot of stitches. My next socks will be on #2s (2.75mm). That doesn't sound like a lot of difference, but it makes a big difference in the knitting. I think there's a ball of blue, white and black yarn on the floor that will work.


That was all I did, because I was later than I intended to be. 


The weather was lovely, for a change. The clouds went away by 9:00 AM, and the rest of the day was clear and blue. It was so nice to see all that clear, blue sky! The high temperature was (is) 36, which was quite a change, since at 8:00 AM, it was 15. There was a moderate wind this morning that started out from the west, but it died down to nearly nothing by tonight. 


The sun has moved back north enough to shine in the front windows, which means that for the next few months, I'm going to have a hard time working on my cross stitch during the talking. It's just barely there now, and as long as it's cloudy I'm fine, but I hope there will be more clear weather. Not for the next few days, though. They're predicting snow from tonight through Friday.


The guys were sleepy, of course, and Grayson didn't try very hard to sit on me, so when I had to jump up and run away, he just thumped on the floor. While I was embroidering, he did urp on the floor under the computer desk - why there, I don't know - and he made like a vulture while I was eating, but he didn't try to sit on me again. I haven't seen Louie lately.


So that was my quiet day and now it's a clear (so far) cold night in the field.


February 4

I just about inverted last night, but that was because I finally took my bath and that always takes a while, plus the dribbling before and after. I slept well, but not nearly long enough. I am going to try - again - to get my schedule under control, and it ought to be easy, because I'm really tired. We'll see how it goes. They're playing Tchaikovsky.


I knitted a couple of rows on the shawl, and I should have done a couple more, but I just fooled around. instead. And I didn't do much but my surfing when I got to the studio I couldn't embroider, because I had a cat asleep on my lap all during the talking. 


One weird thing happened. Apparently someone has gotten both my land line phone number and my cell number, because I got two calls on my cell phone this evening that said they are from my land line - and I wasn't anywhere near the phone, let alone calling my cell phone. Things like this really annoy me, and I must try to remember to check my land line bill next month to see if I got charged for them. Since I got the smartphone and it works here, I've been doing all my long-distance (and toll) calling from it, since I don't have to pay extra. Not that I use the phone for anything very much. Mostly all I get are wrong numbers or scam calls and occasionally I do a bit of texting. It's convenient to use for two factor authentication, because frequently when the place that wants to use it sends an email, it can take hours - as many as 3 or 4 - to get to me. So I've been spoofed again. It's weird.


The weather has turned cold. The temperature was nearly steady all day, at 18. and there was a strong north wind, with gusts up to 35 mph. It was mostly cloudy, although the sun peeked through a couple of times early in the afternoon. The humidity has been down a bit, too, which was nice.


The guys slept, I guess. Grayson slept on me all through the talking, and I haven't seen Louie since I had to go up to the north end after breakfast.


Now it's a dark, cloudy night in the field, but the temperature is going up a bit.


February 3

So far, I seem to be on track to get to bed at a more reasonable hour tonight. It was not reasonable last night. I inverted. When I got up to the north end, late as usual, every time I thought I might be able to get up and do something, I dribbled off some more. I was late anyway, but by the time it finally stopped, it was morning already. Sigh.


So I was late getting up. Then I discovered that someone from the company that holds my IRA had called me on my cell phone (!). I don't even know how they got that number; I don't remember ever telling them. And it seemed there was some problem with the second form I sent them. After I ate, I called them, and I ended up on hold for ah hour and a half! They had an excuse - one of their call centers was shut today because of the weather - but still. And it seems I just neglected to check one box... Thankfully, the guy I talked to was able to do that for me, but still. This has not made me feel any better about those people. Well, there's not much left in my IRA anyway, so I won't have to worry about them for very much longer.


While I was waiting and after I got done, I put together the bulletin. Pastor very kindly sent the information last night, so we're early this week. And as far as I know now, only late-breaking news would make me have to do any changes. 


In the course of doing that, i discovered a strange problem with Google. Some time ago, I found a black-and-white graphic of St. Paul's shield. I have to use black-and-white images, because we don't have a color printer. I would like to have put it on the back page of the bulletin, but I didn't want to do that unless I could also put St. John's shield there, too. St. John's (our sister congregation) is very touchy about being the smaller church. Well, as far as I was able to discover, there is no image on the internet of St. John's shield (whatever that is). There's all sorts of stuff about St. John and all sorts of stuff about shields, but nothing even relevant came up when I put the two together. Weird. I've gone on some searches that weren't very useful, but this is the first one that came up with nothing. I may bang away at it some more, but it doesn't seem like I'll find anything.


The weather was nondescript again. The high temperature was 34, but that was this morning, and it's been dropping very slowly all day. There was a moderate north wind, with gusts up to 29 mph. It wasn't quite as humid today, so my joints felt better. It was mostly cloudy all day, although we had a rather nice red and gray sunset which, unfortunately, the camera didn't do it justice. It was gone before I could take any other pictures of it, but it was nice to look at. The camera is good in high-light conditions, but I guess it must determine its shutter speed by averaging, so things like a nice red and gray sunset gets washed out.


The guys slept, mostly. Grayson came and sat on me just as I was about to get up and go to the powder room, so of course I had an accident, the first in several days. Louie was still up in the bathroom when I got there, but he wasn't asleep.


So that was my quiet and truncated day, and it's a cold (and getting colder), dark night in the field.


February 2

Today is 02/02/2020 - the first palindromic date in 909 years (that one would apparently have been 11/11/1111, if anybody was noticing). Kind of neat. They didn't say when the next one will be, but they obviously don't happen often. Oh - I guess 12/02/2021 is one, too, but then it may be a long time before the next one. I love these little numerology tidbits.


i was so late and so tired that I didn't wash my hair last night, so I guess I have to do it tonight. The way my schedule is now, it would be better if I could take my bath during the day, but I just cannot get used to doing that. I've always taken my bath before I went to bed - for nearly 60 years - and it's hard to change a habit of that long standing.


Anyway, It was snowing when I finally got to bed, so there was no question that I wasn't going anywhere today. The camera never woke up this morning, for some reason, but it evidently snowed or sleeted or something almost all day, and it didn't stop until around 5:00 PM. It was horribly humid, too, and I had a lot of trouble with my joints. The high temperature was 36 and there was a strong north wind, with gusts up to 38 mph, It was very dark and dreary.


The guys slept. They got their favorite canned food today, so they were happy, and i filled the kibble bowls, too. Grayson sat on me for a long time, although he didn't really sleep. I think Louie is up at the north end, as usual.


I seem to have the Shari Syndrome again. I was sneezing last night, and I have a headache, a scratchy throat and a runny nose, as well as a sort of rocky tummy - the classic symptoms. I wish I knew how this thing works, but it seems to come and go all winter long. It's something I've had for most of my adult life, and it got old a long time ago. So I don't feel good. I need to get to bed a lot earlier than I will be tonight, so I can sleep for ten hours or more...


Now it's a cold (but not very cold) dark night in the field and I must go to bed.'


February 1

So I inverted last night and I'm probably going to do the same tonight. The weather isn't supposed to be good, so I have an excuse.


I didn't do anything much today except read.


The weather was sort of nondescript again. The high temperature was 34, and during the day, there was a strong northwest wind, with gusts up to 35 mph. It was partly to mostly cloudy. There was a little sunshine, and the camera caught a few patches of blue sky, but mostly it was dull and gray, as usual. I really wish we'd have a clear night, just so I could see Betelgeuse.


Well, we've made it through January, so we're halfway through winter - or I hope so! Our days are now a bit more then 9 hours long - we've gained an hour - and officially, we've had 215" of snow so far. The warm days have exceeded the cold days by a lot so far this winter. 


The guys slept, of course. Grayson got to sleep on me for a while and I think Louie is up at the north end, although I did surprise him in the kitchen, eating kibble.


So it was another nothing day, and it's a cold, dark night in the field.


Last  updated 03/02/21 01:17 AM

Copyright S. I. Smith, 2000-2019