A View From the Field








October, 2016

October 31 -Reformation Day

I've written before about my feelings about Halloween.


Oh, I was so late last night and I'm so late tonight! 


I slept well last night and I got up around 11:30. I knitted my two rows, and I'm making progress. Let's see...14 rows, two rows a day...another week, maybe? I hope. Around this time, I get really tired of a project, but it's too far along to abandon.


I called the drain guys and a nice young man came out and found two things, both of which are going to cost me money. The blockage in the drain is not in the trap. And my disposal has finally broken. When he opened the cabinet doors, the dishpan I keep under the disposal was full right up to the top, and when he fiddled with it, more water came out. It seems to be leaking from the bottom, so it really is broken. He will be back sometime, tomorrow or Wednesday, with a snake and a new disposal. Sigh. Every time I finally think I'm making some headway on my financial troubles, something like this happens.


I did have a discussion with the guy who helped me a couple of years ago, and he doesn't think I need to have the septic tank pumped this fall. I hope he's right. I can't find anything in my written records that says when I had the last problems, so I will have to search through the journals to try to find out. I think it was two years ago, but I'm not sure. That was traumatic enough that I don't want it to happen again.


The weather was sort of nice, although I didn't go out. The high temperature was 53, and it was around that for most of the afternoon. It did get windy, though, with south winds gusting up to 33 mph. It was sort of partly cloudy, although there was some sunshine. 


The guys slept, of course. Grayson got some lap time, and so did Louie, but not much.


So that was another slow day. In a couple of days I should have a new disposal, a reamed out drain, and that will be back in shape. The turntable in my microwave has quit. All it does is grind, and it doesn't turn. I haven't had time to fiddle with it much, but it's an annoyance. I like that turntable.


Now it's a cloudy, warmish night in the field and I really must go to bed!


October 30 - Reformation Day Observed

I made it into bed by 10:00 last night and I slept well, at least until about 5:30, but then I had to get up. When I got back in bed, something - probably a mouse - was running around and it was so noisy in the bedroom that I couldn't go back to sleep. When I got up, the rug was over in the middle of the floor. Hmm.


I was a bit late getting away, but it was partly because I had to make a fast trip to the powder room and I was late finishing my funnies. It didn't matter much.


We celebrated Reformation Day today, with Pastor Neider and communion - and the wonderful news that the pastor we called has accepted our call! We've made do very well over the summer, but it will be good to have our very own shepherd again. The installation service will be on November 20, and his first service with us will be Thanksgiving Eve. That made everybody much more cheerful.


I had to get gas, and when I got home, I went into zombie mode and I had a hard time getting myself out of it, so I didn't do anything I should have done. Sigh. Even go to the bathroom. Sigh.


The weather was nondescript again. It was cloudy all day, and I was drizzled on on the way to church. The temperature was about steady at 45 until about 6:00, when it began to drop off. There wasn't much wind. The only good thing was, it wasn't exceptionally humid - in the 70% range, mostly. 


The guys slept. Grayson wanted to sleep on me all day. Louie only tried to sit on me once, but I had something to do, so I had to push him off. 


So that was it. It's a cold night in the field tonight.


October 29

Short entry tonight; it was a short day. I lost a couple of hours on the way to bed last night, so it was late when I got to bed and late when I got up. I was up around 8:30, but that was way too early, so I went back to bed, and it was 12:30 before I got up. Then I knitted for an hour and a half and diddled around. 


However, I did a couple of things. I washed a load of bottoms; I had soiled four pairs of bottoms in four days, so I was running out of stuff to wear. And I bagged up two bags of papers that were on the floor in the powder room. I'm not done there yet, and I don't know what I'll do with the bags, but at least that much is done. I didn't touch the kitchen and the drain is still plugged, maybe even more. I found it isn't possible to just pump out the dishwasher.


The weather was better off ignored, so I did. It was around 50 overnight, but then the temperature went down and it was 44 all afternoon. It was quite windy overnight, with gusts up to 29 mph, but the wind died down, too, and it's been calm for several hours. It was dark and cloudy and dull all day.


Grayson slept on my lap all afternoon, after I ate, and he wanted to get back on it when I came back with my dinner. I didn't see much of Louie after this morning, so I'm sure he was sleeping, too.


Now it's time to trundle up to the north end and try to get to bed at a reasonable hour for once. It's a dark, cloudy night in the field.


October 28

Well, I wasn't early last night, but it was only about 1:30 when I got to bed. I slept well, except when I tried to sleep on my left side for the first time. That shoulder is difficult, and I finally turned over when I started getting shooting pains down the middle two fingers of my hand. Curiously, the next time I was up, I tried it again, and it was much better. I don't know why.


Anyway, I think I got up around 10:30, but I'm not sure. I knitted, and got another two rows done. These are marginally faster, because there are only two beads in every repeat. 


I had to go to the post office and to the store, but of course, just as I was about to get ready to go, I had an accident (thanks, Grayson) so I was almost late. I did make it, though. There was a lot of mail, most of it to be tossed, but there was some reading material. I am amused by the campaigns waged by our two candidates for Representative. I got mailings from both of them, but each one only mentioned his opponent, negatively, of course. I will be SO happy on November 8!


That was about all I did except fiddle with the drain. I got some more drain cleaner, which didn't work, and one of my loyal readers (what would I do without you?) suggested I might try a plunger, and that didn't work either, in part because of the drain from the dishwasher. So this weekend I have to clean up the kitchen and on Monday, I have to get the drain guy out here. It still drains, slowly, but I can't put anything down the disposal, and I can't wash dishes, so it's somewhat urgent.


The weather was bad. The temperature has been rising all day, and it is now 50. There wasn't much wind until after 2:00, when it began to gust to about 22 mph from the southwest. Around 1:00 it started raining, and we had 0.16" before it stopped around 5:00, so I was out in it. It was dark and dismal and nasty, and it didn't do my joints any good at all.


The guys did what all good cats do in weather like this - they slept. Grayson slept on me as long as I would let him.


So now it's a dark, breezy night in the field, and I think I should go to bed.


October 27

So last night, I almost pulled an all-nighter. Since I got up around 11:30, I didn't get much sleep, so I expect to do good tonight.


I knitted, but I didn't do much else except my surfing. My kitchen drain is clogged. I poured a small bottle of Drano down it (in two batches), but it didn't do much of anything. I don't think much of Drano anyway. Liquid Plumber is better, but I can't get it around here. I can't have anybody in my kitchen right now, so I guess I'll just have to cope for a while...and try some more Drano. What a pain!


I went down to church early tonight, and Nancy, Barbara and I began to create a catalog of our choir music. We have quite a bit, and we only got about halfway through in two hours. Nancy and I brought our laptops and we're making an Excel spreadsheet out of it. I think another session will finish it. Then Nancy will consolidate our lists into one and print it for people who need paper. We found some good stuff, including enough to begin Advent. 


The weather was nondescript again. The temperature was almost steady again, around 45, and there wasn't any wind. It was gray and cloudy all day, but it didn't rain. Blah.


The color season is over. The winds this week have stripped most of the leaves, except for right around the lake (are we lucky, or what?). It was a lovely long season, but it was a very yellow one. Even my little maples, which usually show the most color, were just golden this year. But the color lasted a long time, and it was lovely, as usual. On my trip down Cliff Drive, I noticed that the tamaracks are all yellow now. They are such pretty trees; I wish I had the right conditions to grow them, but they need more moisture than I have here on my pebble pile. Now we can pass the baton to places further south and hunker down for the winter. Ron is trying to get the tractor fixed, so I guess that problem is under control.


The guys slept. Grayson got some lap time but not a lot. He did sleep under the toilet for most of the time I was knitting. Louie hasn't gotten his yet.


Now I have to get the laptop plugged in and charging. It's a cold, cloudy night in the field, but it's not windy and it's not raining (or worse).


October 26

Late again, both to get to bed and to get up. The knitting session was very long because of all the beads, and tomorrow's will be nearly as long. Now I only have 24 more rows to go. Of course, they are all between 400 and 500 stitches each, so it won't be fast, but I can see the end of the project. It's still a pretty thing and I will enjoy wearing it.


I didn't have time to do very much else. I did get the bulletin out and, I hope correctly, and I got the laptop about ready to take along tomorrow. I paid a couple of bills. Today was Social Security day, so I have money for a brief time.


The weather was blah again. It got cold overnight - down to 36 - but it didn't last long, and it was 44 all day. I'm not too sure that was valid, because there was a glitch in the weather station at 11:00, but it could be. There was a bit of wind this afternoon, with gusts up to 22 mph, and the wind has shifted to the south. It was very cloudy and dull all day. Blah. Typical fall weather, though.


The guys slept, as usual. Nothing to report there, either.


Now it's a cloudy, cold night in the field, and I have to wash my hair. Ugh.


October 25

Another late night, another late morning and another nothing day. Sigh. I knitted, and it was a long session, because I attached a new ball of yarn and it was horribly tangled. It probably still is, but at least I have it untangled to the point where I can pull it out. Tomorrow will be long, too, because it's one of the rows with four beads in each repeat - 132 beads now. However, on the brighter side, I only have 26 rows left to do, so another month and I'll be done. I'll block this one and wear it. It's so pretty!


This evening, I finally got around to doing the system updates on both computers. I will be taking the laptop with me on Thursday, to help try to get our music cataloged, and I wanted to be sure it is up to date. The laptop is still churning away. Norton wanted to optimize the disk, so I finally decided to let it, and it's still going. I guess if it isn't done when I go to bed, I'll just leave it. I have it set so that it doesn't go to sleep if the cord is plugged in. With as big as these disks are, and as little as I have stored on them, there really is no need to optimize them. But at least it will stop bugging me.


The weather was nondescript again. The temperature was 45 all night long, and it has gone down slowly ever since, to 37 now. The wind has died down, too. It wasn't too humid. It was mostly cloudy, although there was a little sunshine every so often. Blah.


The guys slept, mostly. They both got some lap time, although I had to move both of them for various reasons. Grayson wasn't very happy because the laptop is open, and he usually sits on it. Too bad. It doesn't happen very often.


So that was another lost day, and now it's a cold, cloudy night in the field. But they're playing Beethoven...


October 24

I zoned out again last night, so it was late when I finally got to bed, and I slept hard. I didn't get up until around 11:30, and then I knitted, with some difficulty, so I have been late all day and I don't have anything to report.


The weather was autumnal, but there was some sunshine. The temperature was nearly steady around 45. It was very windy overnight, with gusts up to 36 mph from the north (of course). It died down during the day, but it's picking up again. The dew point was nearly steady, too, so the humidity was around 63%, which is usually tolerable.


The guys slept, mostly. Louie had a coughing fit while I was knitting. I didn't know why, but when I got to the kitchen, I discovered that he'd been eating plastic again, rather than eat everything that was in his bowl and on the floor. They are happy now, because all the bowls are full. They have both decided they like the newest variety of kibble, so they were both trying to eat out of the same bowl, of course. We'll see how long that lasts. The last kind was the one Grayson tore a hole in the bag to get at, and now they'll hardly look at it until everything else is gone. They're strange little beasties. But then, they don't have much to do but sleep and eat. Grayson got a piece of my chicken tonight, but he only wanted one little piece, I think just to see if I'd give him some.


A very nice reader sent me an email with a good tip for getting my big pills to go down, but when I tried to reply to thank her, her email bounced. Sorry, Jean. I tried. Thanks for the idea.


Now it's a partly cloudy, cool night in the field.


October 23

I didn't make it into bed until nearly 11:00 last night and I didn't sleep well. It's another indication that I'm fighting some bug. The first time I had to get up, I looked at the clock and it was blinking. Oh, <expletive deleted>! 

When you're lying awake with a dismal headache, and repose is taboo'd by anxiety,
I conceive you may use any language you choose to indulge in, without impropriety;


Apparently there was a power glitch around 11:30, but as it turned out, it was just a glitch. So I had to get up, turn on the light, find the clock/calculator and set the bedroom clock and the alarm time before I could go back to bed. Not that it made much difference. My feet were cold, and I even put on my bed socks and that didn't help. I must have slept more than I thought, because I made it through the day without falling asleep, but still...


The Netgear gizmo didn't come up properly after the power glitch, but I got to the studio early enough that I was able to reset it before anybody noticed, I think. It has something to do with my being a relay point, but it is not a very good piece of gear, in my opinion. About every other power glitch, it fails to reboot and I have to reset it manually. That's fine, if I'm here and awake, but at least once Charlie had to call me about it.


I got to church just about when I wanted to, although I wish it had been five minutes earlier. It was nice, but John was mumbling again. Today I don't think it was my ears, because I could hear everything else just fine. We sang pretty good, except for a couple of entrances that were sort of weak.


Today I could come right home, and I did. They had cake and coffee for a couple who are celebrating their 60th (!) anniversary today, but I didn't stay.


I didn't do anything for the rest of the afternoon, although I did cook a bit. I tried a variation on an old recipe for chicken that I don't think I've had since my mother died - chicken baked with some sort of crumbs on it. We used to use cornflake crumbs, but I used Italian cracker crumbs, and it turned out pretty good. It was slightly overcooked, because I'm still guessing about cooking times in the counter-top convection oven, but it wasn't really dry, so I guess it was a success. Besides, I won't have to cook tomorrow and maybe not Wednesday, either.


The weather was lousy, frankly. The high temperature was 49, but that was early this morning. It was steady around 46 for the rest of the day. There was a bit of rain (0.10") around noon. Around 5:00 the wind started to rise and it is now gusting to 30 mph from the northeast. Not nice.


I have to say, I've been surprised that I haven't been creakier, but I started taking a larger dose of glucosamine this week, and that may be the difference. It wasn't so much that I thought I needed more, though. The one I had been taking was a humungous pill (not a capsule), and with my dry mouth, frequently it would lodge in my throat and even a lot of water wouldn't make it go down. The new one is a capsule, and when I looked to see what sizes were available, I thought I might as well try the larger dose. Maybe it's helping? I hope so. There were times over the past few months when my joints were getting intolerable.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me as much as I'd let him, but Louie got a little lap time, too. I guess Grayson feels all right again. He found a piece of plastic on the floor in the closet and batted it out into the bedroom, and he was skipping around pretty well. 


So that was my day, and now the lake is singing loudly, so it will sing me to sleep. It's a cold, dark, cloudy, windy night in the field.


October 22

Sorry for not posting last night's entry until this afternoon, and thanks, Phil, for pointing it out. My mind...


I think it was around midnight when I got to bed last night, although it could have been earlier. I forget. I slept well and very long. It was 11:30 before I finally rolled out. I was up around 8:30 and I just decided that was too early.


I knitted, and the two rows only took a little over an hour. There were only two beads per repeat, and that helped. Sometimes I'm less klutzy than other times, and that helped, too. It's getting big enough that I can see and feel what a difference all the beads is making in the heft and drape of the material. It's heavy for something in such fine yarn, and the drape is wonderful. I'm going to like this one.


I didn't do anything. I was so late that I only had time to do my surfing, and frankly, I don't feel so good. I'm afraid I'm fighting off a bug, or at least it feels like it. We'll see. It should shake out in the next couple of days. I even forgot to fill the pill dispensers until just now, and I have to do the north end ones when I get up there. I'm enjoying having the pills decoupled from the wash, which I won't have to do for another couple of weeks.


The weather was okay. It didn't get down to freezing last night - only 33 - and the high today was 52. There wasn't much wind. It was cloudy until around 1:00, when it began to clear, although I don't know exactly when, because the camera hung up. It was fairly clear during the afternoon, but it looked like it was clouding over at sunset. Not bad.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me a lot, but when I twitched, he moved. I don't know where Louie was until late in the afternoon, when he went to sleep on his scratching pad.


So that was a quiet day, and now it's a cool, cloudy night in the field and I need to go up to the north end right now!


October 21

I'm not quite sure when I got to bed this morning. It was either 2:30 or 3:30. I had a bit of a problem getting to sleep, because I was cold, but eventually I did, and I did well, although I was up several times. I got up around 11:30.


I knitted, and it only took me a little over an hour to do my two rows, because there were only two beads in ever repeat. Adding all those beads certainly does slow things down!


I didn't do a whole lot. I went to the post office, where there was some reading material, a bill, and several pleas for money. How I wish I could help them! Oh, well. I did when I could. My Schwan's order came, so I had to put that away, and while I was sitting down, I almost filled another orange bag - and that was only part of what's on the floor. Now I have four bags, and it will take at least another one to get rid of all the trash. This one is mainly full of empty boxes, so maybe I can squish it down some and get some more stuff in it. Now, what I will do with all the bags is another question.


I did get caught in that denial-of-service attack. While my websites loaded, albeit slowly, There were any number of emails that the pictures wouldn't load. Since I didn't know about the DOS, I even rebooted the computer. Evidently Microsoft was included, because I couldn't do anything about the updates i haven't loaded yet. Fortunately, all the emails were ads, some of them spam, so it was only a minor inconvenience.


It was another nondescript weather day. Again, the temperature was almost steady, around 44, although it's gone down below 40 now. We may get our first hard freeze tonight. There was almost no wind. The humidity went down to almost 60% for a while, although it's up again now. It was cloudy and dull for most of the day, except for one ray of sunshine right before sunset. Very blah.


The guys thought so, too, and they slept. I don't think Grayson feels very good. He coughed a little this morning, and he wanted to sleep on my lap all day. Louie is fine. He only tried once to sit on me, right as I was about to get up and do something, but he got some love this morning. Grayson's sleeping spot of choice when we are up at the north end is between the toilet and the wall in the bathroom. The floor is warm, of course, and Louie can't get at him there. I rarely know he's there until he starts rustling around on the empty plastic bag on the floor. Cats are weird, aren't they?


So that was my quiet day, and now it's a cold, cloudy night in the field.


October 20

I guess it was around 2:30 when I got to bed (or was it 3:30? I forget). I am happy to report that I had less trouble washing the back of my head, so my elbow is healing. I slept extremely hard, with only one wakeup, so I wasn't too tired when I got up at 10:30, and I'm not all that tired now. I always thought having to get up so much didn't do me much harm, but I guess it does. At least I know when I'm up every two hours, it makes for a long night.


I knitted another two rows. This one had only three beads per repeat, and I seemed to be knitting faster today. It still took me an hour and a half.


i was late enough that I didn't do much except for my surfing. Choir was tonight, and we had a good rehearsal, although we disagreed with Kathleen on how to do the song we're singing on Sunday. It's an aesthetic difference, and I guess we just have to expect things like that.


The weather was not very good. The temperature was almost steady, between 44 and 46, The wind was between 10 and 20 mph from the north. It was cloudy and dull all day. On my trip, I got sprinkled on lightly in both directions. The camera hung up twice, so I had to reboot right before i left. Good thing it came up normally.


The guys slept, but they both got some lap time. Grayson was waiting for me when I got home, but I was able to shoo him away from the door, so he didn't get out.


So that was it. Now it's a dark, cloudy night in the field, and there might be little rain or (dare I say it) snowflakes overnight. 


October 19

Late again, but not like the nights before. I think it was about 2:00 when I turned off the light. For some reason I was restless, so I didn't sleep very well. I was up several times before I finally got settled down. I finally got up around 10:30.


I knitted, and this was the row with four beads in each repeat - 122 beads - so it went very slowly.


That was about all I did. Ron was kind enough to bring the box from the post office, and between us, we got it emptied and broken down, and I now have lots of TP again. That was about all I did. I kept forgetting about the bulletin, so I just finished that (I hope - thankfully, Steve does proofread and back me up!).


The weather was sort of so-so. The high temperature was 52. For much of the day there wasn't a lot of wind, but it is picking up now, into the 15-25 mph range from the north. It was quite humid for most of the day, but the humidity is going down now. Except for right at sunrise, it was cloudy and dull all day, but there wasn't any rain.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me when he could, but I think Louie has been hanging out in the bathroom, where it's warm.


So it was a nothing day, and tonight is a hair night. It's a dark, cloudy, sort of windy night in the field.


October 18

Oh, I diddled around forever last night. The music was nice, although I turned it off around midnight, and I guess I just didn't want to move. That's a problem I have all the time, including today.


I didn't get up until around 11:30, and I knitted, so I was very late getting dressed, and as a result, I didn't do anything. After I wrote last night's entry, I discovered that my TP had been delivered on Saturday, to the post office (GRR, Walmart!!), but today is the day Ron isn't there, so I didn't have to go out. Tomorrow, probably, unless I can get him to bring it to me. I think Walmart has lost a customer. I know this "SmartPost" thing is good for them, but it is definitely not good for customers. Even where the post office delivers to homes, a package that big (6. 12-roll packages) should be delivered direct from FedEx (or UPS, at least in the summer). I told them so.


The weather was much better today. There was another 0.07" of rain after I wrote last night, but then it sort of settled down. It was cloudy this morning, but it cleared up rather nicely this afternoon. It was nice to see the sun again. It's always nice to see the sun. The high temperature was 57, and the wind was from the north, mostly in the 10 to 15 mph range. It was quite humid for a while, but the humidity has now gotten below 75%. I'm moving slowly.


The guys slept and I didn't see much of them, although Grayson did get a lot of lap time. Louie tried once, but it was when I was desperate to get to the potty, so he couldn't sit.


So that was a very quiet day. Tomorrow's knitting is the row with the most beads in it, 4 per repeat, so it will be a long session. The wood needles are making a big difference. 


Now it's a cool, dark night in the field, and since I haven't seen the moon, I guess it's gotten cloudy again.


October 17

I was so tired and sore that I didn't want to move, so I was very late getting to bed last night. I was awake around 8:30, but that didn't feel like nearly enough sleep, so I went back to bed, and I awoke rather abruptly around 10:30 and just had to lie there until my heart rate settled back down.


I didn't have time to knit, but maybe that was a good thing. I was almost late for my massage, because I had to go to the powder room twice before I left. My massage left me feeling much better, although with the weather the way it is, I'm still creaky.


I didn't do much of anything else, except that I did get another bag filled with papers and magazines. I had to; Grayson was grooming his whiskers on a torn paper bag and caused an avalanche that I couldn't walk around. It's much better now, although there are still all those orange bags and at least two more bags to fill with papers. I don't know what I'll do with those.


The weather was not very nice. I was up around 5:00 when we had what turned out to be a very strong thunderstorm, although there was only one bolt of lightening over the harbor. We got 0.87" of rain in three hours, most of which I slept through. The high temperature for the day was 58, so I could go out without a jacket - yea!! There wasn't much wind except during the rain, but the humidity was well over 90% all day. Then how come I can still move? Obviously I haven't gotten it figured out yet.


The guys slept, of course. I moved too fast for Grayson to sit on me after breakfast, so he slept on my lap for a long time after I got home, and I finally had to move him. I haven't seen much of Louie, but he knows I was annoyed with him. When I woke up around 8:30, he started meowing and he got onto the bed and started stomping on my arm until I pushed him off. Geez. They are both mollified, because I filled their kibble bowls, although Louie's wasn't empty. Geez. 


So that was another quiet day. The shipment of TP I was supposed to get today didn't come (GRR - Walmart!) but I hope it will come tomorrow. 


Now it's a cloudy, damp, and probably rainy night in the field.


October 16

I can't believe October is half over already, but I think I say that every month. Much as I knew about it, it still astonishes me how fast time passes as I get older. Thing is, days, and sometimes weeks, sometimes pass rather slowly, but months...Wow.


I made it into bed by 9:45 last night, but I was up several times, so I didn't get my full quota of sleep, and I'm going to be late tonight. I didn't want to get up when the alarm went off, but somehow, I managed to get to church about when I wanted to. At least at that hour of the morning, most of the traffic was going north. I did find a few cars parked on the covered road, but not many then. Coming home was another story.


When I looked out the windows, the full moon was casting a gorgeous glitter path on the harbor, and when I checked the camera archive, it caught the whole setting of the moon, even after it got light. I saved the pictures. It's October, so I really should set up the 2016 camera pages one of these days. I'll let you know when i do.


Church was pretty good, although I have a hard time hearing John sometimes (our lay preacher). He mumbles. I had an interesting conversation with someone (I won't say who) after the service, which brought home to me that not everybody in the congregation is on the same page. Not that I ever thought they would be, but it's discouraging how negative some people are.


I had to shop. I was out of lettuce and low on some other things, so off to Pat's I went. I spent a bit more than I hoped, but I have lots of good things to eat, including some whitefish! I think that's because, with the season ending, some of the restaurants that were taking all of Peterson's catch are closing. Anyway, I will eat well this week. I also had to get gas, after my trip to Houghton, but it wasn't a whole lot. So I was late getting home.


I was hungry, so I got a sandwich and ate it on my way home. I don't like to do that - I'd rather eat in the comfort of my own home - but it worked out all right. I also don't like to do it because I don't have any wet wipes in the car right now (need to fix that) and I probably ingested a whole lot of germs. But I was hungry, and the trip home was excruciatingly slow, what with all the gawkers on the road.


I was surprised by the number of people in Pat's, but I was later than usual getting there and I was moving even more slowly than usual, so it was late when I went through the checkout. 


The weather was fallish but rather nice. It was clear this morning and really pretty, but there were some clouds in the afternoon. The temperature during the day was steady around 50, but there wasn't any wind, so it was rather pleasant.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me for a while, and then he slept on the desk behind me. i haven't seen Louie since this morning, so he was sleeping, too.


Once I got the groceries packed away, I sat down in my chair and did nothing for the rest of the afternoon. Or half the night. Now it's late, but I want to sit a while and digest, so I'll be really late getting to bed tonight. I see Johanna tomorrow at 1:00, so I may not even get to knit tomorrow. 


Now it's a partly to mostly cloudy, cool night in the field.


October 15

It was down at 1:30, up at 9:30 and no nasty dreams, thankfully. i knitted, and the new needles will make everything easier. My hands feel better already. The metal needles are so slippery, and alpaca is so slippery, that I was having to clutch the stitches on every stitch. It will be better now, and I think it will go faster. At least it went faster today.


That was all I did. 


The weather wasn't very nice. The high temperature was (is) 62 and there was a bit of wind from the southwest, with gusts up to 18 mph. It will probably rain, and there might have been some drizzle earlier. So it was dark and dreary and dismal. I ignored it.


The guys did, too. They both got some lap time, and Grayson has wanted to sleep on me all day. Louie apparently feels pretty good, because he was trying to play with Grayson's tail this morning, which Grayson doesn't like at all. I think they just tolerate each other.


So I have nothing more to report, and now it's a dark, probably drizzly evening in the field and I hope to be in bed very early.


October 14

I actually made it into bed by 1:00, and I slept well, but I had a nasty dream around 5:00 that upset me - the first time in a long time. I got up around 10:45, and I knitted my two rows. These were fairly easy, because there were only two beads in each repeat. It should get easier from now on, because my wooden needles came today. That will be a relief. The metal needles were doing a job on my hands, because I had to clutch at the stitches to keep them from slipping off the needles. It should be better now, but we'll see in the morning. I had to go up to the north end later this afternoon, and I already have them on the cords, so I'm all set to go tomorrow.


Otherwise, the only thing I did was go to the post office, but I had a messy accident, so I had to clean up from that. And Grayson had nothing to do with it, either.


The weather was not what any weather services were predicting yesterday. The high temperature so far is 56, at 9:00 PM and there was a southwest wind, up to 32 mph. It was cloudy all day, but not especially dark. It was OK when I was out, but I had on my heavy fleece jacket. Maybe I didn't need that, but it was handy and I can get into it without too much of a struggle.


The guys slept. Grayson didn't even try to get on my lap after breakfast, but after I got home from the post office, he went to sleep and stayed for a long time, which upset Louie, who wanted to sit on me, too. First guy gets dibs, guys. When I came through the great room with my breakfast, there was a little cat toy in the middle of the path, so somebody was playing during the night. It was probably Grayson, because Louie doesn't play very much. I only wish they would do it when I can watch. Someone gave me a thing that fits over a door handle, and Louie has been pawing at that a bit lately, but it looks like he really doesn't know much about play.


Now I'm listening to Beethoven's Fifth, and when that ends, I'm going up to the north end and go to bed. Really. It's a cloudy, coolish night in the field.


October 13

So I zoned out again last night and I was stupidly late. I went right to sleep, but after I was up for the first time, I was cold, and I didn't sleep well. I got up around 11:00, I think, which was not nearly enough sleep.


I don't know why I was so cold. When I got up, I was so cold that I took my temperature - 96.5. I don't remember it ever being that low before. No wonder I was cold. It wasn't the temperature in the bedroom - that was 67, which is higher than it is for most of the winter. Anyway, I was cold all day. Even now, although I'm full of Chinese - yum! - I don't feel really warm, except that my hands aren't too cold. Weird. Maybe my metabolism is taking another dive.


I knitted. These rows went faster, even though there are 365 stitches, because there were only 53 beads. Slow as it is, I'm glad I'm putting in all the extra beads. It will be much prettier than the original.


I didn't do much of anything, since I was so late. I did call the gas company and get my contract nailed down. The person I spoke to didn't know why I hadn't gotten anything about that from them, but they are totally out of control anyway. I got a good price, much lower than last year, and my monthly budget bill should be much lower this year. That's good - maybe I can use that money constructively, although there are so many places to put it...


There was choir tonight, and while we had our accompanist, we didn't have our director. There are two songs we don't like and don't sing well, but there are several we do like and sing pretty well, mostly. The committee is getting together in a couple of weeks to try to plan out through the end of the year. We did three months the last time we met, and the end of November sort of snuck up on us.


The weather was not good again. It was cloudy and dull and the high temperature during the day was only about 43. It was windy overnight, but there wasn't much wind today. The only good thing was that the clouds went away to the north around sunset and there was a nice gibbous moon in the sky on my way home. Tomorrow should be better.


The guys were sleepy. Grayson got a little lap time, not a lot. However, he ran outside when I was coming in tonight, and he is still there. I think he does it just to annoy me; he knows there isn't anything interesting out there. Louie was sounding off, for some reason.


So it was another quiet day, and it's a cold (38 - first time under 40 since spring), partly cloudy night in the field. I have to shut off the lights, because the camera hung up around 8:30 and I need to reset it.


October 12

So I was ridiculously late again, and I didn't get nearly enough sleep. It was partly not wanting to take a bath and partly just not. I got up around 11:30, and I had to move to get out the door in time to get to the dentist. It takes a good hour to get to Houghton, so I wanted to leave before 1:45. I didn't quite make it, but there wasn't a lot of traffic - except for the idiot who jammed on his brakes and nearly made me rear-end him - but now that we can't shortcut around Hancock, it took a while. I wasn't late, though and Holly always is, so it worked out all right. I've never known a hygienist who wasn't late.


My teeth are in good shape, except that I will have to start using the Water Pik again. See you in April, Holly!


I got out at a very good time to go to Bambu, which, I think, is one reason I made the appointment for so late. I was interested, because for the first time since they opened, both handicap parking places were taken, but it wasn't a long walk from where I had to park. I'm not hung up on using a handicap place, at least  I had a lovely dinner, of which I brought some home for later, and I also brought home a bag of takeout for tomorrow. Oh, yum! My Chinese fix for fall.


I got home around 7:00. The breezeway was full of the packages that came today. Grayson will have his favorite food tomorrow, I have rice, and I have enough vitamin D3 for the next five years. That last was clearly a mistake, and I will have to call the company tomorrow. This is the second time lately that I've had trouble with their shipments, and it seems clear that they have a problem with their shippers. I do not need five years' worth of vitamin D3 - I might not even be here in five years (no, I'm not being morbid, I'm only being realistic. I don't plan that far ahead anymore).


The weather was execrable. The high temperature during the day was 47, and there was a strong north wind, with gusts as high as 38 mph. We had 0.38" of rain, most of it before noon, although it dribbled off all afternoon, including on my way home. It was dark and dull and gray and nasty. The only thing I don't understand is why I didn't hurt very much. There is clearly something going on here besides the weather, and I don't know what it is. I'll take it, because I was getting around pretty well, all things considered.


I guess the guys slept. Grayson slept on me before I left and he slept on me after I came home. Louie wanted to sit on me just about the time I went to get the rest of my dinner and my pills, so he didn't get any lap time, but he did get some loving this morning.


So that was my day, and I'm tired. The rest of the music tonight isn't particularly interesting, so the only reason I might be very late is inertia, of which I have a lot. Now it's a dark, cold, damp night in the field and that bed looks pretty good.


October 11

Oh, I was stupidly late last night and it was all because I spent too much time zoning out. I didn't get up until 11:30, although I was awake when the phone rang - it was the dentist's office reminding me of my appointment. It interests me that even after all the time I've been retired, I still wake up before the phone rings most of the time. 


I knitted, and it took a while. This row only had 85 beads, but about halfway across, I discovered that I'd dropped something and I had to fix that before I could go on. I guess I did it right, because when I inspected everything, I couldn't find the place where I made the mistake. The next few rows only have two beads in each repeat, but I have 359 stitches on the needle now, and it increases by 3 stitches every row. I had toyed with the idea of doing a third repeat of the second chart, but I don't think so. If I did that, I might never get it done before Christmas. It's such a pretty thing, though, that I will forge ahead.


I didn't do very much. I got the dishwasher almost ready to run, and I did the bulletin. Since I will be in Houghton (or on the road) for most of the afternoon tomorrow, I wanted to get the bulletin done early so I wouldn't be rushed.


The weather was miserable. The high temperature during the day was 59, which was bad enough, but it started raining around 5:00 AM and it rained off and on until around 2:00, for a total of 0.18". Needless to say, the humidity was over 90% for most of the day. It was dark and dull and miserable. Yuck. Curiously enough, I wasn't especially creaky, which leads me to wonder what the other things affecting my joints are.


The guys slept. Wise decision. Grayson wanted to sleep on me all day, and I kept having to move him. Louie came by once, but I was busy. He got his share; he slept with me for a good part of the night.


So that was another quiet day in the field, and now it's a dark, cloudy, cool night.


October 10

As usual, I spent too much time staring at the floor last night, so it was 1:30 or so, I think, when I got to bed. I slept well, and long, and I got up around 10:30. 


I knitted for a long time, but the row I was working on had 108 beads - four in every repeat - and it took me an hour and a half to knit it. The return row, all purled, only took about 25 minutes. I can see that shortly I won't be able to do even one whole row, and I see why the pattern only had beads every fourth row. The way I'm doing it is much prettier, but slow. Very slow.


That was all I did. I was late enough that I didn't have any time to get into anything much else.


The weather was pretty nice, I think. I didn't go out. The high temperature was 68, briefly, and there was a strong southwest wind, with gusts up to 29 mph. The humidity actually got down below 50% for a while, which was a relief. It was clear all day, until sunset, when the clouds began to move in, and when I went to get my dinner, the moon was shining through a layer of the little puffy clouds that look like a flock of sheep. The camera hung up once, but I was able to catch it pretty fast, so we got most of the afternoon. It was a pretty day, all blue. 


The mountain is beginning to show a bit of color, but not a whole lot. We change last. The MODIS images show that the spine of the peninsula is colored, but there is still a wide swath of green around the shore. I will be interested to see how it looks when I go down to town, which I have to do on Wednesday, to see the dentist.


The guys were sleepy. Grayson got some lap time and he caused me to have an accident. Louie has been sleeping on his scratching pad in the great room.


So that was my quiet day, and now it's a warmish, partly cloudy night in the field. i guess there's rain for tomorrow, again.


October 9

I actually got to bed about when I wanted to last night, but I had a rather restless night. It didn't seem to bother me, except when I first got up, though. I didn't fall asleep during the afternoon.


I was late leaving for church again, though. I was just moving slower than usual today. Church was good, with communion and a good sermon. The only thing I haven't quite figured out about Pastor Neider's sermons is, he will quote from one of the lessons for his text, but when he preaches, he never refers to it again. As the creator of the bulletins, I like to put something germane on the cover, and with him it's hard. We are getting used to each other now, though, and he is relaxing and sticking to the topic better and we are appreciating him more and more. Unfortunately, there isn't any way we could entice him out of retirement to be our fulltime pastor.


I had to get gas - it's gone up 5 a gallon in the past couple of weeks - but then I came right home. Slowly. First it was some of the Sunday color drivers, but I managed to pass most of those, although one guy actually pulled over on the covered road and let six of us pass. But further down the road we got behind some sort of semi-van (they are making the funniest looking vehicles these days!) that never went over 35 mph the whole rest of the way to Copper Harbor, and he wouldn't pull over, even though he had nine (NINE!!!!) cars behind him before we got to town. Ack. 


The color is developing very slowly this year, and I'm not sure how good it's going to be. While it's fully out in some spots, over most of the covered road it's not more than 50 - 60%. This is already very late. According to the paper, it's because it's been warmer than usual until the past couple of days. Not that we're complaining. Everybody was muttering about how cold it was this morning.


That is under 50. The high for the day was only 48, but there wasn't much wind. Still, that's a lot cooler than it's been until yesterday and we're not used to it. It was a rather strange day, weatherwise. Both going and coming, I kept running through patches of drizzle, and then a couple of miles down the road, the pavement was dry. Made things interesting. Of course, it was cloudy and dull all day, too. Not really very nice at all.


The guys slept. Grayson spent a long time on my lap, but he would just get comfortable and he would hear something that would get him agitated enough to go away. Louie got some lap time, too, but he wants a lap that is about twice as big as mine is - and he wants to lean on my arm, which I won't let him do, because it hurts.


Speaking of arms and things, my arm is continuing to heal. I could actually get my finger in my ear last night, although there are still a few places on my head that I can't reach. I can't completely extend my arm yet, but it's getting better. Most of the bruises are gone, except for the worst spots, like on the backside of my hand. There are still a number of places on my hand and arm where there aren't any bruises anymore that are still sore to the touch. So I'm healing quite well, thankfully. I won't be all winter at this, I'm sure.


So that was my day, and now it's past time to go to bed. It's a dark, probably cloudy, cold night in the field.


October 8

This is early, but it's been a mixed up day and I hope to get to bed early.


I think I was in bed by around midnight or a bit later. I slept fairly well, after a bit of trouble getting settled comfortably with Louie in the way. I got up around 10:00, I think, and I knitted my two rows. I'm not sure what I'll do when I can't do a whole row in one reasonable sitting anymore, since they all have beads and I'm not going to leave any beads sitting around loose. That's probably going to happen pretty soon, since I have 340 stitches on the needle now. It sure is a pretty thing, and I'm so glad I decided to put in more beads than the pattern said.


Today was washday. The second load is ready to go in the dryer, and I will do that on my way north. 


What got me mixed up was that I wanted to sit down to put on my sweats, which I didn't get until after I had the first load in the washer, so I came down to the studio...and I just never left, at least until around 4:00, I think. So I didn't get anything much to eat, and then I had to cook tonight, since I had a package of chicken that I defrosted last week. I did have a snack, but essentially I had one meal today. I don't like to do that, but by the time I did eat, I had stopped being hungry, I was just tired. My metabolism is weird, but then, I've always known that.


When i was up round 2:00 AM, I noticed that the wind was blowing pretty hard. It was, in the 20-30 mph range. The peak gusts were around 7:00 this morning, at 32 mph, but it's been windy and mostly cloudy all day. The high temperature only got to 50. I could tell it was cold from the temperature in the bedroom. There is something wrong with how the window seat is attached to the house, and a whole lot of air gets in there. So I cranked up the heat in the bathroom and partially closed the door, so at least it's warm in there. I don't mind sleeping when it's cool, as long as I can hunker down and make my own climate under the covers. It was cloudy and dull all day and it sort of spit rain all night. The humidity finally got down under 70%, so I don't hurt quite as much.


I hope there is a little sunshine tomorrow, because it looked to me like the leaves will probably peak this weekend, and it should be pretty, even though I will have a very slow drive home.


Oh, and the camera hung up a couple of tunes. After fiddling a lot, it seems like it isn't completely the camera's fault. Something evidently is leaking data, and in order to get it to restart, I have to shut down almost everything I'm doing, but I don't have to reboot. Weird. I will have to try some other combinations and see if I can nail down exactly what to do. My suspicions fall mostly on Explorer, but I can't prove that. Oh, and the camera driver, which is a MS product.


The guys slept. Grayson got some lap time, but not as much as he wanted, and he even got a little taste of chicken. I've heard Louie, but I haven't seen much of him. I think he's complaining about the situation in the basement (and that's all I'll say about that).


So it was a strange day, and it's time to toddle up to the north end. If i start early enough, maybe I can get enough sleep tonight?


Now it's a cold, cloudy, windy night in the field.


October 7

I was actually not too late for a choir night, but I got up in the bathroom and stared at the floor for too long. I got to bed about 2:00, and I slept fairly well. I had a sort of wakeful period later, but I guess I actually slept better than I thought. I got up around 11:00. I seem to get my 9 hours no matter when I start (except for Sundays).


I knitted two rows, and it took me an hour and a half. I've modified the pattern to put beads on every right side row, and now that's 54 beads. It will be much prettier, I think, especially because these beads are rather muted. They sure do look pretty against the pale blue, which is actually not to much different from the background of this page. One of my favorite colors, I guess.


Otherwise, I didn't do a lot. I went to the post office, where I discovered that apparently all Copper Harbor knows about my accident with the gate. Well, that's a small town for you. I don't mind. At least i didn't have to call 911.


And I got a Schwan's order. It wasn't big, but I was all out of fish, and the only frozen fish I really trust is from Schwan's.


I need to do some online shopping; I'm running out of TP, and that's serious. I could get it at Pat's, but it's so much more expensive there that I hate to do it. There are also vitamins on my list, as well as rice and cat food, all of which are much cheaper online. I must really get at that.


The weather was bad. Just about when I turned out the light last night, the heavens opened and we had a period of extremely heavy rain. It rained all night, more or less hard. It finally stopped around 10:00 this morning, with 0.37" total. The high temperature for the day was actually around 9:00, at 66, and by 10:00 it was down to 55 and on its way down. Now it's 45, and the only thing good about that is that it's a bit less humid. It was windy, too, with a northwest wind that peaked around 6:00 PM with 35 mph gusts. Of course, it was dull and cloudy all day. There was a ray or two of sunshine after about 6:30, but not much. The camera went down around 1:30, but there wasn't much to see except dark and darker clouds, so it wasn't serious. The humidity is actually down into the lower 60% range, for which I am thankful, although I didn't have much trouble earlier 0 maybe because the barometer was rising? I still can't figure it out.


The guys were sleepy, of course. Louie has taken up his position in the window seat, although he has shifted to the middle pillow, after I fiddled with the right-hand one he had been sleeping on. I thought I made it better, but obviously he didn't. Grayson has been sleeping on me when he could, and in fact, he wanted to do it again just now, but I'm busy. I didn't have an accident, but I did sort of pee my pants because he was asleep on my lap.


So it was another quiet and rather truncated day. I must finish listening to Dvorak's 9th - the "New World" symphony - but then I think I will try to get to bed at a reasonable hour. It's a cold, cloudy night in the field.


October 6

I was ridiculously late again last night, so I didn't get up until around noon. I knitted, but only two rows, and I got the scarf onto a longer needle. At least for a while, there's less possibility that it will fall off and unravel.


I was so late that I didn't have time to do anything but my surfing. Tonight was choir, and we had a director but no accompanist, so Kathleen did both. Most of the songs we picked out are coming together, although there are a couple that will need a lot more work. I think we're all right for Sunday.


The weather was nice. It was mostly sunny. The clouds were coming in around sunset, but when I came home, there was a nice little crescent moon off in the southwest, so it isn't completely cloudy yet. The high temperature was 63, and for most of the day the humidity was low enough to be tolerable. There was almost no wind.


The guys were sleepy. When I finally got up, Grayson was asleep on the left side of my pillow. He doesn't do that much, but he did today. He got some lap time, but not much, because I decided I was not going to have another accident today. He just got off my lap. When I came home, I had to go back out to the breezeway to get my JD and some cans of cat food for tomorrow, and when I came in after turning off the light, he jumped out the door. However, this time, he was ready to come in when I was ready to leave the kitchen. Then he was oh, so sweet, trying to get me to pet him. Little snot. Louie was sort of interested in going out when I left, but he moves more slowly, usually, and he didn't get out. He was around, but he didn't try to go out with Grayson. Louie goes out because of all the plastic bags out there. I don't know why Grayson does.


So that was a quiet and mostly useless day. Now it's a cold evening in the field and the clouds are moving in.


October 5

Today is my father's 104th birthday. 


I was late last night - and I will be tonight, too, because I have to wash my hair - but not nearly as late as the night before. I thought I might even get up at a reasonable hour, but evidently I was making up for lost sleep, and I didn't get up until 12:30! Then I knitted four rows of the new chart. Since I now have 321 stitches, that took a very long time. I am going to have to put everything on a longer needle, too, just to prevent a disaster.


The task of the day was the bulletin, and for a while I thought I wouldn't have the hymn list, but Jan came through and I got it off to Steve around 6:00. 


The weather was interesting. It was cloudy this morning, and while I was sitting with my knitting, it got very dark and then the heavens opened. Evidently, that was after 2:00. Over the next four hours, we had 0.4" of rain, but then the clouds rolled away to the east, the sun came out, and the rest of the day has been clear. The high temperature was 66, but that was before the rain started. There was some wind at times, with gusts up to 25 mph from the south. It was very humid, of course, and why I wasn't so sore is a mystery to me. Anyway, tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day. We can hope,


The guys slept. Grayson didn't get his morning sit on my lap because I got up and went to the powder room before I had an accident. He didn't come back, for some reason. I haven't seen Louie since this morning, but he mostly sleeps.


While my arm seems to get a bit better every day, I still can't flex it completely. I was able to sleep on it last night without much pain, but as it turned out, I probably could have slept on the floor without pain. There are some spots that are very painful to the touch, but the less deeply bruised spots are clearing up. My hand and wrist are still swollen, but I don't yet know if I will be able to wear my wristwatch tomorrow. And it does ache at times. Every time I look at the bruises, I think how close I came to breaking it, and I think I've been lucky.


Now it's a clear, breezy night in the field, and I must go to bed!

October 4

So I was ridiculously late. I think it was because I had such a hard time the night before, I didn't want to try it again. I finally got to bed, and I had a good night. I was up a couple of times, but i went right back to sleep, and I even slept on my left side for a while. I will try not to be so late again.


I knitted, and I finished the first chart. I have 309 stitches. I decided to add beads to the next two charts, and I may repeat the second chart at least one more time, since it looks like I'll have plenty of yarn. It will make the whole thing a lot longer, but it will also make it wider in the middle, which would be good. And while it wrapped around the model just fine, I probably weight three times what she does, so a bigger scarf would be better. We'll see how it goes.


I was so late, and I had an accident, so I didn't do much of anything.


The weather was nice, but not quite as nice as yesterday. The high temperature was 66, but the humidity didn't get below 70% and it was partly to mostly cloudy all day. There was a little south wind late in the afternoon, but not much. 


The guys slept. Grayson was the one who caused me to have the accident. I must really get up as soon as I finish my breakfast, just so he won't sit on me. He decided some time ago that after breakfast was when he wanted his love-in, but that's when I need to get to the bathroom. I didn't see much of Louie, at least yet.


So that was a truncated day. I'm still sleeping a lot. While my arm is healing, it still has quite a way to go, and that's taking a lot of energy. It is still swollen, and I don't think I can wear my wristwatch yet. Some of the smaller bruises are gone, but it will be a while before most of them fade away. Sometimes my elbow is still very stiff, and I can't flex it completely anytime, which is very inconvenient. I'm having a terrible time sitting down and getting up, and not having full use of my left arm is making it even harder. Well, it will heal in time.


Now it's a cloudy, relatively warm night in the field.


October 3

Late again, but this time I have a good excuse. Minnesota Public Radio live-streamed a concert by Chanticleer and Cantus together, and it just ended. Wow, do those guys know how to sing! While I'm not so much into men singing soprano and alto (since I'm a woman), the guys in Chanticleer are incredible - including a high C-sharp! And yes, I mean two octaves above middle C. Besides, there are only three sopranos and three altos, and with 14 guys (6 in Chanticleer and 8 in Cantus), I don't think many women could generate enough volume to be heard. It was great, and they had the video, too, so I could see them. This is when I really appreciate the Internet. I think it may be available later for viewing, but I'm not clear about that. Try the choral stream at http://www.yourclassical.org/


I had another bad night last night. I was up any number of times, and I didn't sleep all that well in between. I ended up on my back, unfortunately, and when I finally did get up this morning, my back was so stiff I could hardly move.


In fact, I could hardly move at all, so I didn't do anything except pay bills.


I'm still very stiff, but it's better because it turned out to be a beautiful day. It was clear all day and the high temperature was 68. For a couple of hours, the humidity actually got down to 50% or less. There wasn't any wind, It's humid again, of course, but for a while it was nice.


The guys slept. Louie just asked to sit on me, but I'm busy now.


So that was my day, and I'll be off to the north end soon. It's a clear, rather warm night in the field.


October 2

I'm late, but I had a hard time moving at all, so I just finished my dinner.


I made it into bed by about 9:45 last night, but it wasn't a good night. I know, I frequently have that problem on Saturdays, but this time it was mostly the humidity and my bruises. I kept waking up because I was so sore, and not just my arm - all over. I woke up around 6:15, and it was clear I wasn't going to get those last few minutes of sleep because I was so sore, so I got up. I was moving so slowly that I was very late leaving, and it was a wonder that I made it at all.


Church was good. There was communion, which was wonderful. Pastor Neider's sermon was well, a bit disjointed, but then, they always are. He had all the good words, though.


I came right home, but I sat in the powder room for quite a while before I changed my clothes and then I sat in the studio until a ridiculous hour. Even sitting, my right hip and my left shoulder and elbow were so sore that I was very twitchy. And then it went away. I don't know why, but that happens. Grayson thought it was wonderful to get to sleep on my lap. 


The weather was cool and damp - just the kind that is hardest on my bod. The high temperature was 62. The lowest humidity was 73%, when the temperature was highest, but for most of the day it was over 80%. Again, there was almost no wind. It was cloudy at sunrise, but it soon cleared up, and the afternoon was beautifully clear and blue. I think the camera hung up shortly after noon, but there wasn't much to see anyway.


The guys slept. Grayson slept on me a lot Sometimes it annoys me that he gets up and goes away when I twitch, but today it was a good thing. I haven't seen much of Louie, although I did have to shove him out of the way when I finally brought my dinner to the studio.


So that was a quiet Sunday. Now it's a clear, cool night in the field, and I'm late.


October 1

Ugh! I hate to write that date! At my age, I want to cling to every day as long as possible.


I don't remember when I turned out the light last night. It was either just before midnight or just before 1:00, probably the latter. I had a mixed up night. I was fine until I tried to turn over the first time, and my left shoulder just would not relax, plus my elbow hurt, so I didn't sleep very well for a couple of hours. Once I turned over again, I was fine, and when I tried my left side again, it was relaxed enough that nothing hurt. The shoulder thing is ongoing, of course, and I'll just have to remember that when it's that stiff, I shouldn't even try to sleep on it. 


As a result of all that, I didn't get up until around 10:30, I think, and I knitted six rows, I think. That took me couple of hours.


The only other thing I did was to wash my jeans. All four pairs were soiled, so it was time. With the weather as it is, I was having such a hard time getting up from any seat that things were even slower than usual today.


The temperature got up to 62, and there wasn't any wind at all, so it was probably rather nice outside. However, the lowest the humidity got was 80% and my joints were jumpin' all day. It was cloudy in the morning, but it cleared up some later in the day, but not completely.


The guys slept. Grayson didn't get much lap time because I had to run to the bathroom after breakfast (yes, I avoided another accident). He was around while I was eating dinner, but I was more interested in the food than in petting him, and of course I couldn't have him on my lap with my tray. He slept all afternoon on the pile of old flannel nightgowns outside the door to the office.


So that was a really quiet day, and now it's a partly cloudy, fairly warm evening in the field.


And it's October.

Last  updated 11/01/16 08:29 PM