A View From the Field








Journal January 2002


January  31

So I will wrap up the month.  January always seems like an especially long month to me. It must have something to do with the lack of sun.


Sure was no sun around here today!  When I got up this morning, it had snowed enough that you'd never have known Marty plowed yesterday, and the north and east windows were covered with raindrops. So were the trees. It continued to rain for some time, although I wasn't paying very much attention.  Around 2:30, I hauled the camera upstairs and took a couple of pictures of the pear tree, just to show the amount of ice.  Both the locust and the maple in front of the house had branches that were hanging so low over the driveway that if I'd backed out, they would have dragged over the roof of the car.  Everything was closed, of course, although it looked to me like my neighbor went to work (leaving her two kids with her husband!), and most everything that was happening was probably canceled.


I don't think it's over yet, according to the weather forecasts.  There is supposed to be more rain and freezing rain and more snow after that, so tomorrow isn't supposed to be much better.


Marty did come back and clean the driveway again, but of course now, with the new rain, it will turn into a skating rink.  Every time I think of that, I remember when I was a kid and the driveway did turn into a skating rink, covered completely with close to half an inch of ice.  My friends (Mary Lou, maybe?) and I were skating on it, and I hit one small patch that was bare and went down right on my tail bone. That's one of those hits that just stuns you for a few minutes. Maybe it isn't so bad for short people, but I was nearly at my full height and my tail bone is a good three feet off the ground. Ow!


Anyway, it was a good day to knit socks and I did.  I had noticed last night that sock #1 seemed somewhat long in the foot when I tried it on, and I took a more careful look at it today and discovered that I had made it 10 rows longer than it should be (misread 50 as 60 in my notes). Grrr. So after I finished sock #2, I ripped out the toe of sock #1 and did it over.  Somehow, those red socks just didn't want to be finished, but I did it, and I took a picture to prove it.  Hmm. I wonder why the spirals are so much bigger in one than in the other? I thought both skeins were the same dyelot?  Strange.


Anyway, I have now started one of the new socks, an unbelievable combination of rusty brown, pale blue, orange, magenta and green.  It looks just as wild as it sounds.  This yarn seems to work up in stripes of various widths, but we'll see what happens later on - I only have a little over two inches done. Anyway, it's nice yarn to knit with, and it's fun to work, because you never know what length of what color is coming next.  A good way to pass a dreary day.


I was going to start rearranging the website, but it's going to be a big job and I don't want to bother with it tonight.  I want to put all the pictures from last year on one thumbnail page and I am going to just have headers and one or two thumbnails on the Gallery page.  Otherwise the entire thing will get out of hand.  I still have a ton of shots from last summer and fall that I haven't published, and I suppose there will be just as many this year. The view out the windows is always changing, and it's always beautiful, and I will always want to share that.  


I also have some vague hope that as I continue to build strength, I will be able to go farther afield and take more pictures of more of my favorite places.  Then, too, there were a lot of trips I made down to Houghton when I saw wildflowers growing, especially along the Cliff Drive, and didn't have the camera.  There will always be new things to see and new places to go, and I really enjoy not only the going and doing but the pictures and sharing them with the site. 


So another month is history.  It certainly was a better one than January!


January 30

Winter arrived in Detroit today.


I was sitting in bed working madly on the second red sock last night (because 8 colorways of the craziest sock yarn I've ever seen arrived yesterday, and the rule is only one project per needle size) when the rain began pouring down as hard as it has rained since I've been home. By the time I went to bed (the leg was done) it had pretty much stopped.  I heard it again in the middle of the night, but when I woke up just before sunrise, there was snow on the roof.  It's been snowing ever since, more or less, sometimes big clumps, sometimes little flakes, and there must be five or six inches on the ground, and the winter storm warning is still in effect...there may be sleet, freezing rain, snow, what-have-you, until tomorrow night.


The ham hocks in the fridge and the great northern beans in the cupboard have been gnawing at me for some time, and when I looked out at the beautiful trees and the snow coming down, I decided this was a perfect day to do soup.  I boiled up the beans while I was eating, then after my morning upstairs, I started the soup.  I had to transfer it to one of the big pots, because when I got everything in, the 10 quart stockpot was full to the rim, and I didn't want soup boiling all over the stove (even though it needs cleaning again).  


I will have to make a notation on mama's bean soup recipe (the one with no directions), because two pounds of beans and four ham hocks made nearly 8 quarts of soup, which is more than I really need.  It tastes really good to me, although it was sweeter than I remember, I think because the carrots were so sweet, and it had more pepper than mama would have liked.  So there are now six green-topped containers in the freezer, and enough for another meal for me. Yum. I had a grilled cheese sandwich made with Cheshire cheese, and I am nice and stuffed and warm.


In the meantime, I turned the heel of the sock while I was waiting for things to boil, and as soon as I finish this, I will go upstairs and read and knit like crazy.


Choir practice was called off, no surprise.  I know Bruce didn't want to be driving from Dearborn in this weather, and there are a lot of people in the choir who wouldn't want to come out either. So we will assemble at 10am on Sunday and try to get our piece together.


The weather was a mixed bag in Copper Harbor today. While I was watching it this afternoon, it was snowing, but when I looked at all the pictures for the day, I discovered that for a while around noon, the sun came out and overexposed a couple of pictures - all that snow on the harbor makes it pretty bright.  It was clearing up around sunset, and there was one shot where I think you can see the lake effect clouds billowing up behind Hunter point.


For all the Yoopers who are bemoaning the nasty winter, I certainly wish our winter storm had tracked a couple of hundred miles to the north. We don't need this kind of mess in the city.  I'm certainly glad I'm not obligated to go out in it, and especially glad that I don't have a mandatory 30-mile commute anymore.  Traffic is crazy around here anyway, and when it's slippery it gets really psychotic.


DC and Buster visited their doctor yesterday, which was a trauma for all of us. There is a possibility that DC is developing hyperthyroidism, which is a common thing in old cats (he has to be over 13 years old now). We will watch him. Otherwise, they are both fine, and I collapsed when we got home.  The doctor did say I will just have to put up with Buster on the trip north.  There isn't anything that will keep him sedated for 11 hours, and it's possible that he would get more agitated after a short-acting sedative wore off.  Oh, well.  We can hope he'll get used to it...but the doctor did say some cats never do. Yiiee!


So off to my sock.  When I get one of the new ones done, I will take pictures. I owe Randi that. She hasn't seen any of this stuff made up. All the standing I had to do while creating soup has messed up my back, and I need to put it to bed.


But January is almost over! Only three and a half more months...


January 27

It's been another quiet week.  Tuesday I got a Hepatitis B shot, and by Thursday my left arm was so sore, I couldn't raise my hand above my shoulder.

The camera is still working, and the DSL is still working, so that's good.


The last few days we have had sunshine and warm temperatures, which I would call our usual January thaw, except that the entire month has been unusually warm and dry.  It's been cold in Copper Harbor, but the temperature has been cold, and there have been a couple of spectacular sunset shots.  The one thing about that camera (and I think I've said this before), when it's recording a very dark picture, the result frequently looks like a painting.


According to John Dee and everybody else, winter is supposed to return to all of us, even here in Detroit, by Wednesday at the latest.  There is a winter storm watch up for Keweenaw tomorrow.  I hope they get it.


Monday, I had to be at Cottage Hospital at 8:30 for my heart scan, which got me thinking about short days again.  I simply have an awful time getting up before it's light outside, and the sun still isn't rising until almost 8am. Then it sets around 5:30 in the evening.  When it's dark and gray and cloudy, I find it really gets to me. 


Since we are at the lower cusp of the analemma, this has been going on for some time, and sunrise and sunset won't start moving back much until February.  Thinking about the analemma again got me curious, and I found a wonderful website, http://www.analemma.com . Anything you might want to know about that phenomenon is explained clearly, and there are some neat side windows and Windows Media Player movies that you can view. Makes my little site look very amateurish, but then I'm not trying to teach astronomy (much).  Anyway, my feeling that we are stuck at the bottom, with short days and long nights, is in fact true, and we have been since November.  We start up the curve in the middle of February, and then the days get longer by several minutes every day.  Because we're in the northern hemisphere, the winter cusp lasts longer than the summer one. It's no wonder we get Seasonal Affective Disorder!  The days are short and gray and cold and it depresses everybody's spirits.  


That's why a couple of nice, sunny days are so welcome. I spent a lot of time fooling around in the sewing room (mostly moving things from point "A" to point "B" and back) over the past few days. That is the only room in the house that really gets the sun at this time of year, since it is on the southeast corner. For some reason, 47 seems such a big angle when I compare where the sun rises in winter to where it rises in summer...or in Copper Harbor, where it sets.


Well, pretty soon we'll be on the upward curve, and that will be nice.


I'm beginning to believe all the chemo did something long-term (hopefully not permanent) to my digestive tract.  I had another one of those little upsets the other night, which left me with a very rocky stomach for most of Friday.  I've had several of those over the past six months or so, many more than I ever had before. I will have to discuss that with Dr. Lehman.


I also found out why the breathing tests and heart scans. It seems the toxic results of the high-dosage chemo may not show up in the heart and lungs for some time, so they have to keep testing to make sure I'm all right.  I think I am, but we will see what the test results show.


So another quiet week, and more to come.


January 18

So it's Friday again, and I thought I would catch up on another week... 


Tuesday I saw the doctor, and he had a resident with him, and I find it is not reassuring when one knows more about one's disease than the resident...she knew nothing at all about bone marrow transplants or how they were done or why... Scary. Lehman will set her straight.


He interpreted the letter from U of M as saying they want all the tests now, so Wednesday at 9am I was at Bon Secours Hospital breathing into a machine. The Pulmonary Function Test is a real workout, and besides, the cats were romping around from around 1:30 until close to 4:00, and I had to get up much earlier than I am used to, so when I was got home, I was exhausted.


Fortunately for me, choir was called off (choir director carless, and besides there was snow).  I came up out of the basement around 9:30, and there was a little over an inch of snow. Every twig and branch of the pear tree had a little mound on it, and the spruces were all covered, and with the red glow from the city lights, it was a real fairyland. It was all off the trees by morning, of course, but more snow fell, and Marty was around about 3am to clear the driveway.  Didn't keep me awake.


Monday I have to be at Cottage at 8:30 for the MUGA.  I should have told them I couldn't get there that early.  Somehow I end up being the guy who gets the early appointments. After all, there is no hurry to get the tests done.


Tuesday, I got a pneumonia shot (and had a sore arm for two days), and next Tuesday I will get a Hepatitis B shot, so the re-immunizations are starting. I don't mind the hepatitis-B: I've never had that. The rest I wonder about. I don't yet know what Lehman is planning to do about things like diphtheria and polio.  They don't have those around, since normally they are given to kids.


So it has been a quiet week again.  The camera and the DSL are both still working.  It's been snowing in Copper Harbor.  The pictures from Thursday were really interesting: there were several when you couldn't see anything beyond the lighthouse point, for the snow.  The harbor is finally frozen over, although I don't think I'd want to walk on it yet. It looks like finally the snows have come to Keweenaw.  They haven't had 100" yet, which means they will have to go some to get to the average 240". The second half of 2001 was a really strange one.


Another week closer to May...


January 12

Well, a  couple of days can make a big difference.


On Thursday, Debbie and I had lunch at Charlie's Crab, which is across the street from the old NBD tower in Troy.  The tower is for lease, and there is a huge, tacky sign where the NBD logo used to be.  Tacky, tacky, tacky!


Anyway, Charlie's Crab is as good as the Gandy Dancer, and just as expensive.  Most restaurants have a luncheon menu which has smaller portions than the dinner menu, and is less expensive, but it appears that they don't. Not that I'm complaining.  "As good as the Gandy Dancer" means I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and stuffed myself, and got rid of the $100 bill that has been cluttering up my wallet since I got home.  Yum.


Since I clearly wasn't going to have anything else to eat that day, I repaired to the basement and attacked the computer again.  It turns out that actually getting rid of the entire DSL application entailed a lot more than I had thought, and there were still pieces of it out on the disk.  So I got rid of those, checked thoroughly that it was all gone, and started over.


There had been a couple of weird calls from Ameritech, saying they wanted to dispatch a technician (for what?), but the number she left sounded like a computer when I called it, and the number she had called on (Caller ID is a really helpful thing to have) didn't answer at 4:30.


So I started from scratch, and wrote down every step, what happened, and what I saw.  I wish I had done that the first time.  Just from the way the install behaved I could tell that I hadn't gotten a good install of the basic drivers the first time, and I did this time.  I got only one blue screen, out of the Ameritech software, at a place where I'd gotten it before.


However, when I tried to sign in, I got the same old-same old, where I couldn't get MSN, but I could get PastyNet. Oh, no, I thought. So I powered down the PC, unplugged the modem, plugged it in again, and tried again...FOUR times.  Then I tried the fifth time, and it worked like a champ...and has worked ever since.  Not for nothing did I spend 33 years in the business. I still don't trust it, but so far, my only complaint is that at takes three or four minutes to connect. Once I'm connected - zowee!  The largest images and fullest pages load almost instantaneously.  I can run the radio and load practically any page and not have the sound stream cut out.


Now, if only all this had happened a month ago...


I think it was a combination of a bad load of the low-level drivers and that something was jacked up in my TCP/IP addressing, which I think had probably been that way from the time I got the PC.  I am going to have to make a list of all the maintenance I want to do on the Copper Harbor PC when I get there, including deleting and re-adding all the TCP/IP network connections. Once I get there in May, it can rain for two weeks, and I'll have plenty to keep me busy, just with the computer.


And speaking of Copper Harbor, yesterday, when I logged on to see if things were working, one of my most helpful correspondents had sent an email saying that the camera was WORKING!  Apparently Jonathan arrived around 10:15 Thursday night, which was after I hung it up for the night, and got everything set up properly.  So far, so good.  Twice now, something has happened around 10:30 on a Sunday night, so we shall see.  He also set up the timer so that the last picture is sent around 6:30 (fine for now, but when it begins to be light later, he's going to have to change that), so we may be in good shape.  I still wish I would hear from those people more often, telling me what was wrong and what they are doing.  It's very frustrating to me not to have a clue about what went wrong and what he saw when he got there.


Well, next year should be different.  With the new software and new hardware, I think the camera will be a lot more stable, and I expect to leave Laplink running all the time, so that I can dial in if the line is free, and maybe even access the computer through the internet if the phone line is still connected. Or maybe the uploads will be going over a satellite connection and the phone line will be free.  Hmmm...  


I don't like other people fiddling around with MY computer when I'm not there and I don't know what they're doing.


Yesterday afternoon, I visited Carey for the first time since I've been back, and we had a nice visit, and I came home with a lovely daylight lamp, which looks like a regular floor lamp with a clamp and a magnifier attached to it.  I had seen it over the summer, and I also saw it in a couple of catalogs, and it's a much nicer looking thing than most of the magnifying lamps.  I was a little sorry to have to get it here and now, but I will just have to ship it to myself.  The maker was really wishy-washy about whether they could drop-ship it to Copper Harbor, and besides, she gave me a good price.  So I will add it to the pile of things I already know will be going with me.  Reading and embroidering in the ugly chair will be a lot nicer this year.


This afternoon, I made myself boil up my turkey stock and finish the soup.  I just hadn't gotten around to it, and I would hate to have all that good stock go to waste.  I now have six containers of turkey soup in the freezer, and there was about a cup left over, so I could taste-test it.  It's pretty good soup.


I also have ham hocks in the fridge and navy beans in the cupboard, so the soup pot isn't going to cool off. The freezer is getting really full of good things, so I won't have to worry about eating TV dinners for a while.


It's also nice to have all the shelves back in the fridge again.  How I hate that thing!  However...


I got a book on HTML, and the next task is to figure out how to make the live cam page update itself automatically.  I will be fiddling with that for the next few days.  Jonathan has the camera updating every fifteen minutes...which would be nice if something was going on, but it means getting the page to update automatically is even more important.  I guess I'm committed to this website thing, so I'd better make sure I know how to make it do what I want it to.


So that has been the week.  Quiet, but I did accomplish a few things.  Tuesday I see the doctor and get my Mediport flushed, but other than that, it's still quiet on Champine...


January 8

Well, it's been a while.  It's been a quiet week on Champine...


Not much has changed.  The camera is still down.  The DSL still doesn't work right. I'm still getting up late and going to bed late.  The house is still a mess, although I did get rid of some of the catalogs.


Let's see.  I understand the camera will be up whenever the new gizmo comes in.  I should have gotten somebody else to reboot the computer, since that's all it needs right now.  I've spent some time talking to a couple of people on John Dee's website, and I now have a plan of action for when I get back to Copper Harbor.  At least a couple of people have attached a plain-vanilla household timer to the power cord, which power fails the computer every night, and that solves most of the hang-ups.  In order to do that, I'll have to have a different piece of software, which I've identified, that will start up with the preview screen open.  I've also been impressed by the color in the Logitech camera, so I'm planning to get that, too.  However, first, I will set up the Intel with the new software and the timer, and check that out, then I will put in the new camera.  So all I have to do now is wait until the middle of May...


The less said about the DSL the better.  I think I'm going to try to get rid of it.  Not that I don't love it when it works, I'm just getting tired of it taking me an hour to get a good connection.  Besides, I've reinstalled the software at least half a dozen times, and every time I do, I get a different set of symptoms.  Nobody has called me on the trouble call that was escalated.  I'm fed up with it.  There's still cable and satellite - or plain old, slower dial up.  I think I may be able to talk to MSN about DSL, too.  A pox on Ameritech.


I finally got around to boiling down my turkey carcasses yesterday, and I have what looks like about eight quarts of turkey stock in the fridge. I had to take out one shelf to get the pot in, and I had to go to the supermarket today and get some thin noodles.  Maybe tomorrow I will boil up the noodles, add the meat of last year's breast, and  bottle it up in freezer containers. My freezer is getting very full of good things.


There was a slight pause there, while I took tonight's repast out of the oven - spare ribs made by grandma's old recipe, where the sauce is made of watered-down ketchup spiced up a bit, with sliced onions, and the whole thing gets thrown in the oven for a couple of hours to braise.  It's not the prettiest dish, since the ribs don't brown, but it tastes pretty good.  Also throw a few Yukon Gold potatoes in for the last hour, and - yum.  I've eaten so much poultry and beef lately that pork the old-fashioned way tastes good. 


And I just realized that Yukon Gold potatoes have a much sweeter taste than plain old Idahos.   I use them for mashed potatoes all the time, but they also bake beautifully.  


If I never use a recipe out of the last release of  "The Joy of Cooking" (and I may not - too finicky-French for me to bother), I've learned a ton about food in general from reading it.  The year of the chemo (1998) I spent a lot of time reading cookbooks, trying to find something easy to cook that I felt I could eat. I never did, but in the meantime, I learned how to cook a medium-rare roast of beef and all about the interesting varieties of potatoes.  I haven't tried Russets yet, but one of these days I will.  I don't believe they bake too well, but Mariner North makes wonderful mashed out of them.  There are other varieties that are apparently even better, but I don't know where to find them, even around here.  So I use mostly Yukon Golds.


It's fortunate that most of my "with potatoes" recipes are winter things, because I haven't found a Yukon Gold in EconoFoods yet.  I'm also eating a lot of lamb, because they don't carry chops or shanks there.  They have lots of beef, particularly the less tender cuts, and more pork than I've ever seen anywhere else.  Apparently pork is a staple of the Copper Country.  For myself, I don't eat much of it - I think I got over-filled when I was a kid and pork was very fatty - and I have to be in the right mood.  Like now, after all the turkey and a few steaks.


So much for the food.  I'm sort of reorganizing the sewing room (again), but my trouble is that when I get up there I start working on some project instead of moving stuff around. I want to be able to get at the drawers in the chest, which has meant storing some of the stuff that was there elsewhere.  I got the shelving unit out of the cupboard over the stairway, since it was just taking up room, and it was essentially useless.  I've gone to file storage boxes, and I think that may work.  I could, if I wanted, pile them four high in the cupboard, and that is a lot of storage.  I designated one box the "junk" box, and all the stuff that has been lying around in little baskets is now in it. Better all in one place than all over the place...


I did discover the last remains of the water I got in there a year ago January - as I recall, the day before I left for the hospital, there was water pouring down around the window frame, because the ice had built up under the shingles on the roof.  I thought I caught it before it did too much damage, but I discovered that some of the papers I had under one of the sewing tables had gotten wet and moldy - so I got rid of that stuff.  I'm putting floss boxes there now, so I'll just have to hope that the plastic bags the floss is in will protect it.  Or that now that I finally have somebody reliable to clean the gutters, I won't have a water problem again.


I still seem to need 10 hours' sleep, or more, and the problem I discovered is that when I do get to bed early, and get up early, I feel so charged up that the next day I go right back to my old habits and hours.  If I don't get up until 9:30, it's close to 11 before I get back upstairs after breakfast, and then there's the morning embroidery... I am just not a morning person, I never was, and I never will be, even though morning in Copper Harbor can be so beautiful...  While I don't mind going to bed while it is still light, I absolutely abhor getting up in the dark.  Since even here, the sun doesn't rise until 8 am, (8:40 in Copper Harbor!) that means no early mornings.  Sorry, folks.


I also discovered that Tom Boost has been doing a fabulous job of looking after my house.  He reported to Philippe that I lost some siding in the gale, and after he talked to the plumber, he tested the antifreeze in my heating pipes and discovered that it was freezing at just under 0 - probably safe, but not really good.  


So I called him and got a complete report. Now I know why the camera came back up after 9 hours, while the report was that the power was out for 22 hours during that blow:  he went out and fired up the generator!  He also went out after the power came on in town, and discovered that it wasn't on in Norland, and reported back to UPPCO.  Sweet man!


He has also shut down the water pump and filled the pipes with antifreeze, so if anything did happen to the heat, nothing should burst.  He is going to find out about a dial-out thermometer, too, so he won't have to keep running out to check the heat.  I had a line on one, but it only called one number, and he knows about one that will call up to four.  Oh, the joys of two households!  


The man is a gem, anyway, and I'm really lucky to have my house in the woods being looked after by such a person.  Things are certainly different than they are around here!


So that brings everything up to date that I can think of.  Now that I know that the water system is shut down, I will put aside any ideas of running off to Rainbow's End in the middle of winter - drat! - and wait patiently until May.


January 1, 2002

Since I had to do maintenance on the web anyway, I thought I would write an entry for the first day of the new year.  Another nice, quiet day.


I arose at a more human hour (8:30) this morning, in the hope that I can retrain my body a bit.  I expect it will work, since last night I got into bed at around 11:30, and I discovered that the shooting was already going on.  I kept hearing something that sounded like a slow-speed machine gun. I didn't think it was legal to own automatic weapons, but if there are any out there, they'll be in Detroit.  The Detroit authorities were trying to convince people to ring church bells instead of shooting their guns, but by my observation, it didn't work.  The shooting started around 11:30 and stopped about 12:20 this morning.  I know the Asian people believe that the noise of fireworks scares the evil spirits away, and evidently my northern European ancestors believed the same thing.  I do know that years ago, my mother's German extended family used to join the general fun and shoot off their guns (they were all hunters).  Not only is that a lot of lead flying around, by that time most people have been imbibing for some time, and a loaded gun in the hands of a drunk is really scary.


Which reminds me of the autumn day many years ago when my mother and I were chased halfway from Schlatter Lake to High Rock Bay by a beagle, and when we passed its owner, he was standing with a beer can in his hand, so far gone that he could hardly stand up.  We had a good time out at the end of Keweenaw point, but I've always been a little wary of driving the logging trails during small game season ever since.


Anyway. since even a hot shower after sitting down here in the basement for some time hadn't really warmed me up, it took me a while to get to sleep.  When i woke up at 8:30, I toyed with the notion of going back to sleep, but that's what I've been doing lately, and I've been getting up after 10:00.  Maybe that will work when I'm hermiting in Copper Harbor, and the telescope beckons, but around here, I really have to try to keep more human hours.  I seem to need about 11 hours in bed, what with the trying to find a comfortable place to lie, so I will just have to start it earlier.


A friend came to borrow a knitting needle, but other than that, I spent the day finishing up the 2001 ledger.  I wonder why it was that yesterday I could not find one MasterCard bill which today was right in the pile with the others - which I discovered after going through all my other 2001 files!


All of the above has gotten me ruminating about the strange ways one's perception of time changes as one grows older.  It's not just me, my mother had the same problems.  Weeks and months seem to fly by: I can't believe I actually was in Copper Harbor for six months - it feels like six weeks!  And yet everything I do on a daily basis, like cooking and getting ready for bed or church or paying bills takes twice as long as it used to.  It leaves me feeling slightly dizzy. I had originally written "seems to take" in that sentence, but the  sad fact is, things like bathing and dressing do take me longer than they used to. Or maybe time seems to pass more quickly because my perception of it is slower?  It's a discombobulating phenomenon.


The bright side of it is that before I know it, I'll be packing for another summer in Copper Harbor, and it seems like I only just got back from last summer! Much as I enjoy the things I do outside of home here in the big city, my heart and my tap root are firmly planted at Rainbow's End.


Just a note about the camera:  Charlie and Jonathan are getting a piece of hardware that will let them reboot the computer without having to be physically present, and hopefully that will mean it will be up more than it's down.  I am really disappointed that it has been so unreliable this winter, and I am going to be trying to find all the ways - from a UPS to a separate computer just for the camera - to make it more reliable in the future.  Unfortunately, we will probably just have to deal with the setup there is until after I get back there - May 15! 


I always did kind of call it the "computer room", and it sure looks like it will be! I  became married to computers in about 1963, and I haven't been able to get a divorce yet!



Last  updated 08/04/11 08:45 PM